adzza17 Member 103 Member For: 19y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 25/03/07 10:59 AM Posted 25/03/07 10:59 AM Hi guys,I took the dust covers from behind the wheels last week and noticed the hubs are all rusty and look house.I'm going to repaint the hubs and calipers, but I want to do them all at the same time, as I don't have a hoist I want to use the forklift at work to jack the whole car up.I just want to know if it is ok to jack it up using blocks on the chassis rails, behind the front and infront of the rear wheels???It will be jacked up on 4 points, do you think this will be strong enough, and will hold the weight of the car?????ThanxAdzza
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 25/03/07 11:50 AM Posted 25/03/07 11:50 AM Firstly make sure the forklift is capable of lifting the weight on the forkbars. If it is then I would try to find some rubber blocks or wood to support the car. Using the fork will be similar to a hoist, so you need to make sure you have the forks spreak enough to reach the jacking points.I personally would use jackstands and a trolly jack, but a Forklift will work if done properly, you should also think about using jackstands with the forklift.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 25/03/07 09:40 PM Posted 25/03/07 09:40 PM ....and pray it doesn't slide off like that case with the construction site in Sydney a while back
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 7d Posted 26/03/07 12:23 AM Posted 26/03/07 12:23 AM (edited) Being a part business operator and having a OHS cert to operate a forklift, seriously mate you better pray that OHS don't catch you lifting your car with a forklift and working under it, or god forbid even worse that the car dont slip of the truck whilst your working under it. Also consider how many cars that are damaged at auctions underneath because they are picked up with a forklift Edited 26/03/07 12:25 AM by Fat-Tony
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 14d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 26/03/07 01:28 AM Posted 26/03/07 01:28 AM Three ways of saying.Dont Do It.If you do make sure you post the video!!
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 7d Posted 26/03/07 03:39 AM Posted 26/03/07 03:39 AM Or atleast a pic
adzza17 Member 103 Member For: 19y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 26/03/07 08:55 AM Author Posted 26/03/07 08:55 AM Thanks for all your input guysI will give it a go, I only need to lift it up enough to get the wheels off, I won't be working under the car at all.The forklift is rated a 6 tonnes, so that's plenty.I will be doing it indoors with all the doors closed so nobody will see me.I'm going to use blocks on the blades of the forklift so nothing will get damaged under the car.I will take pics of my progress on the day and post them for you all to seeThanks againAdzza
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 20d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 26/03/07 01:00 PM Posted 26/03/07 01:00 PM id get a couple of cheps on the extension slippers ATLEAST....but then again id just use a jack and stands too!!
scott52 Member 188 Member For: 23y 9m 4d Gender: Male Location: Perth, W.A. Posted 27/03/07 05:12 AM Posted 27/03/07 05:12 AM After you get the rotors off use a bit of steel wool with a splash of RANEX on it to rub the rust off. It disolves the rust in seconds. Hose off, dry and paint with caliper & drum paint. Comes up a treat.Cheers,Scott
adzza17 Member 103 Member For: 19y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/04/07 09:31 AM Author Posted 24/04/07 09:31 AM Here are the pics for my T that was jacked up with a forklift and is sitting on extension slippers.Worked a treat to paint all the hubs at once
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now