hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 21d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 27/03/08 08:05 AM Posted 27/03/08 08:05 AM (edited) I bought a stainless Magnaflow cat a little while ago and its now time to have it fitted. Its SINGLE 3inch in and 3inch out. Spoke to all the mufflers shops in town about it and it seems that none of them have had experience with fitting a hi flow cat to a STOCK XR6 Turbo exhaust system. The one shop that ill probably go with suggested doing this: Flange either end, Run a single 3in pipe out of the cat, kick it sideways towards the passenger side, then send it towards the rear (as per stock) then fit a Y piece with twin pipes leading to a flange so it bolts up to the remainder of STOCK exhaust. I realise there is this X-force pipe on the market, buts its pretty steep for a piece of pipe.... Heres my wonderful PAINT sketch idea..... How have others done this? Opinions? Edited 27/03/08 08:06 AM by hanra
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 15d Posted 27/03/08 08:26 AM Posted 27/03/08 08:26 AM I have seen a shop do something similar to that. Bends were absolute rubbish and the stock section flowed more. Do yourself a favor and get a BF front pipe. This has a 3 inch in and 3 inch out of the stock cat. So all that need to be done is weld in a new cat.
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 21d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 27/03/08 08:51 AM Author Posted 27/03/08 08:51 AM Is the BF pipe different to the BA? This is ute by the way.
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 2m 28d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 27/03/08 01:41 PM Posted 27/03/08 01:41 PM As fatsex posted get a BF pipe. The 3" cat is useless with a BA...reason being the BA had a 3" in and twin exit, whereas the BF is 3" in and out so your cat is a basic fit to a BF pipe. I had a 3" in/out (5" body) welded to a BF pipe and then fitted to the car for $82
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 21d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 27/03/08 09:11 PM Author Posted 27/03/08 09:11 PM (edited) When you say that cat is useless with a BA, I havnt found any aftermarket hi flow cats that have a twin exit. I always intended on getting the pipes modded to fit this. What do others do with BA's? So the BF front pipe would consist of, the pipe leading down from the dump off the turbo, the cat and the rear pipe out of the cat? Chances of me finding one up here 0. Id have to buy something off Ebay then fork out freight to get it up here, then get the cat fitted....... Could work out a little more expensive for me.... Edited 27/03/08 09:12 PM by hanra
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/03/08 11:29 PM Posted 27/03/08 11:29 PM You could do as I have done, and get a single mandrel bent section, back to the first flange point (as in your diagram) but you are up for a couple of hundred bucks to get it made up.My system is 3.5inch cat, into 3.5inch mandrel, then a nice collector to mate back to twin 2.25 at the first flange.seeing as though you have a 3" cat, you might as well try and save some effort and expense by sourcing a BF front section, cut out the standard cat and weld in yours.If you are able to exchange it (I.e its new and unopened, I'd highly recommend a 3.5" - 4" cat. then do this section in 3.5 or 4" to suit.
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 21d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 28/03/08 12:13 AM Author Posted 28/03/08 12:13 AM seeing as though you have a 3" cat, you might as well try and save some effort and expense by sourcing a BF front section, cut out the standard cat and weld in yours.If you are able to exchange it (I.e its new and unopened, I'd highly recommend a 3.5" - 4" cat. then do this section in 3.5 or 4" to suit.Chances of me finding one up here 0. Id have to buy something off Ebay down south then fork out freight to get it up here, then get the cat fitted....... Could work out a little more expensive for me....This cat is still new, its a 4.25in body with 3in inlet and outlet. Are you suggesting a 3.5-4in inlet/outlet? The body of the thing would be huge..... I would probably end up with ground clearance issues as my ute is pretty low as it is.
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 21d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 28/03/08 07:47 AM Author Posted 28/03/08 07:47 AM Any more ideas people? Where would I even start looking for a BF front pipe, other then Ebay?
neoppg Member 89 Member For: 19y 4m 5d Location: brisbane Posted 28/03/08 01:49 PM Posted 28/03/08 01:49 PM Any more ideas people? Where would I even start looking for a BF front pipe, other then Ebay?where are you located?
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 28/03/08 02:34 PM Posted 28/03/08 02:34 PM (edited) [Get your cat put in the same place as the original, and have them make up a collector to go from your 3 inch cat to your 2 x 2.25 pipes. This will be easiest and relatively cheap. I will take a photo of mine tomorrow and post it. I dont need to post a picture, just look at the photo in your first post, that's what your front section will look like. I would get flanges welded on so you can change things if you want later. Edited 28/03/08 02:37 PM by arronm
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now