cqae Member 229 Member For: 22y 11m 2d Posted 27/07/06 07:01 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:01 AM I just wanted your opinions guys. I am an auto elec in the inner city area of melbourne. In the last few days I have had a few little run ins with fitting headlights to BAs. They have all been driver's side globes, knowing how annoying they are to change I have told my customer, it will be $20 for me to supply & fit a new globe while they wait. 3 times I have been told this is too expensive & they have driven off. I think this is fair & reasonable for a fully qualified auto elec to charge for this I am just wondering what you guys think? I am using good globes which I buy in bulk, not quite your exclusive premium type, but I do stock these & offer them at additional charge. Also I am not just talking XR6s one was the other was a stock falcon & one was a cab.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 14d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 27/07/06 07:06 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:06 AM Considering ford charged me $13 for a rhr tail/stop globe...(parts only not fitted) i dont think $20 is too extravagent. Whats the headlight bulb cost $10? you have to remove the battery to change it dont you?
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 16d Posted 27/07/06 07:10 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:10 AM seriously I dont blame you for charging 20 dollars, its your time and you have to get paid for it either way
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 27/07/06 07:22 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:22 AM $20 is bugger all really for someone's time. If they dont want to fork out for it then it's their loss and possibly their fine for a headlight out.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 14d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 27/07/06 07:25 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:25 AM Nothing 's me more as a trades person than having somebody who doesnt have the knowledge/skills to do a task try and beat you down on price....anybody here every tried to bargain the price or surgery down with there Doctor.... 1
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 27/07/06 07:27 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:27 AM No I wouldn't think $20 was too expensive for supply and fit.Nowadays the hourly labour rate for a workshop is at least $80 - I know when I was Service Manager in a large Ford dealership we charged a minimum of 15 mins labour for those kinds of "while-u -wait" jobs.If a guy whinges about $20 you don't want him as a customer anyway - he'll just keep coming back with "no-profit" items and whinge every time. When he wants something big done he'll probably go elsewhere.For $20 if he wants to skin his knuckles good luck to him I say.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 16d Posted 27/07/06 07:37 AM Posted 27/07/06 07:37 AM if they dont like the price do it them f*cking selves I say
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 27/07/06 09:03 AM Posted 27/07/06 09:03 AM 's
cqae Member 229 Member For: 22y 11m 2d Posted 27/07/06 11:45 AM Author Posted 27/07/06 11:45 AM guys, I serioulsy thank all of you for your input. I didnt think it was too much-I have done heaps of these & can do them in a few minutes-lots practice on mine! I agree these are not the sort of customers I want but was starting to worry a little with a few in a couple of days.I gotta admit they suck to change, but still you get used to it-I changed mine a half a dozen times in 2 weeks when I first got it experimenting with different globes & got plenty of practice.and I agree I think a tradesmen should be paid what they are worth. it takes years to become qualified and even though a headlight globe is pretty easy, there are still things that can go wrong.anyways I will stick to my $20 charge & hope no-one else whinges!thanks again guys
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 27d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 28/07/06 01:12 AM Posted 28/07/06 01:12 AM I'd pay ya $40 to change the drivers side one, and I'd supply my own globes.On the condition you could do it without disconnecting the battery so I don't loose my average consumption figures.My hands are a bit too fat for the job... (I'm leaving myself open to this one)...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now