JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 15d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 06:23 AM Author Posted 25/01/07 06:23 AM I have two different tuners tunes in mine, and both are less than 15psi, but one tune does make my motor a ticking time bomb, and the other tune dosnt.Tuners and not all the same and they all have different views, be it from experience with our cars or just general talk they hear about the cars... plenty of motors have broken on 15psi, and plenty have done lots of kays and still going strong←that's true mate, but motors have broken at anywhere between 5psi and 20psi. I'm pretty confident in my tuners ability to deliver a safe 15psi tune. if it does go bang... Simon watch out you counselled me on the phone, assured, assured again, and re-assured me it would be fine I think a lot of it depends on how you drive the car too, my WOT bursts are few and far between, especially if the missus is in the car.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 25/01/07 07:19 AM Posted 25/01/07 07:19 AM Cant ya get full boost on half throttle?
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 15d Location: Canberra Posted 25/01/07 07:44 AM Author Posted 25/01/07 07:44 AM Cant ya get full boost on half throttle?←not sure... never really tried. I know that I can get to 10psi on part throttle. I usually cruise around and might be lucky to use 5-10psi boost here or there at part throttle. I have noticed that during the summer the car sits more on 13psi in 3rd/4th where as winter it would always hit 15. But if I'm gonna use 15psi at part throttle, I'd rather just mash the pedal and go all out on it
C.S.I Member 651 Member For: 21y 9m 19d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 02/02/07 12:14 PM Posted 02/02/07 12:14 PM You better hope he knows what he's doing when he erases just the 1 slot, or you might kiss them all good-bye anyway Better make sure your old tuner still has your tunes on file , just in case.Don't be like me one day with the Wog, he gave me the wrong box after screwing around for a while.This one was clean, and wanted to upload my F-Slot to his clean box Pays to identify your Capa Unit BEFORE handing it over :-)
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 15d Location: Canberra Posted 02/02/07 12:19 PM Author Posted 02/02/07 12:19 PM I don't think I'll even bother with another tune anymore! my current tune is beast it was more so to get an idea on how another tune felt.. and if I ever needed a tuner down here, not so far away.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 4d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 02/02/07 12:30 PM Posted 02/02/07 12:30 PM jimy... I have had 3 different tunes in my box at the same time by diff tuners.... doesnt hurt to try someone else.... the tuner you currently use has a way with tuning and even if you get other tunes you will probably end up using the tune that you hacurrently have.. which is exactly what happened to me... but at least that way you can get a feeling of different methods that tuners use
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 15d Location: Canberra Posted 02/02/07 12:38 PM Author Posted 02/02/07 12:38 PM jimy... I have had 3 different tunes in my box at the same time by diff tuners.... doesnt hurt to try someone else.... the tuner you currently use has a way with tuning and even if you get other tunes you will probably end up using the tune that you hacurrently have.. which is exactly what happened to me... but at least that way you can get a feeling of different methods that tuners use ←yeah I know what you mean mate, which was why I wanted to give these local guys a go.. but after what I was told, it sorta makes me wanna steer clear I'll probably have a chat with them down the track and see how things pan out, it's always good to try out different things, and another type of tune can't hurt.. unless its dodgy
dingah2 Crusty aviator Member 846 Member For: 22y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: ACT Posted 12/02/07 07:58 PM Posted 12/02/07 07:58 PM (edited) Jimmy:Give him a go but his style of tuning is not Wog-like it's far smoother and he has always preferred to err on the lower side of boost...he cares, sometimes too much about the longevity of your motor and drive train. If he knows that you drive like a bloody idiot then he will feel more comfortable in tuning your car to suit. Glen will do it as you wish but will clearly state when it is against his way of tuning (Diablo WRX-aside!).Remember that years ago it was he that had mine producing 280RWKW with 10psi on a Unichip before you-know-who visited and made a real mess of several attempts to improve those numbers with flashing. If you haven't changed your valve springs, high boost numbers at high revs will also introduce a new feature for you too.It took Glen to successfully get to the bottom of the issue with mine and she has run smooth and hard as ever since. Some genius had incorrectly fitted the wrong submersible fuel line with the Walbro, together with the incorrect filter assembly together with resident contamination form some drillling of the filter basket. Pump, line and filters all removed and replaced with new items and she now runs smooth and hard as any around.Gudday Buggy nice to see you're still around too.Dingah Edited 12/02/07 07:59 PM by dingah2
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 12/02/07 10:14 PM Posted 12/02/07 10:14 PM The disappointing thing wasn't only that he gave me the incorrect info, even though at heart i knew it could be done, but he was also having a bit of a go at the way some other tuners tune cars.. He was especially adamant that the XR6T motor was a ticking time bomb with 15-16psi.. which, for my application, i don't think it is.. i rarely belt the car to start with. ←Jimmy i ran 20+psi in my car for quite a while with one of Simons tune. That was with a stock bottom end and i belted the car everyday. If the tune is safe you have nuthin to worry about(expect your gearbox... ) My car was making 20psi at around 3500 and i had no problems at all.....
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 15d Location: Canberra Posted 13/02/07 04:33 AM Author Posted 13/02/07 04:33 AM (edited) dingah,I got no doubts in Glens ability mate I'd like to try one of his tunes, the thing that threw me off was Daniels comments on only being able to do their tunes and needing to wipe my box clean I don't have valve springs done, and that's the main reason why Simon tuned my car the way he did, boost backs off pretty quickly in the higher rev range.hiddeous,cheers mate, always good to hear stuff like that Edited 13/02/07 04:34 AM by JimmyXR6T04
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now