ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m Posted 27/12/07 01:53 AM Posted 27/12/07 01:53 AM (edited) Started the car and went change the air vent direction via the pushbuttons and nothing happened. Never had this problem happen before. So the vents are all at face level and will not change to any other position.Visited the local dealer and I was told it could be looked at next week, and there's a shaft that breaks, common problem. So book it in next week to have it fixed. As I was leaving the service guy came out and told me their other workshop it not as busy and they might be able to look at it earlier.So I rang the other workshop and recieved the same story, there is a shaft which is plastic and it would have broken and it now gets replaced with a steel version on all later models. And that its a all day job as a fair amount of the dash has to be removed to replace it.I have since booked it into the closest dealer to get it looked at next week. Given that Ford know this is a common problem then I guess they will do all the work for free. HA HA HA.This will be the first test for the extended warranty I bought with the car, as it's now nearly 4 years old. Edited 27/12/07 01:54 AM by ColinT
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 18d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 27/12/07 01:57 AM Posted 27/12/07 01:57 AM I'd be making sure it is going to be done under warranty first....or you could be in for a shocking surprise...
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 24d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 27/12/07 02:02 AM Posted 27/12/07 02:02 AM an all day job is alot in labour, so as dags said, check to make sure its all covered by warranty, I'm sure it will be though...
ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m Posted 28/12/07 11:59 AM Author Posted 28/12/07 11:59 AM Checked with the Ford extended warranty people today, and yes the fault is covered.BUT, I started the car to go for a drive and heard all the damper controls take up new positions. All fixed by itself. So much for the broken shaft idea.I put the dampers through every cycle and tested them heaps in all combinations. I could not fault the system.Advised the dealer that all apeared to be fixed and cancelled the booking. They did however offer to hold the booking open and investigate the now non existant problem. I though perhaps pulling the dash apart for a look might not be the best thing so I declined the offer.
ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m Posted 11/02/08 10:29 PM Author Posted 11/02/08 10:29 PM (edited) It all failed again.I know I said it fixed itself on the 28th Dec, but today nothing works. just a whirr in the dash and nothing changes.Booked it in for next Tuesday. They tell me it's a 6 hour job out comes the dash. Edited 11/02/08 10:30 PM by ColinT
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 1m 26d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 12/02/08 04:04 AM Posted 12/02/08 04:04 AM Had the same problem with my BA. It requires most of the dash being removed to replace the shaft as what has been said previously. The only problem is alot of people that've had this repair done say the dash squeaks like a b*tch afterwards.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 24d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 12/02/08 04:16 AM Posted 12/02/08 04:16 AM mate I know from experience it doesn't take 6 hours to pull a dash out - a competent qualified ford mechanic (yes there are some) can get it out in under 1 hour - hopefully they are under promising and over delivering!
ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m Posted 12/02/08 11:31 AM Author Posted 12/02/08 11:31 AM OK it's happened again.Just went to pick up my son and all the dampers changed position when I started the engine.I changed through every possible combination and everything is working perfectly again.Can anyone offer an explanation?????????????I will be cancelling the rip the dash out unless I can get a good explanation from the dealer as to what is happening.To those people who have had the ICC out and changed the shafts please feel free to help.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 18d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 12/02/08 12:16 PM Posted 12/02/08 12:16 PM Your gunna be running round in circles unless you get it fixed here and now.....Sounds like somethings stripped and catching every now and then.
ColinT Legacy Donating Member 372 Member For: 21y 8m Posted 12/02/08 10:53 PM Author Posted 12/02/08 10:53 PM I put the system through its cycles today. Everything still working.Actually got past the front desk and was able to talk to the mechanic who done this dash work before. He believes its not the shaft but an electronics problem. And that it would be pointless brining it in when everything is working properly. I have thought about the shaft might be catching now and then and therefore working but when it works its perfect.So the suggestion is next time it does it to bring it in while it has failed. I was there yesterday but couldn't get past the front desk.Wait and see I guess.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now