NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 05/06/05 09:37 AM Posted 05/06/05 09:37 AM Had my T for about 2 1/2 years now and 50,000k, its seems to have developed a problem where when the DTE is 130k or less (or the needle is anywhere near 1/4 tank)the car wont rev, it coughs and splutters and carries on like it has no fuel at all(AY Sixfan!!), bring it up to half a tank its fine again. I just dont ever recall this before driving to qld and back, either its picked up crummy fuel or the pump is knacked? any ideas?Yes I have asked Ford, but they are yet to resolve other issues lol.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 05/06/05 09:40 AM Posted 05/06/05 09:40 AM Can't see it being the pump. It would act that way all the time if the pump was buggered I would think.
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 05/06/05 09:53 AM Author Posted 05/06/05 09:53 AM Can't see it being the pump. It would act that way all the time if the pump was buggered I would think.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought the extra weight of a fuller tank may help it and its stuggling nearing empty? (I am no mehanic lol), was also mentioned it sounds like over boost but it only happens on a low tank.
jordak Member 1,226 Member For: 22y 3m 29d Posted 05/06/05 09:57 AM Posted 05/06/05 09:57 AM Do you here a ticking noise when you turn the key to accessory ? If so it may well be the pump on its way out
sixfan Flaccid Member Legacy Donating Member 2,503 Member For: 23y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: NOONAMAH, go figure..... Posted 05/06/05 10:01 AM Posted 05/06/05 10:01 AM Can't see it being the pump. It would act that way all the time if the pump was buggered I would think.I thought the extra weight of a fuller tank may help it and its stuggling nearing empty? (I am no mehanic lol), was also mentioned it sounds like over boost but it only happens on a low tank.Yup I can verify! Would be very embarrasing when draging a commadore....please don't suggest take it to the dealer...poor ole NT's been there and that isn't a solution!
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 05/06/05 10:06 AM Author Posted 05/06/05 10:06 AM SIXFAN!! OMG you must have been watching, a commy tore shreds off me today
cqae Member 229 Member For: 22y 11m 3d Posted 05/06/05 10:13 AM Posted 05/06/05 10:13 AM it possibly could be a fuel pump, they are know to have this symptom, but is not a common thing for pumps in general. Shoulod be easy enough to get the tank level to the level where the fault occurs then pop into an auto elec or mechanic. The should easily be able to do a fuel pressure & flow test which will show fuel delivery. & also get them to check pump current draw, not with an amp meter though, use a amps probe & a scope. This can show any wear in the motor commutator &/or an indication if there are anyblockages. A blocked filter or crushed fuel pipe increase load on the pump which is refelcted in its current draw. these checks can conclusively test the fuel delivery system. Also the scan data while the fault is occuring shoulod easily see injector pulse widthes & o2 sensor readings which will give an indication of where the fault lies
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 05/06/05 10:30 AM Author Posted 05/06/05 10:30 AM Thanks cgae, a matter of finding someone with the equipment you mention, worth a try though if its not too expensive( hate shelling out when its under warranty still.)jordak, no, no ticking noises or nothing out of the ordinary.....well...some weird noises when you nail it cold??.........then theres the power steering squeal on sharp right turns (.....at any speed??, no its not the wheel spin)......
Guest PSIXR6 Guests Posted 06/06/05 06:47 AM Posted 06/06/05 06:47 AM Do you here a ticking noise when you turn the key to accessory ? If so it may well be the pump on its way out<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just recently noticed this ticking noise u mentioned when the key is turned to the ON position. I have located the noise and its coming from the fuse box inh the engine bay. I dont know what it is???
simmo Member 431 Member For: 23y 7m 29d Gender: Male Location: byron bay more underarm hair per square km Posted 07/06/05 10:34 AM Posted 07/06/05 10:34 AM (edited) when you say your car seems to starve at the same fuel level,maybe its running out of fuel ,I know on some ba falcons ,and crummydores they have had a problem with the b.c.m.(BODY CONTROL MODULE)and by its getting cofused and reading more fuel on the gauge and trip meter than you have actually got in the tank.in my work I do alot of road service and have encountered many ba,s with the same symptons or they have stopped and by putting fuel in the car ,it will start.a faulty pump will be a random problem and wont only happen at a certain time,but at any time.fill up your car and see how many kms you get per tank,dont take any notice of the dte reading,use the speedo . start Edited 07/06/05 10:38 AM by simmo
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now