Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Strapped in and holding on
Posted
We're all not as brilliantly erudite as you f6.some guys are just regular Joe's off the street who need a little information to work from-the whole point of this thread.What should a prospective buyer be asking.I gather you think knock sensors disabled is okay for Joe Public

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, a thread of this nature could be very beneficial. It all depends on what the underlying reason behind peoples replies are. Seems some see it as another avenue for trawling.

Me, I ask the people who tuned mine. If they tell me knock is enabled, I'm as happy as Larry. I have mentioned to my tuners if there has been any sign of pinking, as it happens.. They have re-tuned to suit if the situation has ever arisen.. If I know for a fact knock sensors are enabled, there should never be an issue if I melt a piston should there?? Should be a walk up case. Even still, If I hear pinking, I get off the throttle very quickly.

As mentioned in my other posts, I ask tuners to cap boost WHEN the car is on the dyno, before they start. Extreme F6 asked me what I wanted, I told him. Wog asked me what I wanted, I told him. I then asked them if what I was asking is unreasonable, or if they deemed it 'safe'.

This should be a lesson to all consumers, and to take this from the thread atleast. Whoever your tuner, don't ask for unreasonable results, some do and accept the concequences. Your tuner knows his own and the hardwares limmitations better than you, listen to him.

To answer your question as to 'why'. When I asked the same question of Extreme F6 as to why, he said the factory sensors are very sensative, and sometimes 'detect' knock when infact there isn't any sign of it.

This can be akward for some aftermarket short motors floating around. One particular brand is exceptionally noisy, probably due to the type of internals it posesses. This creates a noise not dis-similar to noisey lifters or 6 knocking big ends. This makes for an impossible tune with knock sensors enabled, as results showed...

Others may tune so close to pinking that a small rise in heat ( If not temp compensation is enabled ) or bad fuel will cause a frequent loss of power.

Extreme F6 mentioned he 'alters' the sensor to take out 3 degrees of timing. What if a bad batch of fuel causes a bad ping and 3 degrees isn't enough? What then??

Or you have nearly run out of fuel and have to run 95 octane? ( as I have ) and not had a 95 map?? What if the driver has NO IDEA what a ping sounds like???

We modify our cars. We have for years and will for years to come. Everyone should know the risk of modifying a turbocharged engine. I too am guilty of turning up the boost in previous cars, with catastrophic results.

The problem is the power is too easy to obtain, and quickly gets outgrown, the path to a quick hike in hp is way too easy and the competition in the aftermarket tuning sector is heating up.

They'll turn off the knock sensors if it means they make more power and get more work because of it. It's human nature. He with the biggest dyno graph wins. It's too easy to loose perspective when looking at the numbers some are achieving without actually appreciating the work and development that goes into these cars.

We are but Men, after all....

  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the computer, obviously.....
Posted

Nobody asked, but I'd say the easiest way to explain what knock sounds like is that it isn't disimilar to having a miget under the hood, throwing marbels and gravel around in a periodic fassion, in accordance to throttle position and rpm...

If this isn't even close to being right, well.... Then I'm certainly screwed...

  • - Track Bound EVO III -
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Strapped in and holding on
Posted

HAHAH..

better get me a midget to test that one out.....

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: sydney
Posted

What happens if a Unichip tuner sends an engine out pinging?? Will it self destruct?? or can they protect it to the extent of an edit tuner??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O they self destruct alright :spoton::pinch:

  • My new toy
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld.
Posted

What happens if a Unichip tuner sends an engine out pinging?? Will it self destruct?? or can they protect it to the extent of an edit tuner??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O they self destruct alright :spoton::pinch:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey jb you got that right.

Ian

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 2d
Posted

What happens if a Unichip tuner sends an engine out pinging?? Will it self destruct?? or can they protect it to the extent of an edit tuner??

O they self destruct alright :spoton::pinch:

I think thay go BANG

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 10d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

What happens if a Unichip tuner sends an engine out pinging?? Will it self destruct?? or can they protect it to the extent of an edit tuner??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O they self destruct alright :laughing::spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thay go BANG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know they go BANG!!! :clap:

  • F6+300+
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 24d
  • Location: In The Ute
Posted
What happens if a Unichip tuner sends an engine out pinging?? Will it self destruct?? or can they protect it to the extent of an edit tuner??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O they self destruct alright  :spoton::clap:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey jb you got that right.

Ian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thay go BANG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The knock sensors didn’t work to well with that particular F6 and the unichip!! :clap::clap:

I bet we never get an explanation to that one!! :laughing:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

FFS someone develop some software so we can all check whether it's enabled or not as well get whoever we want to tune the thing....

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 29d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
They'll turn off the knock sensors if it means they make more power and get more work because of it. It's human nature. He with the biggest dyno graph wins. It's too easy to loose perspective when looking at the numbers some are achieving without actually appreciating the work and development that goes into these cars.

Good post F6, and unfortunately all too true. I just hope that as more people get educated about this stuff (me included! :laughing: ) we'll eventually realise that the biggest dyno graph isn't necessarily the best. The constant focus on absolute numbers is a hell of a worry. :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...