Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 23/07/06 10:35 PM Author Posted 23/07/06 10:35 PM Oh dear - you were doing 70km/h past Qld Transport I'm sure the GPS Receiver was playing up thengiven me something to put on the list of things to do.Yep, I've got an extensive list of things to do as wellPanda
Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 23/07/06 10:39 PM Author Posted 23/07/06 10:39 PM lumpy dont forget to add it to the list of what you dont really needYeah, like I said in my first postIt doesn't tell you which way to go in the way a Sat Nav would, but it looks pretty cool.It's not about functionality, it's about looks.Panda
Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 27/09/06 09:26 PM Author Posted 27/09/06 09:26 PM I've moved on from using Google Earth, to a proper Satellite Navigations program - Map Monkey.Now, instead of just showing where I've been with Google Earth, I type in my destination and it guides me to where I want to go. This will all seem pretty boring to those who have used Sat-Nav before, but I've been trying to make this work for ages so I'm pumped.It turns down the volume of the music or DVD and then gives me a warning 500m before the turn "In 500m turn right", then turns the volume back up and most importantly, if I miss the turn it will re-calculate the route.Panda
loopism Tractor Driver Member 709 Member For: 20y 7m 28d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 28/09/06 11:29 PM Posted 28/09/06 11:29 PM Awesome - Map Monkey is a great bit of software
voy74656 voy74656 Member 2,039 Member For: 22y 10m 20d Location: Adelaide Posted 27/10/06 12:16 PM Posted 27/10/06 12:16 PM (edited) Got this all working....sort of :-pThe only way I seem to be able to get it working is to use a program called GPS2GoogleEarth which just runs on the Navman and maps the coordinates - exports them to .kml files which u open in google earth and violas - c below:Just wondering if theres a better way to do this?Mine also doesnt guage the speeds - just tracks where im going so im not 100% on target somewhere?Any info would be handy - would be great to use this on cruises n upload it so every1 can see exactly where we went - how fast/slow/back roads etcVoy Edited 27/10/06 12:18 PM by voy74656
Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 27/10/06 08:45 PM Author Posted 27/10/06 08:45 PM Mine also doesnt guage the speeds - just tracks where im going so im not 100% on target somewhere?Any info would be handy - would be great to use this on cruises n upload it so every1 can see exactly where we went - how fast/slow/back roads etcI would guess that the program you are using doesn't track speed??I've only ever used the GOOPS program on the carputer, so I don't know much about the program you are talking about.You are building a carputer aren't you, or am I thinking of somebody else??Panda
voy74656 voy74656 Member 2,039 Member For: 22y 10m 20d Location: Adelaide Posted 28/10/06 07:13 AM Posted 28/10/06 07:13 AM Still deciding
zedman Member 64 Member For: 20y 3m 4d Posted 28/10/06 02:29 PM Posted 28/10/06 02:29 PM So just to clarify with this carputar thingy, its a laptop that you run in your car using the factory premium screen, right?very confussedZedman
Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 28/10/06 09:04 PM Author Posted 28/10/06 09:04 PM Still decidingIt's a lot of work, but well worthwhile (In my opinion). I certainly wouldn't pay $800 for a GPS / SatNav and $500 for a DVD player and $400 for a TV Tuner and $200 for a MP3 Player while missing out on Internet / OBDTo each their own.Panda
Panda Member 225 Member For: 22y 5m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, QLD Posted 28/10/06 09:12 PM Author Posted 28/10/06 09:12 PM So just to clarify with this carputar thingy, its a laptop that you run in your car using the factory premium screen, right?very confussedZedmanI built a computer based on a desktop motherboard with a 12Volt PSU and a Video Card which will run to the factory ICC (Premium Audio)Here are some links-Sat NavTV TunerConnection from carputer to ICCAuto-OnCarputer for saleHave a read of these posts and you will be less confused. Any questions, just ask in the relevant threads.Panda
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now