Courtney Goes Dancing!

Barry Blue

• Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member For: 19y 5m 27d

Stone Brothers Racing driver James Courtney has swapped his race boots for dancing shoes as he prepares to compete with nine other celebrities and sports stars on Channel Seven’s Dancing with the Stars.

Courtney, who drives the JELD-WEN Motorsport Falcon in the V8 Supercar Championship Series, has been in intensive training for the past week with his dance partner Olya Bourtasova.

The JELD-WEN driver has only a short time to polish up his moves before his first performance on the top rating show, fitting his dance training around his racing commitments with the next V8 Supercar round, the Sandown 500, on 14-16 September.

Courtney’s crew say that he is one of the more relaxed drivers around pit lane, likely to be joking around only seconds before stepping into his race car. But the 27-year old admits that there were plenty of nerves on his first day of dance training.

“Normally I’m not nervous at all before a race or in front of cameras because it’s what I do,” says the Gold-Coast based Courtney.

“But my first day of training I was a fish out of water. This is totally different for me and the thought of dancing in front of even a couple of people was terrifying.

“Slowly I am relaxing into it and gaining confidence. The Cha Cha is a fun dance and kind of suits my personality. I’m having a bit of trouble with the Tango though; it’s all very serious and I feel so uncoordinated. Trying to put on a serious face when I look that silly is pretty hard.”

V8 Supercar drivers work hard on their fitness and Courtney is no exception. The JELD-WEN Motorsport driver runs and rides many kilometers each week to maintain the stamina needed to handle a 1350kg car at speeds of up to 300km/h with cabin temperatures often reaching up to 60 degrees celcius. He says the fitness required for ballroom dancing is completely different from his usual regime.

“I have pains in muscles that I didn’t realize I had. For once in my life I am getting a calf muscle which I think is fantastic. I get teased about my skinny legs so anything that gives me some shape I’m up for!

Typical of Courtney’s perfectionist attitude, he has been pushing himself and his dance partner to the limit.

“Olya asked to stop training yesterday because she was too tired so it does show how fit V8 Supercar drivers are. She says that it is frustrating dancing with me because I want everything perfect and I will work at it and at it until its right.”

While there are plenty of high profile contestants involved in the seventh series of Dancing with the Stars, Courtney is hoping that V8 fans will get behind him.

“I’m really hoping that not only Ford fans but all V8 Supercar and motor sport fans in general will get behind me. My worst nightmare is being the first person to leave the show so please, get behind me and vote!”