Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Hi All,

Just wondering at what sort of rwkw figure does a good 3" exhaust become a limitation?

I'd like to stick to 3" for budget and ground clearance, but am just wondering where it will become a restriction?

Thanks,

Justin.

  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

beleive it or not, but the 3" exhaust is about the same as the standard system in the XR. The standard is Dual 2.25" and that equals 4.5" so do the math. 3.5" is the smallest anyone should go on these cars if they are looking for more than 280rwkw IMO

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m
  • Gender: Male
Posted

well, you're right mate! I just did the maths and got the following results:

Surface area in square inches for each exhaust size:

Twin 2.25 = 10.5

Single 3" = 7.1

Single 3.5" = 15.7

Single 4" = 24.6

Aside from getting higher quality mufflers, why would anyone upgrade to a 3" considering that the pipework itself is less restrictive in standard form? Note, I am only talking about the pipework, not mufflers.

Thanks,

Justin.

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

the pipe work is much of a muchness really, if it has press bends in it, then its crap, but if its mandrel bent then it is as free flowing as possible.

Good mufflers are essential - the standard mufflers actually reduce to around 1.75" inside, so they suck basically!

Welds are important, but they would have to be pretty sh*t to make a difference.

What power are you aiming for? That is the question you need to answer before you start modding

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Yep, naturally mandrel is the way to go!

Power goal isn't really known, I'd just like to go up in stages as I'm on a budget, and see what feels good!

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

well, I would follow the standard system power limits, 280 would be the maximum efficient level, after that you are gonna need to upgrade

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m
  • Gender: Male
Posted

No worries, thanks! The enquiry was actually for another car, which is why I was more interested in the power limits of a 3"

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

if you can specify what engine/turbo combo it is, I can give you a bit more info, it is very dependant on the application.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m
  • Gender: Male
Posted

No worries and thanks for the advice so far!

It's an AU Falcon engine with a Snort stage 3 turbo kit on it. Currently running 210rwkw on 7psi and an overly rich tune. This is through a factory press bent exhaust, and as I want to do an exhaust next, I was just curious where a 3" will become a limitation.

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

what turbo is it running?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...