Diff Ratios

will-82

• Member For: 19y 2m 12d

hi

I was wondring if the diff ratios r the same between the manual mk1 and mk2

as im thinking about going to the 6 spd in my ute and wasnt sure if the ratios r the same,

I plan to change the ratios to 3.9 or 4.11 any way, and thought mabye the mk2 might something close to this to make life easier

thanx in advance for your help

brett

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d
I plan to change the ratios to 3.9 or 4.11 any way, and thought mabye the mk2 might something close to this to make life easier

thanx in advance for your help

brett

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no 3.9

I've used the 4.10; It's too low in my opinion, and I've tried the 3.46, 3.73 and 4.10. I think the 3.73 is a good compromise with the turbo, and loads it up pretty well.

Why do you want the 4.10?

Brian

• Member of team Kittens
  • Member For: 20y 1m 5d

I am also running the original 3.45 with the T56. I love it! Much better ratio's on the roll IMHO. Car has so much torque it is just a non issue...

I run an organic clutch which also makes it easy to ease off line under normal driving, but does not suit hard launches so combined with the taller diff will never be a recond holder down the strip!

What ever works for you!

Cheers, :+1:

Ben,

• Member For: 19y 2m 12d

I had 3.45 in my commdore with a t56 and just found it lacking and 6th gear was useless

I then fitted a set of 3.9 and it changed the whole car and 5th was the new city gear and 6th was useable on the freeways

but I might try driving a mk2 and see how they ratios r in that

Edited by will-82

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 4d
I had 3.45 in my commdore with a t56 and just found it lacking and 6th gear was useless

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cdore T56 has a .5 6th ratio, the T56 in the T a .62, so there's a huge difference there.

As a comparison, at 110kph, you'd be doing approximately the following revs with the 3 different diffs with the .62 6th ratio:

3.46 2040 revs

3.73 2200 revs

4.10 2400 revs

The 3.46 diff will go very well cruising at these revs, and as I said the 4.10 is way too low.

If for example you used the Cdore .5 6th ratio with a 3.46 diff, then as a comparison with the above figures you drop to around 1650 revs, which would NOT work well at all; so I understand where you are coming from.

Ironically, with the 4.10 diff, I'd love to have a .5 6th gear ratio.

I trust this helps.

Brian

• Member of team Kittens
  • Member For: 20y 1m 5d

I would agree with this if the car had less torque than it did... They way I look at is this...

1st - now 12% taller - not so good getting off the line but actually useful ocassionally in the really tight stuff!

2nd - taller and much better for overtaking from slow speed becase of the higher speed (115km/hr) at 6000rpm - of course I would only to this on private road.

3rd - close to what it was

4th - no change and the ratio is good at 60 and 70km/hr

5th - shorter than the old 5th so actually better in some situations

6th - only use it on the cruise and no good for overtaking, however at 105 - 110km/hr it delivers awesome fuel econ, and makes the car very quiet on the long cruise.

3.73 might make 6th more sueful more frequently but it isn't necessary IMHO. I love the taller 1st/2nd.

Just my 2c. :+1:

Ben.

I then fitted a set of 3.9 and it changed the whole car and 5th was the new city gear and 6th was useable on the freeways

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>