Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 24d
Posted
Filter and CAI are usually done first simply because they are cheap mods that provide noticable gains, particularly the 2nd CAI for less than $50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jordak, I probably should do a bit more background reading (which I'll endeavour to do), but in the meantime, could you please explain what a '2nd' CAI is? When I thought CAI, I was looking at something like Intune Motorsports item, which retails for $390! :spoton:

This $50 CAI option sounds MUCH more appealing! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A DIY 2nd intake that involves making a hole in the front of your existing airbox and running a 80 - 100mm pipe from the airbox to underneath the passengers side headlight.

Do some searching as there are some very good threads that provide show and tell instructions.

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
Filter and CAI are usually done first simply because they are cheap mods that provide noticable gains, particularly the 2nd CAI for less than $50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jordak, I probably should do a bit more background reading (which I'll endeavour to do), but in the meantime, could you please explain what a '2nd' CAI is? When I thought CAI, I was looking at something like Intune Motorsports item, which retails for $390! :spoton:

This $50 CAI option sounds MUCH more appealing! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:spoton: to the site :)

You mentioned you would stop at 280fwkw. Arn't people getting that with just an edit?

Might safe yourself some money on all the other stuff :)

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
:gooff: to the site :)

You mentioned you would stop at 280fwkw. Arn't people getting that with just an edit?

Might safe yourself some money on all the other stuff :)

You tell me! I'm really quite new at all this, having concentrated in the past on modding my bike. Some of the other questions I had relatye to the difference between an edit and a chip, for example, but I guess that's for another thread.

I just figured that a CAI, filter, etc, would be fairly cheap options in any case, so worth doing. And the exhaust would be mainly for sound benefits, any power gains being just an added (albeit nice!) extra.

You never know, by the time I get round to doing an edit/chip/wahtever, I may decide that, having done these other mods, I may as well fit larger injectors and go beyond 300fwkw!! :gooff:

Thanks for the welcome, and don't you worry, there'll be plenty more questions coming from me! Nice to see we have so many experienced Canberra mebers too, I'll be looking for steers on good places to take the T to...

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

According to the Capa website a standard T will get 240rwkw with a capa box. Get it custom tuned and you might get even more :)

Costs about $1200.

I don't know much about it, just what I read here. Not really interested in modifying power wise. More interested in tyres, suspension, brakes, lights and in-car comfort.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

I'm gonna be doing a lot of reading about all the different options, especially as I was almost blindsided by our local APS dealer in Fyshwick. He is absolutely convinced that the Capa edit, Herrod's Flash Tuner, etc, are all a bunch of crap and that the ONLY way to go is with an APS Unichip?!?!

He was also trying to tell me that the APS stainless steel exhaust system was the ONLY choice if you wanted power gains (as well as a better sound). This got me a little worried about how biased he was and I ran straight to this site to hear about members' real experiences with all this sort of stuff. Funny what people with a vested interest will tell you, isn't it?

I know nothing about Capa, Xede, etc, at this point, but will be learning all I can...

  • Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BrisVegas
Posted

Bugster,

I reckon to follow what you have already set out. With maybe a couple of additions.

1. Remove centre muffler. This is cheap, $80-$150 max. Nice sound, can be a bit droney at times. If too much, you can add Hot Dogs later. The stock system is very good and has a larger cross-sectional area than a single 3".

2. 2nd CAI & panel filter. This is also cheap and together with the exhaust will loosen up a few extra KW but it will sound like its a lot more.

3. When your ready, look at either an edit or a chip (There will be some good 2nd hand chips around by then) Your intake and exhaust will be ready to support a good deal more but would really benefit then from some sort of CAT upgrade. :gooff:

Way you go now and chase that bit of overtime.

Have fun.

  • FG Falcon fan!
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

bugster70

tell us your budget OR end result you want and we can offer opinions on best methods to use.

You are coming to us suggesting methods.

If you want just 280fwkW then chip/edit is all you need. Add CAI by all means. If you want more power then the next step most people will suggest will be bigger injectors.

In your case you want a different exhaust sound (is that for those inside the car or outside?), if that floats your boat then go for it. :spoton:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
bugster70

tell us your budget OR end result you want and we can offer opinions on best methods to use.

You are coming to us suggesting methods.

If you want just 280fwkW then chip/edit is all you need.  Add CAI by all means.  If you want more power then the next step most people will suggest will be bigger injectors.

In your case you want a different exhaust sound (is that for those inside the car or outside?), if that floats your boat then go for it. :spoton:

Sorry mate, you're right, I've probably got this arse end around. Don't really want to fix a budget (although it's not a big one!) in case I shoot myself in the foot by doing a mod on the cheap only to find it needs re-doing later. So that leaves what I want.

The exhaust note mainly for me, so it sounds a bit nicer/sportier when I'm driving hard. Couldn't give a stuff for those outside the car! :spoton:

Other goal is to have a car that puts out more power than stock, but retains stock driving behaviour. So, my initial claim of 280fwkw is pretty close I guess, but I don't want to limit myself to that in case I decide to go further later. Sorry, I know this is all a bit vague at the moment.

I just wanna know that the mods I do now eg. exhaust, CAI, etc, will stand up to further mods later if needed ie. chip/edit WITH larger injectors. So, if I just go and replace the centre muffler for example, will I just need to upgrade the cat later if I want more power that 280fwkw or will I need to replace the whole system? If the latter is the case, I may as well get the whole system now in anticipation, and then have to wait that much longer before I can afford to do the chip, etc. As you can probably tell, this is a long term proposition and I'm in no desperate rush to get there.

I do find the help and advice on this forum invaluable though! :fool:

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 9d
Posted

Ha bugster,

I'm with ya. The first mod I did to my car was the exhaust. Love to have a sporty sound to a sporty car. Went with the 3" system and left the rear muffler off. Sounds great. Gives a bit of pop and burble when changing down and a good roor on acceleration. No drown at all. Pisses the oldies off across the road but I love it.

Happy driving,

Luke.

Guest fredwho
  • Guests
Posted

Bugster.

If you're hell bent on an exhaust, there's nothing wrong with the note delivered with a Remus cat back.

Power wise, as others have indicated (including your own suggestion), the only real problem areas are the centre muffler and cat, and even these aren't really a drama with the power you are looking for.

I have to disagree with some people here about the choice of management, as an edit system is infinitely better than a piggyback for the many reasons and the hundreds of cars that now bear the proof of how good a proper edit can be.

It of course comes back to the tuner. Piggybacks will be cheap on the S/H market, but remember, you only get what you pay for, and one really has to question why people are selling their piggybacks in the first place. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

1. Either Remus or centre muffler only - forget the cat with the power you're after.

2. Edit.

3. The el-cheapo do it yourself CAI can really reduce the value of a car when you go to sell it!

My thoughts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...