tumbleweed Member 15 Member For: 19y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 26/08/07 11:37 AM Posted 26/08/07 11:37 AM hey guys, just spent the weekend inserting these LED's into the underside of the hard tonneau. I got sick of not seeing s?#t in the night trying to get stuff out.... so I pimped it. F.Y.I: The earth runs through a switch (located on the alum bracket that locks the cover down) so when the cover is down the circuit is broken (no lights on). Have also located another switch in the cab under the fog light switch (as there is no traction control) I've done this so when I remove the cover I can turn off the constant power & no smart fu#$?r can short out the plug located in the ute which the LED's plug into. just though I would post and see what you all think. I'm stoaked with it. cost me about $140.00 for the [2x] Hella LED (slim line-flush mount) strips (my brother got em at cost) and about a day to install....running wires is darn time cosuming.PS no need to comment on the dint in tail gate....my dad forgot how to properly hook up the bike trailer....DOH! off to the panel beatersCheers
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 26/08/07 11:39 AM Posted 26/08/07 11:39 AM Nice, looks great
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 26/08/07 11:53 AM Posted 26/08/07 11:53 AM Nice!How sh*thouse are the BF hardcovers! Big bulky things that don't fit properly. Not even nicely carpeted underneath like the BA version.Looks like you need a reversing camera aswell
tumbleweed Member 15 Member For: 19y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 26/08/07 11:55 AM Author Posted 26/08/07 11:55 AM Yer not impressed really, but it came with the ute so....me no complain.
SCRIBR Yaris member Member 4,486 Member For: 20y 3m 13d Gender: Male Posted 26/08/07 12:06 PM Posted 26/08/07 12:06 PM nice job mate.. wish I had the time and effort to do something like that!its very annoying getting the shopping out at night
aussieturtle Member 39 Member For: 19y 2m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Area Posted 29/08/07 07:20 AM Posted 29/08/07 07:20 AM Hi Tumbleweed,Did it reduce the rigidity of the lid when you routed out the holes for LED strips? Also, with the holes cut was it easy to feed the wires though the lid inner or was it foam filled. I will do this if it is straight forward as it looks like a winner!CheersTom
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 27d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 29/08/07 07:47 AM Posted 29/08/07 07:47 AM Must be a ute thing, every second ute I see has a dented tail gate.
rhysy_boi Member 83 Member For: 20y 2m 19d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 29/08/07 09:11 AM Posted 29/08/07 09:11 AM agreed, I figured it was alot of tradies just happen to hit their trailers, also it's hard to see if your reversing towards a pole since the tray is at shoulder height. strip looks nice mate, very practical.Rhys
tumbleweed Member 15 Member For: 19y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 29/08/07 01:56 PM Author Posted 29/08/07 01:56 PM Na, I was heading to a race at eastern creek and my dad didnt hook the trailer up properly and when I started pushin the bike on.....bang!Tom, no it had no affect on the rigidity on the cover. the LED's were only about 25mm wide and 180mm long. there was no foam running through it and all I did to feed the wires through was attach a washer to a piece of string and used a magnet to guide it through...piece of piss just need a little patience. got constant power from a distribution block I have in the cab (stereo stuff) and as I put an isolation switch on the dash it seemed the best place to run it from (rather than feed direct from bettery). Pulled the RHS rear wheel off and got an earth off the chassis as there is already a factory earth located there.
aussieturtle Member 39 Member For: 19y 2m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Area Posted 29/08/07 11:06 PM Posted 29/08/07 11:06 PM Na, I was heading to a race at eastern creek and my dad didnt hook the trailer up properly and when I started pushin the bike on.....bang!Tom, no it had no affect on the rigidity on the cover. the LED's were only about 25mm wide and 180mm long. there was no foam running through it and all I did to feed the wires through was attach a washer to a piece of string and used a magnet to guide it through...piece of piss just need a little patience. got constant power from a distribution block I have in the cab (stereo stuff) and as I put an isolation switch on the dash it seemed the best place to run it from (rather than feed direct from bettery). Pulled the RHS rear wheel off and got an earth off the chassis as there is already a factory earth located there.Excellent - thanks for that. It really is a nicely done practical mod.CheersTom
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now