blinkboy Member 40 Member For: 18y 8m 13d Posted 15/09/08 09:35 AM Posted 15/09/08 09:35 AM I have 300+ on the t5 with standard clutch and have had it like that for about 2 months now, and I give it a bit. Still strong. 90000ks on the clock
robbo T Member 27 Member For: 18y 1m 22d Gender: Male Location: tassie Posted 15/09/08 10:10 AM Posted 15/09/08 10:10 AM ive blown mine up only 2 weeks ago, I had replaced the clutch with a spec stage 3 only about a month before hand as that was slipping! mine has 280rwkw
st3lthxr6t Legacy Donating Member 44 Member For: 20y 6m 27d Gender: Male Location: Moonta, SA Posted 15/09/08 10:15 AM Author Posted 15/09/08 10:15 AM I have 300+ on the t5 with standard clutch and have had it like that for about 2 months now, and I give it a bit. Still strong. 90000ks on the clockis that rwkw? my standard clutch used to slip in 3rd with 260rwkw, I might just go for 300 and start looking for a 56. its fun enough as it is so 300 should be good.... well for now anyway..
blinkboy Member 40 Member For: 18y 8m 13d Posted 15/09/08 10:41 PM Posted 15/09/08 10:41 PM is that rwkw? my standard clutch used to slip in 3rd with 260rwkw, I might just go for 300 and start looking for a 56. its fun enough as it is so 300 should be good.... well for now anyway.. yeah that is rwkws, If u treat it well they seem to be fine. I got my tuner to make my boost come on smooth as to reserve my gearbox and clutch, but later on I will be going a t56, just wish there were more options out there.
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 8d Posted 16/09/08 12:16 AM Posted 16/09/08 12:16 AM yeah that is rwkws, If u treat it well they seem to be fine. I got my tuner to make my boost come on smooth as to reserve my gearbox and clutch, but later on I will be going a t56, just wish there were more options out there.The T5 gearbox is a timebomb in edited T's. As someone mentioned before, it's the torque that will kill it more than anything else. A standard clutch will help protect it as it will begin to slip with a power/turque increase. A softc0ck tune with boost and turque brought in gradually and further up the rev range will also assist. Anything aggressive down low will destroy it very quickly.My first T did not last long after the tune and clutch upgrade.
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 8m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/09/08 12:46 AM Posted 16/09/08 12:46 AM Mine's lasted over 300kw with a twin plate punishing it and no dramas here give it hits all the time118 xxx kms and still going and going, no problems what so ever...Good linear tune with no cronic torque hit and the T5 should be alright mate but your pushing it like me! I dont know why everyone rites them off, if there treated right (serviced) and tuned conservatively they can hold decent numbers.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 28d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 16/09/08 12:53 AM Posted 16/09/08 12:53 AM But that's the thing mate, the tune is always a comprimise to save the box. If you want the full potential of your engine and you want to drag it or hit the circuit, its not gonna hold up.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 16/09/08 12:57 AM Posted 16/09/08 12:57 AM I dont know why everyone rites them off, if there treated right (serviced) and tuned conservatively they can hold decent numbers.Possibly if your nan drives your car. I've lost count of the number of people on this site who have made similar statements then a month or two later they are asking about t56 conversions....not wishing ill upon you or your car but the fact of the matter is the t5 isn't up to the potential of these cars. As Senna said, you compromising the full potential of the engine. No amount of servicing is going to stop and input shaft twisting or 2nd gear shearing teeth off itself.....
st3lthxr6t Legacy Donating Member 44 Member For: 20y 6m 27d Gender: Male Location: Moonta, SA Posted 16/09/08 01:08 AM Author Posted 16/09/08 01:08 AM thanks guys for the info, seems like either luck of the draw or just not tuning in to much boost down low, I might just play it safe. better to have fun with 280rwkw than broken car in shed!
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 8m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/09/08 01:38 AM Posted 16/09/08 01:38 AM thanks guys for the info, seems like either luck of the draw or just not tuning in to much boost down low, I might just play it safe. better to have fun with 280rwkw than broken car in shed! Smart man, I agree with you mate, better to drive than fix I reckon and a bit of mechanical empathy helps though.Nice sensible street car not too off its tits.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now