Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 15/03/08 11:31 PM Posted 15/03/08 11:31 PM had the car on track yesterday...33 degrees. after 5-6 minutes temp would come up to 2/3 or so on the gauge, at that point I would pit it and wait for temp to come down again. I am hoping that the thermostat + playing with the fan timing and maybe look at some shrouding will do the trick. dont really want to have to spend 1k on a good rad at the moment. Hopefully a well designed tube and fin intercooler will allow the same if not more air to the rad than the stock phoon IC I have on at the moment.
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/08 12:13 AM Posted 16/03/08 12:13 AM With my big engined car I've stayed with the tube and fin IC design in the latest upgrade, and have a larger aftermarket radiator.On hot days such as yesterday, and in the absence of a larger radiator, and on a tight circuit like Wakefield I would not expect your car to last too long.It's when you really punish your car the setup and design of components really come to the fore.Brian
rhysy_boi Member 83 Member For: 20y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 16/03/08 01:59 AM Posted 16/03/08 01:59 AM I've only got a PWR replacement cooler and stock radiator with cooler thermostat (whatever simon at XFT put in) and on the street it never goes past about 1 needle over 1/4. he set the thermo's up to come on quite eary too so it stays there. that's my experience, I'm sure when track comes into the decision a better designed radiator is essential, especially with a BIG cooler.Rhys
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/08 03:29 AM Posted 16/03/08 03:29 AM (edited) With my big engined car I've stayed with the tube and fin IC design in the latest upgrade, and have a larger aftermarket radiator.On hot days such as yesterday, and in the absence of a larger radiator, and on a tight circuit like Wakefield I would not expect your car to last too long.It's when you really punish your car the setup and design of components really come to the fore.BrianYep, agree with this....part of the issue also is the high ambient temp too. I found that it was pretty quick to come back down to normal temp. ie one slow lap, and also running heater pulls temp out of the water and that helped too. I am realistic about what I can expect from it too, I only want a solid 280rwkw (300 tops) and provided I can run it for 8-10 mins top in sub 30 degree temps I will be happy. Another point raised by Plazmaman is spot on - it makes a huge difference if you are not getting clean air - ie. you are following cars closely. Yesterday I was all over the back of Evo 8/9s and Lotus Elises so didnt get a lot of clean air.I think the formula might be a good tube & fin IC, Surge tank & Pump, Alloy Rad, engine and diff oil coolers. Edited 16/03/08 03:41 AM by Rob E
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 19d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 16/03/08 04:20 AM Posted 16/03/08 04:20 AM My needle sits just under half all day ( 11 o'clock ) , gets to half when im up it though . Will put one of our new thicker alloy radiators in it soon for piece of mind . Where does the needle sit on your cars ?exactly the same as yours.its done that even from day dot with all factory gear, so the cooler didnt change a thing.
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/08 05:11 AM Posted 16/03/08 05:11 AM Yesterday I was all over the back of Evo 8/9s and Lotus Elises so didnt get a lot of clean air.I think the formula might be a good tube & fin IC, Surge tank & Pump, Alloy Rad, engine and diff oil coolers.Really; what times were you running?Brian
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 16/03/08 05:26 AM Posted 16/03/08 05:26 AM Yeah great work if your holding Evo's and a Lotus... most of the Evo's Ive run with are too quick through the back for me.Your susp' must be well set up now... I wish mine was lol
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/08 05:48 AM Posted 16/03/08 05:48 AM (edited) Really; what times were you running?BrianNot very quick, only flat 1.16s. However this is on street tyres (crappy dunlop SP3000s). The EVOs and Elises were on street tyres too, and drivers at a similar level to me (not the best!). I could only do 4 sessions - was getting a bit too hot after lunch and bonnet release failed(ie. unable to open) so called it a day. We had quite a bit of traffic and had a lot of wood flour after a Nissan laid trail from the kink to the fish hook. The EVO 9 had 195kw at the wheels and we were pretty much even on the straights....he had me at the turn on to the straight and the fishhook, and I would pull him back in from turn two back to the fish hook. He kept driving in the afternoon and did a 1.13. I would like to think that I should have done a 1.14 with a few more sessions. This was the same with the Elises....I could reel them in up and over the top of the hill (love the top of the hill!) however the two really tight corners I was getting too much understeer. I will be reducing size of the front sway bar and also fiddling with tyres, brakes and power as the next stage. Actually, the pads were a drawback too.....I reckon there is a second or two in the brakes alone.I will get this car to 1.10 or under....mark my words! its good fun being the only Aussie car out there. Edited 16/03/08 05:52 AM by RACEFPV
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 16/03/08 05:53 AM Posted 16/03/08 05:53 AM Yeah great work if your holding Evo's and a Lotus... most of the Evo's Ive run with are too quick through the back for me.Your susp' must be well set up now... I wish mine was lolSuspension is not quite finished yet Chris, but will be soon. I'd be happy to show you and pick your brains on the power side of things.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 16/03/08 06:14 AM Posted 16/03/08 06:14 AM Ah those pesky AWD cars pulling in tight on the last corner! They get me everytime lol1;16s are still good... I can remember doing 120s 8 years ago and thinking it was fast.If you get it into the 1:10s it'll be a dam fast car and an awesome achievment.Hmm, Ive got a GTR style tube & fin IC sitting on the self here... might carve up the front bar and fit it, be great for the track as its only 300 high
Recommended Posts