bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 27d Location: Canberra Posted 16/05/07 06:59 AM Author Posted 16/05/07 06:59 AM I agree but its like anything, at age 18 you can buy any roadbike you want and ride it legally. New bikes today can run 9sec quarters dead stock and go well past 300kmph, tell me that's not more dangerous!At the end of the day you have to respect what you drivewhich doesnt come with age but training.Well, I don't think you can (not in certain states anyway). In the ACT (and NSW I believe) at least, you have to start off on a LAMS approved bike - these are approved based on a power to weight ratio and certainly aren't fast, although some ridiculous machines still slip through the net (very heavy and difficult to manage Harleys come to mind). And you need to stick to these for a certain time period, then pass quite a stingent test to be able to get your 'open' licence. The thinking is that you should have at least some experience before you step up to a more serious machine. But yes, you can then go out and quite legally ride a new ZX14, for example, which again is quite mad. But yes, I hear what you're saying.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 27d Location: Canberra Posted 16/05/07 07:02 AM Author Posted 16/05/07 07:02 AM Whats young ?? 18 to ????I'm not going to put any numbers to that. As always, there will be exceptions to the rule. There'll be very sensible and considerate 18 year olds and there'll be some very irresponsible and dangerous 40 year olds. But, if you're to go by what most insurance companies do, it would certainly appear that males in the 18-25 (or even 30?) category pose a greater risk than average.
youngy Member 293 Member For: 21y 26d Posted 16/05/07 07:02 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:02 AM Whats young ?? 18 to ????I don't know mate. I'm 24 and drive a 400+rwkw manual ute daily and ride a low 10sec 1000cc kawasaki zx10r.
xr6 typhoon Good for nothing member Legacy Donating Member 619 Member For: 22y 3m 5d Location: Sydney Posted 16/05/07 07:04 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:04 AM It doesn't just take 300rwkw to get yaself in trouble
youngy Member 293 Member For: 21y 26d Posted 16/05/07 07:05 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:05 AM Well, I don't think you can (not in certain states anyway). In the ACT (and NSW I believe) at least, you have to start off on a LAMS approved bike - these are approved based on a power to weight ratio and certainly aren't fast, although some ridiculous machines still slip through the net (very heavy and difficult to manage Harleys come to mind). And you need to stick to these for a certain time period, then pass quite a stingent test to be able to get your 'open' licence. The thinking is that you should have at least some experience before you step up to a more serious machine. But yes, you can then go out and quite legally ride a new ZX14, for example, which again is quite mad. But yes, I hear what you're saying. In the west you can get your 250 license when you're 17 then apply for your open at 18. Not sure bout other states, thought they were the same.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 9d Posted 16/05/07 07:08 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:08 AM Young or immature? Perhaps you might want to rephrase Bugster, not all young drivers are idiots. I know its rare but some do have a brain.
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 4m 26d Gender: Male Posted 16/05/07 07:10 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:10 AM (edited) I'm not going to put any numbers to that. As always, there will be exceptions to the rule. There'll be very sensible and considerate 18 year olds and there'll be some very irresponsible and dangerous 40 year olds. But, if you're to go by what most insurance companies do, it would certainly appear that males in the 18-25 (or even 30?) category pose a greater risk than average. Yeah fair call, all I know is when I picked my T up standed it was freaken fast then I got used to that, then I got the exed and that, with 230 or so, that was very fast,then last week when I drove my car with my new mods 265 (on a half tune) it was freaken scary, so I guess you could say I slowly progressed up but man even at that power it gave me a shock.But also in saying that the hype died down real quick and it feels normal again, so now im waiting on my final tune and im sure that will freak me out again.But for people jumping from stock to 300+ that is just crazy.Edit: oh yeah im 23, had the car since I was 21 Edited 16/05/07 07:12 AM by YPURV4
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 16/05/07 07:11 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:11 AM I can see where you are coming from 100%, and I would urge anyone and everyone to head to the track with their cars and see what they are capable of.I am only 23, and I have matured alot since I was 18. I can see I would have been in a world of hurt with even a standard t at that age. Silohutte6t on the other hand has a t and is 18 odd and is alot more mature than I was at that age! it is hard to put a blanket on young ppl like that, but I do agree with you!driver training is the key to becoming a better driver younger, so head to the track ppl!
Adrian6T T.P.I.S. Legacy Donating Member 2,578 Member For: 21y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: SoR, WA Posted 16/05/07 07:12 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:12 AM Come on guys you dont need to know anything about a car to drive one.Just look at Cole Trickle from "Days of Thunder", he knows jack shti about a car. he said so himself.
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 16/05/07 07:25 AM Posted 16/05/07 07:25 AM Already well on the way the XR6 Turbo will become the new VL commodore, second hand they can be bought cheap and made to go very fast with not a lot more cash.With this comes younger and relatively inexperienced drivers and throw in a few of your general hoon variety and there are unfortunately going to be accidents There are a number of members on here who are not exactly young hoons who have in varying situations been caught out by these high powered cars. Myself included.All you can ask is that people respect that these things are lethal in the wrong hands and that additional power should be supplemented with additional stopping, steering and handling, throw in a nice dose of respect and driver training for good measure Picking up 100 rwkw on top of something that is already reasonably quick is not something you just jump into and go sicI just hope that some sanity and sensibilities prevail and that we are never reading about a fatal involving one of our members.This is not a rant at the young guys but just some encouragement to just think about what you are doing and to be farking careful in the wet, particularly in Auto's
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now