Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/10/05 02:08 PM Posted 29/10/05 02:08 PM For the first few months after my car was edited, it ran well. Took it to Calder one night and I was running 0.5 seconds slower. Nick had a look, Craig had a drive. results, no clear answers.Took it back to my tuner, somehow the car had "lost" its tune, if that's possible. Reloaded, dynoed again, all OK.Few months later car now seems to be running rich. Put the foot down and it hesitates, as if it is has too much fuel No backfiring or anything, just this hesitation.Ease off, go again, and its usually OK.The thing that confuses me , is that fuel economy of the car is nearly back to what it was pre-edit days ~450k's+ out of a tank, city driving. Exhaust though is black and dirty.I think my car is out of tune again, after 4 months or so. Can this happen with edit and if so, why?
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 22d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 29/10/05 02:51 PM Posted 29/10/05 02:51 PM well dont the ford PCM's "learn" over time??maybe as you use it on the street so often it "learns" itself to a less powerful street tune.
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 29/10/05 02:56 PM Posted 29/10/05 02:56 PM This isnt really possible. Ill try and explain some things here as best I can and believe me.. im hopeless at trying to clarify things.Firsty the best thing about editting the factory PCM is you are in control of the pcm...Now if you had a car with injectors fitted and it wasnt tuned correctly then yes the tune would change... you only have to be out on the injector settings a little for the car to start to change its tune over time. It really isnt possiible for the car to loose its tune if its tuned right in the first place. Ive had cars do 30000 kms and put them back on the dyno and be pretty much well the exact same power.If like I said you where to be out on fuel curves and injector sizing by more then 10 percent (that isnt much) so your pcm's trimmings had to try and work outside there capabilities then yes its going to chop cna dchange over the duration more kms are done.does that make sence.. sorry if it doesnt.
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/10/05 03:07 PM Author Posted 29/10/05 03:07 PM does that make sence.. sorry if it doesnt.Helps, sort of. I understand what you are saying, yet it doesnt really help I have Nizpro drilled injectors - are they any harder than any others to setup properly?
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 29/10/05 03:42 PM Posted 29/10/05 03:42 PM does that make sence.. sorry if it doesnt.Helps, sort of. I understand what you are saying, yet it doesnt really help I have Nizpro drilled injectors - are they any harder than any others to setup properly?I use there injectors and find them the best to set up, I use them in all my cars that my customers havent bought other types other wise its theres everytime
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 05/11/06 10:52 AM Author Posted 05/11/06 10:52 AM (edited) So guys, time to ask the question again.Power is clearly down in my car (again) and it frustrates the out of me. I am that far from an 11 its ridiculous. Car was last tuned and Dynoed in July on a "conservative" Dyno. 274rwks's at the time, but adding the 8% as advised, supposedly I had 290ish at the wheels.So, 4 months later, cant crack 112 mph, which is what I used to run when I had less than 250atw's.So, whats the story? Before I do a track day, is it a prerequisite to have the car re-tuned to ensure a good result?I just want a quick car that provides consistent results. So all you edit experts, what's the answer? Edited 05/11/06 10:53 AM by Flukey
Paul@eliteauto Member 843 Member For: 20y 1m Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 05/11/06 11:03 AM Posted 05/11/06 11:03 AM (edited) try doing a carbon blast before you go spending any serious money!that's a good start I think.Also cats have a tendacy to melt done and rob you power. Edited 05/11/06 11:05 AM by Paul@eliteauto
Aeron Member 194 Member For: 22y 5m 14d Location: Sydney Posted 05/11/06 11:13 AM Posted 05/11/06 11:13 AM Sounds like you need to clean out your boost solenoid. Its located sort of next to your battery but down a bit. Take the top hose off, spray WD-40 down it, put the hose back on – give it 30mins – take it for a thrash and it should be good. Hope that helps.
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 19d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 05/11/06 11:14 AM Posted 05/11/06 11:14 AM Luke, have a chat with Rob and get him to have a look over the car. I was talking to him on the way back and he seems to recall that it could be a valve spring issue. Best bet would be to talk with him.Geea.
Flukey Seriously Flukey Member Legacy Donating Member 4,354 Member For: 22y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 05/11/06 11:16 AM Author Posted 05/11/06 11:16 AM Luke, have a chat with Rob and get him to have a look over the car. I was talking to him on the way back and he seems to recall that it could be a valve spring issue. Best bet would be to talk with him.Geea. ←Springs have been done though Craig. I know my injectors are maxxed, but that doesnt explain it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now