1/4 Mile Story

Adam

• Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 11d

Power is the work done. Its the time it takes to push a certain weight over a certain distance in a certain period of time. Its a Force distance variable....

If you have a higher power average, then will go down the quarter in less time or with a higher MPH (if traction and transmission losses were 0, then you would always go faster and always have a lower ET with more power) than simply more torque.....

If your car makes an average of 300kw at the treads between 4500rpm - 6000rpm with 700nm of torque at 3500rpm, but the person next door makes 330kw average between 5500 - 7000rpm, with only has 600nm of torque at 4000rpm, the person next door is going to slam you down the quarter, ever time, assuming traction isn't an issue (remember, these power figures are at the wheels, so transmission choice has no affect in this example).

I have a whole theory thing behind it all if you wanna take a look at it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 25d
<snip>

I use a waterspray on the intercooler and intake plenum to help with the cooling.

<snip>

Geea. :spoton:

Can you explain further, what sort of system? Just hose them down? :spoton:

Sounds like a plan I need to know more about. :spoton:

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 16d

<snip>

I use a waterspray on the intercooler and intake plenum to help with the cooling.

<snip>

Geea. :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you explain further, what sort of system? Just hose them down? :thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan I need to know more about. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'd actually somethink I saw Jeff (xlr8ed) using in Qld. I was using a 2lt coke bottle filled with water and I saw Jeff using a pump water spray bottle that you can get from the hardware store. I use it in between runs to help cool down the plumbing, intake plenum and intercooler. I just spray cold water on them and they cool down quicker which means more useful runs. The problem with draging at the track is all the time with the car stationary building and retaining heat. This isn't the case on the street as the car is usually in motion and cooling itself down. If you are doing this it's important to make sure that your car is not dripping before you get to the front of the que. I take a towel and remove any drips from under the front of the car.

Geea. :hrmm:

• Lemming No #5
  • Member For: 19y 5m 5d

<snip>

<snip>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'd actually somethink I saw Jeff (xlr8ed) using in Qld. I was using a 2lt coke bottle filled with water and I saw Jeff using a pump water spray bottle that you can get from the hardware store. I use it in between runs to help cool down the plumbing, intake plenum and intercooler. I just spray cold water on them and they cool down quicker which means more useful runs. The problem with draging at the track is all the time with the car stationary building and retaining heat. This isn't the case on the street as the car is usually in motion and cooling itself down. If you are doing this it's important to make sure that your car is not dripping before you get to the front of the que. I take a towel and remove any drips from under the front of the car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you add too much cold water though want it crack something. I thought going from hot to cold dosent really go well.

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members
If you add too much cold water though want it crack something. I thought going from hot to cold dosent really go well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you make sure to only do the pipes that carry air it's not an issue. Don't spray the turbo or engine directly, a little overspray won't hurt.

Geea. :thumbsup:

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members

<snip>

<snip>

Almost worth plumbing in some tube and a little electric motor ala windcsreen washers. Not sure how you'd get past the heat around the cooler though (thinking cheap, simple to install plastic tube rather than heavy expensive metalic hosing and so on.

Good tip.

• Site protagonist
  • Lifetime Members

<snip>

<snip>

Geea. :msm:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you explain further, what sort of system? Just hose them down? :msm:

Sounds like a plan I need to know more about. :censored:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geea. :glad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost worth plumbing in some tube and a little electric motor ala windcsreen washers. Not sure how you'd get past the heat around the cooler though (thinking cheap, simple to install plastic tube rather than heavy expensive metalic hosing and so on.

Good tip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my old car I had a water spray hooked up to the windscreen washer bottle. I had a "T" piece at the bottom of the bottle that had one side for windscreen and the other for spray. I also had a couple of taps to turn either off. When I had the spray on I disconnnected the wipers to stop them going when I used the spary. I had both taps in easy to get at spots. I had one tap off and one on. I think there is a thread with instructions and pics on here somewhere.

Geea. :glad:

• The 'nice guy'
  • Donating Members

<snip>

<snip>

Geea. :spit:

Can you explain further, what sort of system? Just hose them down? :sofa:

Sounds like a plan I need to know more about. :spoton:

Geea. :sofa:

Good tip.

In my old car I had a water spray hooked up to the windscreen washer bottle. I had a "T" piece at the bottom of the bottle that had one side for windscreen and the other for spray. I also had a couple of taps to turn either off. When I had the spray on I disconnnected the wipers to stop them going when I used the spary. I had both taps in easy to get at spots. I had one tap off and one on. I think there is a thread with instructions and pics on here somewhere.

Geea. :sick:

If anyone knows the thread........post the link! :spoton:

Good idea there, I was thinking the same thing, except using an electric changeover so I could do it in car.

My concern would be finding a way to the intercooler that wouldn't melt those little bitty plastic pipes! :sofa: