Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
Another way, which I'm thinking of going, is just use a PDA, like an X51V with monitor output plugged into a 7" screen, or factory ICC.

It will run the OBD software, and display everything remotly, aswell as have performance calculations ie 1/4 mile.  Maybe even a smartphone, like an Imate ?? Not sure if the OBD apps run on WM5 yet ( the X51V uses WM5??  it's only time if they don't..??

I use an Ipaq with Autoenginuity + GPS atmo, but it has no output for monitor..

Hardest part is getting an interface that will work with the broadest range of software. I'm locked to Autoenginuity with mine, which is a bit sucky..

More software coming out now, and most use the multiplex interface.

For a basic interpretation of data, viewed on ICC, a full carputer isn't necessary.. Autoenginuity do a Bluetooth OBDII interface, which is damn handy too..

Hey man, if you work this stuff out, please let me know. I've got an X51V (624mhz) that is absolutely awesome bar the fact that I got bored trying to find something for it to do.

Even got the VGA output cable for it as well.

Posted
From memory, that setup required a unichip (?) to provide the output.

you would wouldn't you?

it was EMS

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 5m 7d
Posted

Im working on this ATM. waiting on purchasing a CAN ODB2 kit. and interfacing that with my car computer. If anyone wants to hurry this delelopment they are welcome to buy another cheaper cable I found of ebay for me to do some testing with. This of course would be returned to you after testing has been done with all the info and developed program for your use

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 5m 7d
Posted

BTW my plan for this system is a self contained monitoring system similar to the lcd system found in the r34gtr I am planning on mounting a seperate lcd screen where the FPV boost guage would normally sit.

This would then connect to the cheapest mini ITX based computer system possable, running dos or a very small linux distro. Boot time would be in seconds. I will write a interface that displays infroamtion you want from the can interface. It all should work pritty well. The LCD screen will also be able to be used for tv or dvd if wanted.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gladstone, QLD
Posted
If anyone wants to hurry this delelopment they are welcome to buy another cheaper cable I found of ebay for me to do some testing with. This of course would be returned to you after testing has been done with all the info and developed program for your use
I'm interested in doing the OBD and have been doing heaps of research on it. Unfortunately this field is beyond me so I have to rely on others, so your proposal sounds great - what's the details?

Panda

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 5m 7d
Posted
If anyone wants to hurry this delelopment they are welcome to buy another cheaper cable I found of ebay for me to do some testing with. This of course would be returned to you after testing has been done with all the info and developed program for your use
I'm interested in doing the OBD and have been doing heaps of research on it. Unfortunately this field is beyond me so I have to rely on others, so your proposal sounds great - what's the details?

Panda

The trick is finding a cheap way to access the can bus. Found an adaptor on ebay for around $200 and another one locally for around $400.

Plan is to build a cheap low power mini-itx computer system that will connect to the can bus of the car and monitor what every the user wishes to.

Abit of fiber glass and a cheap ps1 screen and all done.

just need to get my hands on the cable to do the testing of the software. the in car computer is the easy part. will probably run a simple linux install or maybe even dos. will boot very fast.

Im a programmer so the interface shouldnt be too much of a problem at all.

in afew weeks im going to see a demo of the $400 can kit. but for people to want to use what im trying to create I need to keep costs down as much as possable.

BTW if this does work as I hope I wont be selling it. I will simply put every thing on a web site so every one can benifit. I might even organise some of the lcd mounts to be made up.

estimated cost so far.

ITX MB 185 - 235

power supply 120-160

ram aprox 50

interface cable 200 - 400

storage/hdd 80

screen hopefully around $100

then what ever it cost to mount it.

Software will be free

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 27d
  • Location: Sutherland Shire, Sydney
Posted

Sounds Interesting.

Be sure to keep us posted on pics and progress mate! :msm:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...