Steffche Member 51 Member For: 19y 3m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/07/07 02:37 AM Posted 19/07/07 02:37 AM Hi GUys,ANyone read the latest Motor magazine with the shootout between Ford and Holden? It has the XR6 T against the Force 6 and 8 against the HSV GTS, R8 and SS's....Interesting read...but at teh same time I was a little concerned to see the ordinary 1/4 mile times posted by the XR6T and the dynoed KW readings being so low on the XR6T.JUst wondering if anyone has any opinions on the article....coz to me it seems the VE SS in manual would be the way to go these days....And yes...if you're wondering....I STILL don't have my XR6t yet...still waiting on some paperwork to be finalized through the lease company.Any comments?
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/07/07 03:16 AM Posted 19/07/07 03:16 AM I had a quick look.The top cars were all VE's Interesting that the Force6 really didnt rate well.The Orion update cant come soon enough now.
tmac450 Member 1,650 Member For: 20y 26d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 19/07/07 03:25 AM Posted 19/07/07 03:25 AM Before I get flamed for being one eyed, I am just stating my observations of the article.The XR6 was praised in the article. But the figures didn't match the words. Same with the Force 6.The dyno results were stranger to sat the least. Firstly the T and Force 6 figures, don't match the majority of stock figures that are posted onm this site (but they are withing the range, just the lower end). We all know dynos vary, and so do power outputs from car to car, but their calculated flywheel figures are so inconsistent (manufactures supplying hot motors and such), they make a mockery of the whole test.How can the force 8 and 6 be withing .1 of a kW at the wheels, yet show a 7kW difference at the fly, using identical gearboxes and drivelines?How can the SS & Bogan special have a 4.2kW difference at the wheels, but only a 6.6 kW difference, and how is it the auto is calculated out with the same efficiency as the manual (same in the HSVs).We all know the VEs have it over the current Fords, so the outcome shouldn't be much of a surprise, but I just don't get the inacurate figures.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/07/07 03:28 AM Posted 19/07/07 03:28 AM yeah I read it and think that the main reasons the FPV's were rated badly is more to do with price than performance. Having a $10k hit over a F6 for the Force 6 did not seem to rate well with the judges.Also the dyno reading did not make any sence. It might have been the usual story with HSV giving them gun cars and FPV doing the opposite.
TornadoJudd Legacy Donating Member 818 Member For: 20y 7m 14d Posted 19/07/07 03:46 AM Posted 19/07/07 03:46 AM The Force 6 lap times were pretty good. Is the Force 6 heavier than the Typhoon? I would of liked to have seen the Typhoon with the R Spec suspension go against the HSVs.
dule Legacy Donating Member 1,180 Member For: 19y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/07/07 04:43 AM Posted 19/07/07 04:43 AM What about the XR6T Lap time? I can't remember what the exact time was but it was around 10 seconds behind everything else, even the force8. Does this seam right to you? I can't see the force8 being that much quicker around the track then the XR6T.
Steffche Member 51 Member For: 19y 3m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/07/07 05:22 AM Author Posted 19/07/07 05:22 AM Exactly...I'm so close to buying the XR6T, and to have something like this come up is not good. I could probably afford a stock standard VE SS ... or I go ahead and buy the XR6T with 18's, Luxury Unterior package incl Leather, sunroof, bluetooth handsfree kit...Hmmm....decisions decisions....
tmac450 Member 1,650 Member For: 20y 26d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 19/07/07 05:28 AM Posted 19/07/07 05:28 AM What about the XR6T Lap time? I can't remember what the exact time was but it was around 10 seconds behind everything else, even the force8. Does this seam right to you? I can't see the force8 being that much quicker around the track then the XR6T.As I said, the text doesn't match the figures. The 6T was quicker than the Force 8 in acceleration, and .2 of a sceond off the Bogan special times. The article said that the T brakes were OK, the balance was brilliant and the gearbox was a gem. The article also stated that the SS & Bogan special brakes struggled, the SSVs auto was hopeless on the track and both cars weren't as balanced as the T, yet the T was 9 seconds slower than the Force 8 on lap times, nearly 10 slower than the SS and 10 slower than the Bogan special . To further contradict the text, the SS, had more power on the dyno than the Bogan special , the SS out accelerated the Bogan special (a manual, with more power, a little less weight and all else the same, should be quicker). Yet the auto Bogan special , which was criticised for being heavier on the brakes than the manual SS, pulled a quicker lap time????
TornadoJudd Legacy Donating Member 818 Member For: 20y 7m 14d Posted 19/07/07 05:29 AM Posted 19/07/07 05:29 AM Exactly...I'm so close to buying the XR6T, and to have something like this come up is not good. I could probably afford a stock standard VE SS ... or I go ahead and buy the XR6T with 18's, Luxury Unterior package incl Leather, sunroof, bluetooth handsfree kit...Hmmm....decisions decisions....it doesnt cost much to mod a T then you would eat all the HSVs in the road test.
tmac450 Member 1,650 Member For: 20y 26d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 19/07/07 05:33 AM Posted 19/07/07 05:33 AM Exactly...I'm so close to buying the XR6T, and to have something like this come up is not good. I could probably afford a stock standard VE SS ... or I go ahead and buy the XR6T with 18's, Luxury Unterior package incl Leather, sunroof, bluetooth handsfree kit...Hmmm....decisions decisions....I wouldn't put too much credibility into this test.Do you really beleive that all SSs are going to have 292kW super motors in them?Read the article again, check the figures, compare the text to the figures, and the figures between the different tests, they are inconsistant and contradictory.The only real test is for you to go look at the cars yourself.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now