Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 4d
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

3 Questions which I think will cause some debate...

1. What brand/type of oil should we use in this car?

2. Would changing the oil in the manual gearbox take away some of the issues that people have reported?

3. How often in a high performance turbo should you change the engine oil?

I am thinking to use Mobile1 which I used in my HSV that I had good success with, but am interested in your comments. I have also been told by DallasQLD that Syntrax (may have spelt it wrong) will potentially fix a number of issues with the gearbox as it's a racing synthetic oil designed for this type of situation.

I would believe that Ford will only have a very basic oil, one that fits to a standard rather than performance.

  • Brendan Dennis
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted

Guys,

When I purchased my AUII VCT I asked the question of Synthetic oil to a Tickford guy.

He said to leave normal oil in it until the first service (15,000km). Then change if I want to Fully Synthetic.

I have found that the Shell Heix is better than the Moble1 Fully Synthetic. The last service I went to another dealer and thye used Mobile rather than Shell and now that it has done 10,000km (in about 2 months) that the engine is a bitt rattley and I will be asking for the Shell again as it did not do this in the past.

I do note that it was hard to get the correct viscosity Synthetic oil (as per the FORD spec) from AutoBarn type places as the VCT needs a certain rating oil.

I am not sure for the Turbo BA but I will be asking similar questions when I get mine early next year. Considering the new BA motore has VCT I will be asking for Shell as the preference....

IMO...

  • SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Outer east - Melbourne
Posted
I would believe that Ford will only have a very basic oil, one that fits to a standard rather than performance.

The oil used in the turbo is not the same "vanilla flavour" used in the lower performance models. It is a heavier duty oil. There is a post in the forum somewhere. If I find it I'll add it in.

  • SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Outer east - Melbourne
Posted

Found it.

a quick yahoo serach found this article which does mention the heavier duty oil for the turbo.
The compression ratio is 8.7:1, down from the 9.7:1 of the standard in-line six, and a heavier duty lubricating oil is used in the engine.

http://www.ford.com.au/motorshow/sydney200...asp?release=xr6

the thread is titled "running in"

  • SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Outer east - Melbourne
Posted
Dave

Thanks for the link mate. I've got the waiting blues bad this evening after reading that.

Yeah know what you mean.....

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 27d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

What is the actual recommended viscosity of engine oil for the 6T?

5w40 rings a bell.

so would 5w50 (ie, Mobil1) be better for a turbo car, given that it will run at a higher temperature?

Anyone point me to a detailed explanation of what oil numbers represent, and what it means in a real-world scenario?

I mean, I know you can get 0w40, I know you can get 5w50, but which one should I use?

Not asking for a brand-war or actual oil recommendations in the post - but if you've got a favourite oil for this sort of application, what is it?

Cheerio

Guest XR_Strider_GuY
  • Guests
Posted

My opinion is don't use a thicker oil than what is necessary. So if the oil reccomends a W40 oil I wouldn't bother using a w50. Thicker oil only promotes extra heat and wear to the engine.

In this case the Shell Helix Ultra would be the go after your 15k service. But on the subject of putting synthetic whilst running it I would of have thought it doesn't matter don't HSV put Mobil 1 factory fill and if I'm not wrong the 5.6L Windsor used Mobil 1 factory fill.

You guys with XR6-T's are lucky as your rating is 5w-40 I have to buy Mobil 1 5w-30 and it's costing me $82.50 for 5ltrs, must say it's good oil and the engine is never clattery or ticky even in heat.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 1d
  • Location: Tasmania
Posted

Most Euros are now using full synthetic from new also. But they are recommending against the quick oil change claiming it takes longer to bed the rings with this oil :unsure:

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 21d
Posted

The grade that is recommended by ford is 15w - 40w look in your specs books ...Ford LPG oil is the go part no .RF1340 . I dropped my oil at 1500 as for some reason it was low. I replaced the filter aswell I shell helix ultra which was fully synthetic with a viscostiy rating 15w -50w believe it I did 500km in it and dropped it again. as I saw a dropp in performance.went to ford got the rf1340 and no worries back to normal again. Remember the turbo takes 7 litres of the stuff so only buy once and be careful

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...