Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I was washing the car this morning and notice 2 small lumps of rust in the corner of the boot. Upon further inspection it looks as though the boot's been leaking for quite some time.

Mine is a 2003 so anyone who owns an XR around these period, have a look for signs of rust.

My car has done 35,000kms and so far it's had 2 diffs, a leaking sump gasket!, leaking radiator core and now rust.....

post-6554-1131761306_thumb.jpg

  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Bloody hell,sure not good,mines the same vintage :blink::blink::blink:

vik...guess what I'm about to do!!!

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 4m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mackay NorthQueensland
Posted

that is a bit of a shock, ford have some work to do by the looks. :blink:

  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I've sort of noticed that Australian made cars tend to rust easily. I drove an XT pool car the other day and it was only 2 years old and it had rust just under the tail lights where I think someone binged it. And when I was looking around for a 2nd hand car 3 years ago, I noticed that the screws in the doors of the AU had rusted badly. I've got an Audi A4 as well and I think European cars tend to be better rust proofed. No sign of rust so far in the Audi and its several years old. I think they use extra protection in the body against rust due to the amount of salt they put on the roads in Europe during their Winter.

  • Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.....
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 15d
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Noosa QLD
Posted

Thanks for the warning

shall check my beastie,

I have a boot liner so its a rare thing to look under there!!! :blink:

shazzy

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 4d
Posted

I have the same problem, Not quite as severe.

Took it in as I had a leak from that area to get it fixed. I had seen it leaking and there was some rust present but they said if they didn't see it leak they wouldnt fix it!!!

Stillwell Ford Main North Roade Adelaide

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I'll take it to my local ford dealership... Though they don't go out of their way to please customers. They'll probably spray some rust converter on it, slap a bit of silicon on the seal and send me on my way.

  • Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Bogan Shire
Posted
I'll take it to my local ford dealership... Though they don't go out of their way to please customers.  They'll probably spray some rust converter on it, slap a bit of silicon on the seal and send me on my way.

But dont ford have like a 6 year anti-rust (anti perforation???) gaurantee on their new cars? I'd check that, Im sure it HAS to be repaired properly mate.

Lumpy :blink:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
I have the same problem, Not quite as severe.

Took it in as I had a leak from that area to get it fixed. I had seen it leaking and there was some rust present but they said if they didn't see it leak they wouldnt fix it!!!

Stillwell Ford Main North Roade Adelaide

Those guys eh? Recently got quoted by them for a new phoon. Bought elsewhere :censored:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...