Engine Mounts

built2redline

• Member For: 18y 11m 20d

well one of my engine mounts gave way last week, and im not one to do things by halves so I ordered both sides to be replaced at the same time.

I got a nice little surprise when ford spares asked me for 198 dollars each!! :beeer:

anyways I took the car to my trustworthy mechanic and told him to change them over.

the R/H engine mount is a comlete :pinch: to change.. everything on that side of the engine had to be removed to get to the one bolt that holds the engine mount from the topside.. thigs were removed in order

1.turbo piping

2.heatshied on the exhaust manifold

3.exhaust manifold

4.turbo from exhaust manifold (what a :pinch: of a job this is very limited space to get to the bolts)

5.turbo removed from dump pipe

6.heatshield removed from engine mount

7. and then finnaly the single solitary friggin bolt that holds the mount in place can be undone :drunk:

once that was out it was a matter of replacing everything in reverse order

when we pulled the mount out it was brittle, cracked, and split. the mechanic and I put it down to the heat caused by the turbo and dump pipe had actually cooked the rubber (even though it had its own heatshield) and eventually it gave way, leaving only the "shoestring" to hold it together and eventually the shoe string snapped.

the L/H mount was easy as pie, no need to remove anything as the to bolt is easily accesible though the intake mainfold with a long ratchet extention.

this mount was in ok condition however it had sagged slightly.

so it was also replaced.

all in all this little exersise cost me a total of almost $800..

damn there goes the edit money again :beeer:

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3d
well one of my engine mounts gave way last week, and im not one to do things by halves so I ordered both sides to  be replaced at the same time.

I got a nice little surprise when ford spares asked me for 198 dollars each!! :blink:

anyways I took the car to my trustworthy mechanic and told him to change them over.

the R/H engine mount is a comlete  :msm: to change.. everything on that side of the engine had to be removed to get to the one bolt that holds the engine mount from the topside.. thigs were removed in order

1.turbo piping

2.heatshied on the exhaust manifold

3.exhaust manifold

4.turbo from exhaust manifold (what a  :msm: of a job this is very limited space to get to the bolts)

5.turbo removed from dump pipe

6.heatshield removed from engine mount

7. and then finnaly the single solitary friggin bolt that holds the mount in place can be undone :gooff:

once that was out it was a matter of replacing everything in reverse order

when we pulled the mount out it was brittle, cracked, and split. the mechanic and I put it down to the heat caused by the turbo and dump pipe had actually cooked the rubber (even though it had its own heatshield) and eventually it gave way, leaving only the "shoestring" to hold it together and eventually the shoe string snapped.

the L/H mount was easy as pie, no need to remove anything as the to bolt is easily accesible though the intake mainfold with a long ratchet extention.

this mount was in ok condition however it had sagged slightly.

so it was also replaced.

all in all this little exersise cost me a total of almost $800..

damn there goes the edit money again :pinch:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do not have to remove turbo or manifold to do the right hand mount I have done 3 of these one on our car and 2 others.

Just remove the little heat shield on the mount undo the centre nut and the long bolt that holds it to the crossmember jack the motor up het presto mount out.

Ian

• Member For: 18y 4m 30d

Car in with Ford today for the 3rd time to rectify 'knocking sound on left side'. Previously claimed it was suspension and that tightening it would resolve it. Didn't.

Guess what, they just phoned me to say it was the LHS engine mount - completely broken. 'Never seen one completely broken before'. Ah well, glad it's a warranty job.

Thing is, car isn't driven hard (wife's car). Stock 12/03 auto T with 57k (I have the bike for that). I shudder to think of the stresses you pilots with 250+ rwkw put on yours......

• 5 years later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 15d

How is the engine mount's heat shield removed?

pretty difficult spot to get into, managed to get the camera in and take a photo of it, just some round metal pin head sticking through, want to remove it without butchering it if possible!