Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 21d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 19/07/07 06:45 AM Posted 19/07/07 06:45 AM Intersting that one of the evaluators rated the T as the second best car on the day, though it was an unfair comparison between the VE's and Force 6 and 8.
YOB POM Member 140 Member For: 21y 4m 5d Gender: Male Location: Jimboomba Qld Posted 19/07/07 06:45 AM Posted 19/07/07 06:45 AM Probably after more advertising dollars from Holden
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 17d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 19/07/07 09:14 AM Posted 19/07/07 09:14 AM
Mitchtj Member 24 Member For: 19y 2m 21d Posted 19/07/07 10:00 AM Posted 19/07/07 10:00 AM (edited) I was a bit amazed by the XR6T's laptimes too, I have the feeling there may be a note in next months issue fixing that, it should not have been that much slower, as really, it is not that much outpowered, and motor didn't exactly praise the SS's breaks.And the opinions posted in this thread are pretty spot on, the VE is alot newer, but suprisingly the BF is still holding up well, especially considering its age and origins, it is very honorable that it is actually superior in some areas (gearbox and i6 engine), and the Non V SS interior reeks of cheapness, while the XR6T and Typhoons still feel upmarket and classy.While the Holden's may have a few safety and traction control features, the F6 Typhoon and XR6 Turbo are really still good buys, as acceleration and performance times show. With Fords generous discounting of late, and Holdens general arrogance with its 'superior' products, the performance end of Fords line up really has a strong case. Edited 19/07/07 10:02 AM by Mitchtj
Phoontastic Legacy Donating Member 262 Member For: 20y 8m 7d Gender: Male Location: Canberra Posted 19/07/07 12:13 PM Posted 19/07/07 12:13 PM Take each for a drive and let the seat of your pants be the judge. There are a few guys at work that have gone from the XR6T to the VE Calais 6L V8, and they reckon the T is a better drivers car. Lighter on its feet, better handling and heaps more real world performance. I've driven both and I know which I prefer; turbos blow, naturally aspirated sucks.....says it all really .
SHOWDOWN BACK SLOWER THEN EVER! Member 706 Member For: 19y 3m 7d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/07/07 12:52 PM Posted 19/07/07 12:52 PM (edited) Exactly...I'm so close to buying the XR6T, and to have something like this come up is not good. I could probably afford a stock standard VE SS ... or I go ahead and buy the XR6T with 18's, Luxury Unterior package incl Leather, sunroof, bluetooth handsfree kit...Hmmm....decisions decisions....it doesnt cost much to mod a T then you would eat all the HSVs in the road test.I with you TornadoJudd, Buy the xr6t spend $1500 CAI and Custom tune and you got around 250 at the wheels. The $76k GTS makes 245 at the wheels. need we say more...HSV is Edited 19/07/07 12:54 PM by mytxr6
GreenXR6T Legacy Donating Member 630 Member For: 21y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 19/07/07 01:18 PM Posted 19/07/07 01:18 PM I don't think there's anything to worry about.A good edit and you'd hose em all.
coach3062 Member 91 Member For: 20y 8m 4d Gender: Male Location: North west NSW Posted 19/07/07 11:54 PM Posted 19/07/07 11:54 PM It is a little suspicious the output of the SS, surely if your V8 put out 291kw you would use that in your marketing and not claim only 270kw? Maybe the GMH test vehicles were over-prepared?Take a stocker from the street and put it on the rollers.Check the LS1 forum and see what the owners of VE SS's claim they make on the dyno!They would be wrapt in 236.2rwkw's.As for the lap time- 10 seconds slower? Definitely an error.
Mitchtj Member 24 Member For: 19y 2m 21d Posted 20/07/07 01:29 AM Posted 20/07/07 01:29 AM I wouldn't put too much credibility into this test.Do you really beleive that all SSs are going to have 292kW super motors in them?Read the article again, check the figures, compare the text to the figures, and the figures between the different tests, they are inconsistant and contradictory.The only real test is for you to go look at the cars yourself.It is a little suspicious the output of the SS, surely if your V8 put out 291kw you would use that in your marketing and not claim only 270kw?Are you sure? What if people thought "why would I buy a 307kw HSV, when I can get a 290kw SS for 15k less?". Expensive Daewoo is just trying to protect its premium offerings.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 24y Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 20/07/07 02:59 AM Posted 20/07/07 02:59 AM Are you sure? What if people thought "why would I buy a 307kw HSV, when I can get a 290kw SS for 15k less?". Expensive Daewoo is just trying to protect its premium offerings.I think you are giving Expensive Daewoo buyers' too much credit - do any of them have the ability to "think" that far?The article is full of flaws. Most mag write-ups seem the same these days. They employ journalists who can't drive and drivers who can't write. I just don't buy motor mags any more for that reason.If anyone is in the market for any new car ... let your feet do the walkin' (dealer to dealer) and your bum do the talkin' (which one feels better to YOU?)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now