Screamer Pipe ?

YPURV4

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 4d

Best with external wastegate.

Because the wastegate gas doesn't join the main exhaust there is no restriction to the main exhaust flow. You dump the gas straight under the car.

Very loud if unmuffled. You could run a small cat in one.

Note the car will can pass standard drive by noise tests.

I've had one in my Sti for 6 years.

You certainly know it when the wategate opens.

Brian

• Next stage, to the Pub in 10 seconds
  • Member For: 19y 8m 15d

I only know of one T who has one fitted ... and fark ya know when he puts his foot down!

Rob...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 7d

WIPLSH tried one on his T and it lasted about a week. The noise was just ridiculous and a guaranteed way to have every one of the boys in blue in the suburb looking for you. I recommend this as a no go mod on a 'T'. :spoton:

Regards

M G

Edited by Master G

• Member For: 18y 4m 19d

it does not flutter.

the noise you are after is from not having a bov at all and running an airfilter straight off the turbo...

a screamer pipe does that.... it screams.

so when your gate opens it sounds like a cat getting stringed....

• Member For: 20y 8m 23d

I love the sound of a screamer pipe but your looking to get defected if you run one on the street. A mate of mine is running one on his Datsun temporarily and like I said it sounds great but I think the exhaust gases are swirling up into the windows making it a very smelly car to drive.

• ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member For: 20y 10m 17d

Here is a section of my reply to this question in the exhaust thread.

"Personally, I love the sound out of my car (the fact that its loud).....with a quad system (only 1 muffler), straight cut gears, blow off valve, noisy fuel pump etc, I think its in the top 10 of XR's in terms of noise LOL ... however, with this being said, the screamer was just wrong .... the sound that it made...... no words..... loud doesnt cover it .... nor does LOUD!!!!. This thing was deafining with a horrible note. It lasted a couple days on my car for testing then came off (my point here is that I like noisy cars, but not with the screamer)"

As Master G mentioned, good way to get defected, the noise is wrong.

From experience, trust me, you dont want this thing on your car.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 29d

Screamer pipes must be popular for the guys up in Sydney, hence the police knowing all about them.

There is only one car down here that I know of that runs one, and I strongly doubt the Feds would know what to look for or listen to. Or the roadside ACT vehicle inspectors for that matter.

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 4d

I got sick of the noise of the 4" exhaust on my STi, (quite a few guys here will remember how loud it was) as it was way over 90db (probably more like 100db BEFORE the screamer pipe opened up), this week changed it to 4" dump (retained), 5" metal cat & 3" exhaust with straight through muffler.

Car still feels very strong even with smaller exhaust, and it sounds like a stocker up to 4000 revs.

The point I want to make is that the higher the boost you are running the less you will activate the wastegate. With a max boost of 1.8bar the screamer only gets opened when the foot is buried to the floor. So an otherwise stock sounding exhaust will only sound very angry when it is driven in anger.

If I was running anything less than 1.3 bar boost I wouldn't even consider a screamer pipe. If you were running low max boost, say 10lb (.7 to .8 bar max boost) it would be unbearable, as the wastegate would be open and screamer pipe activated much of the time.

My T basically runs the same exhaust as my STi, the only real difference is that the external wastegate pipe runs back into the main 4" pipe, and running 1.6 to 1.8 bar boost. I'll have a look at it next week, to see how well the external pipe is integrated back into the main 4” exhaust. Maybe I’m getting old; definitely my hearing is going because of too many years of loud music and loud exhaust, so I’m now leaning towards quieter exhausts. However, the screamer pipe lets me know when I’ve hit max boost.

Brian

• KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE,
  • Member For: 17y 11m 25d

Thanks for all the replys by the sound of it the screamer pipe is not what im after I like that really loud flutter which I do have but that's because im running no bov.

I thought a screamer pipe was a bov that made that sound but really loud and long.Cheers guy's you never know if you dont ask.

Cheers Michael

• ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member For: 20y 10m 17d
Thanks for all the replys by the sound of it the screamer pipe is not what im after I like that really loud flutter which I do have but that's because im running no bov.

I thought a screamer pipe was a bov that made that sound but really loud and long.Cheers guy's you never know if you dont ask.

Cheers Michael

If your not doing so already, wack a pod filter on it and you should get better induction sound.