XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 14d Gender: Male Posted 19/01/06 02:43 AM Posted 19/01/06 02:43 AM do others think I should or could tow a wrx on a car trailer for 200k's?my car is stock manual..the towing limit is 1600kg's right??my brother is in a spot of bother down south..all replys appreciated
MYF6 Legacy Donating Member 172 Member For: 21y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Earth, I think? Posted 19/01/06 02:59 AM Posted 19/01/06 02:59 AM Your car could do it, but you will be over the tow weight limit with a car trailer and a WRX. A WRX weights in at a little over 1400Kg dry, a car trailer will certainly be over 200Kg. The cops would have you and God forbid you have an accident the insurance company would leave you high and dry.So the question really is 'should' you do it. I'd do it for my brother, but I've been told I don't play by the rules
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 19/01/06 03:28 AM Posted 19/01/06 03:28 AM Yeah do it ... it'll be the quickest ride the WRX will ever have :spit:
cobrav8 Member 1,969 Member For: 21y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand Posted 19/01/06 03:37 AM Posted 19/01/06 03:37 AM Do it - keep to 80-90km/h, dont flog the clutch, and brake early. Keep well back from other cars, and drive carefully. (These are the rules I follow for all towing of car trailers).
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 11d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 19/01/06 03:49 AM Posted 19/01/06 03:49 AM Yeah do it ... it'll be the quickest ride the WRX will ever have :smilielol:<{POST_SNAPBACK}>If only if were an auto though hey Jeff
mahoy Member 22 Member For: 21y 1m 5d Location: Wyndham Vale, Victoria Posted 19/01/06 03:49 AM Posted 19/01/06 03:49 AM I think you will find the limit for the manual is actually 1200kg (well that's what Ford recommend anyway).
Mick Molloy Member 85 Member For: 20y 9m 2d Location: Brisbane QLD Posted 19/01/06 03:57 AM Posted 19/01/06 03:57 AM Make sure you get the weight correct on the trailer not too heavy or lite on the draw bar....Move the Wrx on the trailer to correct this..
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 14d Gender: Male Posted 19/01/06 04:13 AM Author Posted 19/01/06 04:13 AM thanks for all the tips guys..
markxr6t Member 476 Member For: 21y 11m 7d Location: Perth WA Posted 19/01/06 06:17 AM Posted 19/01/06 06:17 AM Yep -1200kg is the Ford specified tow limit - and its because of the clutch which is the "fuse" for the T5. As said above, take it easy on the clutch, do 80 -90kph in 4th gear and don't go into 5th. Also, use revs and don't lug in the lower gears as the torque plus extra load puts more strain on the drivetrain and is more likely to make your clutch slip than higher revs.that's what I'd do....
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 22d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/01/06 06:23 AM Posted 19/01/06 06:23 AM I towed a Dingo on a huge heavy duty trailer, but only for 5km.I stil blew a V6 commie off at the lights and the clutch took the launch.I personally would not risk it as you must be able to borrow a big 4x4 from somewhere or even rent one for $200 for the day from Avis.The clutch will be the problem as well as the max 185kg download on the towbar.Having just removed mine from the car, I can say they do not look very heavy duty.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now