Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/05/08 10:30 AM Posted 19/05/08 10:30 AM ok guys and girls, here is the million dollar question.I had my rear diff mounting bush (big f off 6 inch dia thing) replaced and I can hear the amount of backlash my diff has. Thud when changing gears or backing off, now this is annoying and seeing as I'm fussy turning up the stereo just do not fix it for me =)Has anyone had the same backlsh probs before and what was the $$$ damage to the hip?CheersRyan
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 3m 4d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 19/05/08 10:35 AM Posted 19/05/08 10:35 AM Nearly every manual has it to some degree, if you try to get it fixed under warranty you will be told its within spec, but Mal Wood sells a dif center that will fix it.
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/05/08 10:40 AM Author Posted 19/05/08 10:40 AM whoops should of said 110000kms and 03 model = no warranty...Just starting to annoy me now so time to fix haha =)
Felix Large Member Member 564 Member For: 19y 8m 5d Location: Brisvegas Posted 19/05/08 11:42 AM Posted 19/05/08 11:42 AM Nearly every manual has it to some degree, if you try to get it fixed under warranty you will be told its within spec, but Mal Wood sells a dif center that will fix it.His diff centers fix backlash? Since my prang, mines got sooo worse, plus it clunks when backing off now to. Its a ZF auto, not a man.Felix
XRPete Member 673 Member For: 19y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: Here Posted 21/05/08 06:12 AM Posted 21/05/08 06:12 AM its supposed to help felix.I'm getting one put in mine in the near future. Its a sedan but if ya wait a month I'll let ya know.
groper Member 611 Member For: 19y 8m 10d Posted 21/05/08 07:33 AM Posted 21/05/08 07:33 AM to rebuild diff, not including parts, $500 labour...I just did a pinion and ring gear swap 2 weeks ago...bearings are about $200pinion and ring gears $300 second hand, or about $800 new.
Ghosti NOT THERE!... THERE! Member 852 Member For: 18y 5m 18d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 21/05/08 09:19 AM Posted 21/05/08 09:19 AM to rebuild diff, not including parts, $500 labour...I just did a pinion and ring gear swap 2 weeks ago...bearings are about $200pinion and ring gears $300 second hand, or about $800 new.And has it killed the backlash/clunking? Even temporarily.
ferlauto87 Member 32 Member For: 18y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Country VIC Posted 21/05/08 10:22 AM Posted 21/05/08 10:22 AM The "clunk" or backlash is the crown wheel not meshed right with the pinion, the crown wheel needs to be adjusted closer to the pinion, but doing so can change the tooth contact pattern and to tight (no backlash) wears the parts quickly, best to leave it to the pros if not too confident.My 2 cents
groper Member 611 Member For: 19y 8m 10d Posted 21/05/08 12:12 PM Posted 21/05/08 12:12 PM I didnt have a problem, my diff was fine... I changed the gears simply to change the gearing...I belive the above post is correct, they just need to be reset, to mesh correctly, you probably wont need any parts unless for some reason they are badly worn, the bearings are somthing you would do if it had seen alot of miles, preventative maintenance if you went to the trouble of rebuilding it...
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 22/05/08 11:39 PM Author Posted 22/05/08 11:39 PM I thought it might have been the teeth not in correct mesh but I'm not about to go poking ito it, so off the the diff shop for a look see now it is.Cheers guys!Ryan
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now