How Do You Wash Your Car?

XRSCAR

• Into the laaaake
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

My car gets washed with a hose/bucket of soapy water in my driveway.

Ive got 12 seperate chamois's that I wash both my cars with. 1 for body wash, 1 for body dry, 1 for wheel wash, 1 for wheel dry, 1 for engine bay wash, 1 for engine bay dry, times that by 2 for the XR and the Mini.

And I sometimes leave the hose running while im washing.........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 8m 13d

Considering the filth and crap that gets washed up off the road, stones and crap from passing cars and trucks, car park dings and general scratches from miscellaneous places I just use the car wash gun and brush then once a month or so it gets a good polish.....

There aint no point in gettin too anal about it unless you never drive it and keep it tucked up under a car cover in a fortified humidity controlled bunker...

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 27d

I go to the local wash bay place. Once the attendant leaves, who's there to stop you from using a bucket and sponge? NO ONE! They usually leave at 6pm so I'm there on the dot some times. There's a car wash bay place on Canterbury Road in Heathmont opposite the post office that NEVER has an attendant on duty. I go there on my days off during the week and wash it there.

I use 2 sponges, one for the duco, and one for the wheels and exhaust tip. That way, you don't use a carbon and brake dust ridden sponge on your duco.

I just use the pressure thing without the pressure to fill the bucket, put some Meguiars wash in the bucket, and spray the soapy water on the car, then wash it then then chamois dry and I put tyre shine on when I get home. If you put tyre shine on wet tyres while you're at the carwash, it just sprays off into the side of the car when you do your nice big sideways patch out of the carwash lol :tonguepoke:

• Member For: 16y 9m

just use the hose :P and if anyone askes say its out of the tank out the back.. what I do.. but I have a tank :P

water wont run out.. whats to worry about.

• Member For: 19y 6m 25d

In geelong also with stage 4 restrictions. Use car wash out of hours (no attendant), their water/ my sponge and Morning Fresh detergent. That's right detergent! Excellent local detailer recommended this as a very gentle and effective cleaner (he uses this in his business). My car has had the paint protection and the look and feel of the paint work after this type of wash is unbeatable. I have seen people use the $@%* brush on brand new cars and I almost cry. The crap that people wash with those brushes is unforgiveable (trucks/ boats/ dirt bikes/ trailers etc)!

• CNUTOX
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 21d

I purchase a book of 10 vouchers for MAGICHANDS car wash, I get the receipt and claim it back from Mr taxman.

You pay for 8 but get 10 vouchers. 14.90 a wash rrp and this gets a dried exterior, glass cleaned exterior.Tyre dressed.

The carwash near my place gives you 9 dollars worth of time if u put 6 in before time runs out. Then I have to find a carpark to

the exterior etc much easier this way.

• Yaris member
  • Member For: 18y 1m 6d

I used to just give it a spray once a week to keep it clean & then once every month or so I'd go at night, so no lines would build up behind me & people complaining, with a bucket & sponge & spend about $10 washing it.

Try filling a bucket with one of those things! it takes forever & you end up getting soaked!

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 27d
with a bucket & sponge & spend about $10 washing it.

Try filling a bucket with one of those things! it takes forever & you end up getting soaked!

If you're at one of those ones that doesn't let you pull the trigger (goes full pelt as soon as you press the button) just put it on 'spot free rinse' (distilled water) and it should take about 1 minute to 1:20 to fill the bucket.

I get away with $2 to fill bucket and rinse car, then I wash the duco, then $1 rinse off soap, then wash rims and exhaust tip, then another $1, maybe $2 to rinse. If you practise, it's a $4 wash with bucket and sponge! Beats the sh*te outta paying $15 to $20 to get some other dude to do it!

P.S. Don't use dishwashing products! Dish washing detergent is made to take fats and grease off glass and ceramic things, not cars! If you wax your car, this gets eaten away by Morning Fresh etc.

Car washing detergent is made to go easy on wax, paint and paint protection as it's made with specific pH levels etc.

Edited by R-SPEC