gmax Member 44 Member For: 20y 10m 5d Gender: Male Location: sunshine coast Posted 15/02/07 12:01 PM Posted 15/02/07 12:01 PM kevin count me in on this... pm me with details or a contact number to get deposit sorted... thanks Gino
GreenXR6T Legacy Donating Member 630 Member For: 21y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 15/02/07 12:11 PM Posted 15/02/07 12:11 PM [quote]Now you need my soon to be released billet plenum...its going to be very nice....watch these forums. Kevin [right][snapback]496878[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I've been on the APS site a number of times over the last year or so waiting for info about their phase IV kit. I e-mailed them about it and they said they're not going to continue R&D on it and are concentrating on the Yankee market (twin turbo V8's). Anyway, if you look closely at the plenum in their pics, it has an extra set of injectors. I always thought that was a good idea. I offered to buy one, but they said they only made two of them and had no intentions of making any more. I don't know if an edit can run them, or if their excede piggy back unit was the only one good for it, but I'm sure you'd have a queue if you can produce a plenum like that, and get it to run properly. If you need a guinea pig, I could set aside some time and my car. Rob
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 15/02/07 01:35 PM Author Posted 15/02/07 01:35 PM Rob Ill look into the second row of injectors. But from what I see around here and talking to various tuners plenty of (smooth) power is available with 1 set of injectors. Thanyou for the offer to lend me the car. I already have a readily available test mule but will keep you in mind. Kevin
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 24d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 15/02/07 03:04 PM Posted 15/02/07 03:04 PM [quote name='Process West' date='Feb 13 2007, 09:47 PM'] I hate to give a time frame but I should have it ready in about 3-4 weeks. Its all prototyped up and we are writing the CNC program now. Ill will post some 3D CAD pics when we have that part done. Price wont be over the top Kevin [right][snapback]496895[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Bit lost here Kevin your writing the programme but you've got a 3D CAD drawing why not CADCAM it.... 5 seconds work.
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 15/02/07 06:08 PM Author Posted 15/02/07 06:08 PM [quote name='Dagabond' date='Feb 16 2007, 01:54 AM'][quote name='Process West' date='Feb 13 2007, 09:47 PM'] I hate to give a time frame but I should have it ready in about 3-4 weeks. Its all prototyped up and we are writing the CNC program now. Ill will post some 3D CAD pics when we have that part done. Price wont be over the top Kevin [right][snapback]496895[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Bit lost here Kevin your writing the programme but you've got a 3D CAD drawing why not CADCAM it.... 5 seconds work. [right][snapback]497595[/snapback][/right] [/quote] We are...its done on Mastercam...just trying to make it sould simple for the those that dont know what Im talking about. Kevin
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 15/02/07 09:16 PM Posted 15/02/07 09:16 PM [quote name='GreenXR6T' date='Feb 15 2007, 11:01 PM'] I've been on the APS site a number of times over the last year or so waiting for info about their phase IV kit. I e-mailed them about it and they said they're not going to continue R&D on it ... Anyway, if you look closely at the plenum in their pics, it has an extra set of injectors. I always thought that was a good idea. I offered to buy one, but they said they only made two of them and had no intentions of making any more. ... Rob [right][snapback]497557[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It’s a complex and outdated solution. Extra injectors as a solution go back at least 20 years, and date back to the time when you either didn’t have effective factory or aftermarket control of larger injectors, or to simply provide additional fueling capacity. APS developed that plenum well before the Edit was released, and it was convenient for them because the Unichip could drive the extra injectors. It had some merit at the time, as most of the time the extra injectors would not be working, so there would no change to drivability most of the time. Times change. Today the Edit can not only drive very large injectors, it can do so with very stable idle and drivability control, and a far more precise and easier tuning solution. There is no need to spray extra fuel into the plenum, and it adds added complexity that is not needed. Brian
FSIX Member 566 Member For: 20y 11m 13d Posted 15/02/07 10:15 PM Posted 15/02/07 10:15 PM [quote name='CSV_LS1' date='Feb 13 2007, 09:39 PM'] Now this will be interesting. How soon is soon? What price range are we looking at? [right][snapback]496892[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Raised those Lygon st bank fees I see...
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 15/02/07 11:27 PM Posted 15/02/07 11:27 PM The IC and pipework configuration looks very similar in size and layout to the APS intercooler, which has been very successful at delivering sustained performance in excess of 300 rwkw. Although slightly narrower, (420mm / 508 for aps) your IC has a big advantage over the APS unit, in that it does NOT obstruct access to the power steering reservoir. The APS unit, due to it's large volume, does have issues with overboosting if the turbo wastegate is not modified with a larger port and valve. It is a required modification that APS insists on with their IC. Is this an issue with your IC? tom
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 16/02/07 10:46 AM Author Posted 16/02/07 10:46 AM Testing (on 3 different cars) has shown no over boosting problems and I havent had any of the guys that have fitted one report any problems. Kevin
GreenXR6T Legacy Donating Member 630 Member For: 21y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 16/02/07 03:18 PM Posted 16/02/07 03:18 PM [quote name='bcl' date='Feb 16 2007, 07:06 AM'][quote name='GreenXR6T' date='Feb 15 2007, 11:01 PM'] I've been on the APS site a number of times over the last year or so waiting for info about their phase IV kit. I e-mailed them about it and they said they're not going to continue R&D on it ... Anyway, if you look closely at the plenum in their pics, it has an extra set of injectors. I always thought that was a good idea. I offered to buy one, but they said they only made two of them and had no intentions of making any more. ... Rob [right][snapback]497557[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It’s a complex and outdated solution. Extra injectors as a solution go back at least 20 years, and date back to the time when you either didn’t have effective factory or aftermarket control of larger injectors, or to simply provide additional fueling capacity. APS developed that plenum well before the Edit was released, and it was convenient for them because the Unichip could drive the extra injectors. It had some merit at the time, as most of the time the extra injectors would not be working, so there would no change to drivability most of the time. Times change. Today the Edit can not only drive very large injectors, it can do so with very stable idle and drivability control, and a far more precise and easier tuning solution. There is no need to spray extra fuel into the plenum, and it adds added complexity that is not needed. Brian [right][snapback]497610[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Brian, I knew there was a logical explanation as to why no-one else has produced one, just needed someone to tell us. You are a knowledgable man Brian and your input is valued. Thanks Rob
Recommended Posts