Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 17d
Posted

I spent an hour driving a brand new final series Monaro around Ringwood last night. Man do they sound GOOD!

I went in an auto one a year or so ago and wasn’t that impressed. This time it was a new manual (US style) and the latest one and a very different experience.

They are tiny inside though - my hair rubs against the roof which is dumb as Im not THAT tall (6’1). If you were 6'3 and above, forget it unless you like driving with your head sideways. Boot is tiny. Getting in is hard as I have to duck under the roofline over the door area. You would need to be small AND do yoga to get into the back seat easily. Must say the car is full of size compromises. Great for a single guy who isnt too short or too small, but a compromise for everyone else.

The sound is one of the best things. Wind the windows down and open the sunroof and its great. That US style exhaust is unreal and I wish all aussie cars had it instead of our generally muted versions. Power is pretty good too - you can feel the difference a huge rotating mass makes. Hard to tell in comparison to my car as the power delivery is just so different. Power sometimes comes on quicker – no turbo spool up needed. Pull from 2000 revs was MUCH MUCH better than I expected...makes me think twice about taking them on at low speed! The latest one puts out 260kw/500Nm. 1692kg. The engine feels very solid because its just so BIG....getting back into mine, the engine felt much less significant - although still quick.

1st gear goes OK...hard to judge against the T until I run them side by side. Easier to get off the line fast though as I dont think the torque comes on as strong and suddenly as the T so you can more easily put the power down. I reckon mine would kick it in 3rd from say 80-150kmh no dramas whatsoever, but 1st and 2nd, no idea until I run some tests.

Gearbox is *much* slicker and very smooth when changing - not one ounce of notchiness or tightness despite only 1500k on the clock, although I admit it feels completely remote so you dont get the real detailed feeling that you do in mine - but it makes mine feel very rough and notchy and unrefined in comparison (although I reckon mine feels stronger too). Not one iota of diff or other driveline-related clunk. Clutch is a little too light (suits the girly Expensive Daewoo drivers I guess) but works ok. Brakes are the squishy have-to-press-them-far type, but stop the car well. I prefer the T’s brake feel as always-squishy brakes can get very scary when you really heat them up and the pedal starts to get near the firewall during hard braking. Handling seems tight - can feel the difference only 2 doors make to the body/chassis dynamics.

Overall, I was pretty impressed other than the size. A lot better sound and performance than the SS and earlier Monaro I drove about a year ago. A great car to drive. But the zillions of compromises mean I dont think I would own one. Maybe if I was 4 inches shorter. That sound though – it is simply awesome. And the performance would keep me relatively happy.

Must say, the 6 litre SS will be my most likely next car unless Ford do something amazing as I believe they have been slack in updating things much over the last few years....I can only imagine what that 6L engine would be like!

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Bionic Bealie
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 1d
  • Location: Perth West Oz
Posted

Well - I can appreciate a hot, fast car.

But I would never buy a Holden, no matter how good it was.

I'm just too one-eyed.

But thanks for the insight on the "other side"

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 8d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Me too ..

Looks like I will be getting one as a lease car.

It might be a Expensive Daewoo but at least it only got two doors like my T :spoton:

The slower monaro might help the licence too :msm:

  • 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Not sure about the head room problem you had because I am 6'4 and I had no problems with head room. But I always put the seat all the way down and pretty much slide it all the way back.

While working at a Expensive Daewoo dealership part-time as a uni student I had the chance to drive em all and I recon they are a nice car!! The 6 speed is a must though! :spoton:

  • Artificially Aspirated
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 8m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted
Not sure about the head room problem you had because I am 6'4 and I had no problems with head room. But I always put the seat all the way down and pretty much slide it all the way back.

While working at a Expensive Daewoo dealership part-time as a uni student I had the chance to drive em all and I recon they are a nice car!! The 6 speed is a must though! :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could of the headroom be because of he probably drove the CV8-Z(mension last production models which is the Z's) with the sun/moonroof? That would of taken a few inches off headroom easy.

Nice review mate :spoton:

  • XXR.64T
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: sydney's east!!!
Posted

hey mika when u were driving in 1st did u find there was clunking or no. Coz some of the previous models ive driven I found that, but not that its an issue to me. It wasnt my car hehehhe

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 17d
Posted

Thanks Micka,

it's good to hear they drive well as I'm picking up a new 6 speed R8 Maloo this afternoon & I havn't driven anything newer than my brothers VX SS. I was pretty calm about until I read your post, but now I can't wait to get it! Ill let you know what the 6.0L is like, should be fun, as they make 460 odd NM at 1600rpm.

Cheers,

Steve.

:wootjump: :spoton:

  • Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 23y 10m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Dé·jà vu
Posted

What was the drive away price mick?

  • ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!
Posted
But I would never buy a Holden, no matter how good it was.

I'm just too one-eyed.

But thanks for the insight on the "other side"

Me too.......

But tell me, what industrial strength cleaner did you use in the shower to get the Expensive Daewoo stench off of your skin mate. :spoton:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 7d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Great review, thanks mickg! :crybaby:

I agree that there's few things to beat the sound of a nice V8, and I actually kinda like the look of the Monaro too (bonnet scoops aside). But the two door factor means I'll never own one - just doesn't mix too well with a family of four! :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...