Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 25d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Just checked out that newgel site, not a bad price on the fg xr8 bonnets (primed) and they're local too. Although not sure about fibreglass, don't like the idea of it splintering all through the engine in an accident. Is it just me though or is it is it not sitting that flush?? http://www.newgel.com.au/products/ford/falcon/fg.html

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 14d
Posted

I'd rather this any day

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-FG-XR8-Turbo-Bonnet-Hood-with-Hump-CHANGEOVER-we-keep-your-bonnet-/260985211597?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3ee4acd&_uhb=1

Only $240 for it in steel changeover with your bonnet. Would cost $500 give or take to pain and blend in. Or just buy it outright for $350 from them, keep your bonnet, $150 to vinyl wrap it instead. xr8 bonnet for $500!

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 3m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

^^ I 2nd this. Not keen on fibre glassing. I'll be looking into an XR8 bonnet right after I pay for my defects and get them fixed -.-

  • Boost Addict
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Belcompton
Posted

MCINNES - what were your defects? TOO LOW and.......

Does your car now need to be inspected at Dickson?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 3m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Too low and my front left tyre worn on the inside.

Nah can go to anywhere luckily :) but still gunna cost monies :/

I put a rant in the things that Piss you off thread detailing it all :)

  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 8m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Dont go fibreglass guys.... ive seen where the bonnet props screw into the bonnet tear away from their mounts, and turn it into a dogs breakfast. then the owner has to pay for another bonnet to get painted.

In a previous life, I used to work for a dealership on Josephson st, and Newgel used to supply the bodykits for the new cars..... and lets just say.... fitment obviously wasnt high on their priority list. Making money was however....

Might cost more to go steel initially, but cheaper in the long run.

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 14d
Posted

^^ agreed. Seen a BA ute that had fibreglass front end and xr 8 bonnet. Then one day at the panel beater getting something done and it comes in on the back of the tow truck from a front end smash what a mess! shards of fibreglass went everywhere through the motor, cut lines and made a mess. Plus because it shattered at the hinges it went up and smashed the windscreen. Panel beater said if there was about twice the cost in repairs than would have been had everything been plastic and metal

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 25d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Yeah just more evidence to stay away from fibreglass, knew it was sh*t.

I'd rather this any day

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-FG-XR8-Turbo-Bonnet-Hood-with-Hump-CHANGEOVER-we-keep-your-bonnet-/260985211597?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3ee4acd&_uhb=1

Only $240 for it in steel changeover with your bonnet. Would cost $500 give or take to pain and blend in. Or just buy it outright for $350 from them, keep your bonnet, $150 to vinyl wrap it instead. xr8 bonnet for $500!

I do like that! Very much like the idea of cost recovery by swapping the original, what am I going to use it for anyway! Too bad there isn't aluminium fg bonnets, maybe in a few years time if the next falcon retains the same bonnet shape and they do aluminium (since the vf does), would love to save some weight.

Anyway I think this will be on for sure once I've bought a house and money settles down a bit, oh and wheels and tyres have to be done first ~cuz will be time for new tyres....

The $150 vinyl wrapped would just be for the wrap yeah? Be way more to have it done? My worry would be if it would protect the metal enough from rust? Particularly getting stone chips (which I get a lot of on the highway) exposing the primer and rusting. Plus how it ages over time, also I'd have no idea what colour or style wrap to go without looking sh*t, painted nitro blue would probably be better for me.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 14d
Posted

Yea light weight would be good but only for race car drivers like you that go to wakefield is that necessary haha

New wheels hey? Want to buy mine? I'm looking at getting a new set lol

Yea about $150 for just the wrap but can be done with the help of a mate or your mrs. I wouldn't be too worried about rust, because vinyl has stretch to it, stones shouldn't pierce the vinyl and remove the primer. Plus If I did vinyl wrap it would only be a temporary thing until I was ready/could afford to paint. Yea choice of colour would be harder. Good old carbon fibre grey always goes alright.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...