iTec TEAM BA Legacy Donating Member 1,755 Member For: 21y 9m 26d Gender: Male Location: North of The Bridge Posted 28/04/05 04:54 AM Posted 28/04/05 04:54 AM I think your best bet would be to sell the software and a set of instructions and let it be a do it your self job... This would make it cheaper on you, less development on the hardware side required by you and would allow a greater pool of minds to figure out the best and cheapest way to do an install, meaning that we win and you win.I think your biggest problem with getting it taken on by a manufacturer would be a) Market size, it is going to be a small market no matter how many cars it works in. b) It is going to be more expensive then a DIY job..
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 22d Posted 28/04/05 06:07 AM Posted 28/04/05 06:07 AM Xbox doesn't have Serial or USB inputs, so is not a solution we can run with...Palm Pilots/Windows CE devices, are a possibility we had looked at, but decent display size/resolution is expensive still, and the cheaper ones have poor size/resolution displays....<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm 99% sure that the controller ports can be converted to usb ports and the XBOX can run all sorts of software as well as having the HD upgraded (eg mine is 200gig). I will greatfully accept a 90% share of the profit if the xbox idea works. :D JOKING MATE! Goodluck with it and keep us all updated. If there is anything the members can do to help, let us know.Cheers, Chris
Pretzel EMS makes MAGIC MUMBO ! Member 192 Member For: 22y 9m 21d Location: Melbourne Posted 28/04/05 06:11 AM Author Posted 28/04/05 06:11 AM pretzel, what about ps2, Ive heard of people running running linux on it and it has usb as wll as firewire.I am only making suggestions and trying to look at everything here logically please don`t think I`m trying to rock your boat.I like to think I know something about consumers as have dealt both retail and wholesale.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>The problem with the PS2 is having the driver to talk to the USB port for comms properly (I am led to believe, I checked into your suggestion)
newxr Member 279 Member For: 22y 5m 18d Posted 28/04/05 06:14 AM Posted 28/04/05 06:14 AM HiTalking about XBOX/PS2 - the new Portable Play Station (PSP) has good connectivity is of reasonable size and has a good displaymy 2.2c worth
Pretzel EMS makes MAGIC MUMBO ! Member 192 Member For: 22y 9m 21d Location: Melbourne Posted 28/04/05 06:23 AM Author Posted 28/04/05 06:23 AM I think your best bet would be to sell the software and a set of instructions and let it be a do it your self job... This would make it cheaper on you, less development on the hardware side required by you and would allow a greater pool of minds to figure out the best and cheapest way to do an install, meaning that we win and you win.I think your biggest problem with getting it taken on by a manufacturer would be a) Market size, it is going to be a small market no matter how many cars it works in. b) It is going to be more expensive then a DIY job..<{POST_SNAPBACK}>The problem with selling software to do it is the platform it will be written and tested for will be what I decide to run it on, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly on other platforms etc.. I wouldn't want to sell software, to have someone then put in the crappiest hardware they could find (Being thrown out for example) to then make the system unreliable, and then of course blame the software.I realise this is probably aimed at a limited market, but I figure that I wanted it and was willing to spend the money developing it, so others may have been interested as well !
macka'sxr6t Member 1,480 Member For: 22y 4m 6d Location: Mildura Posted 28/04/05 08:27 AM Posted 28/04/05 08:27 AM Hi Pretzel,I'm very keen on this and hope this little tool can help you out. http://www.scantool.ca/?Don't know how to connect to display but it already reads most of the sensors your talking about. And it runs directly of the Ford PCMI had other plans for this little tool but have'nt got time at the moment.Let me know what you think.macka
wados Member 617 Member For: 21y 11m 16d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 28/04/05 10:59 AM Posted 28/04/05 10:59 AM that looks like it could work perfect
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 28/04/05 11:40 AM Posted 28/04/05 11:40 AM I'd say I would be in the minority judging by the comments in this thread but I would rather be able to play DVDs and MP3s directly through the ICC rather than have a bunch of engine functions displayed. To me, these would just be an added bonus if they were part of the package.
Guest John Stead Guests Posted 28/04/05 03:31 PM Posted 28/04/05 03:31 PM Question for "Pretzel" ....What display is used in the photo?Laptop, Pocket PC or ???John SteadCanada
Guest John Stead Guests Posted 28/04/05 03:41 PM Posted 28/04/05 03:41 PM A link for "Pretzel" ...http://www.carterrv.com/cartervtach/John SteadCanada
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now