xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 1d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 05/03/05 08:07 AM Posted 05/03/05 08:07 AM Now I figured it would be simple, removing the XR6T factory gearknob, but for the like of me I can't shift it.I removed the entire stick so I could put it in the vice. And I turned it by hand (counter-clockwise) and no go.I tried using vicegrips with a cloth on the alloy piece between the bottom of the knob body and the flared piece goin to the boot. No go.All I ended up was scoring the alloy a bit, and the leather piece spins around, but still the alloy piece won't shift.I can see a join in the alloy at the bottom of the straight section (at the bottom of the knob) and the flared section going to the boot, so that's where I figure it must be screwed together. Ford must you loctite super f..ing red on it, cause I'm stuffed if I can shift it.I've fitted a T56 6 speed, so the 5 speed knob is kinda out of place. Got a Momo to go in.And helpful suggestions ?CheersRobin.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/03/05 08:11 AM Posted 05/03/05 08:11 AM Apparently they use arldite or some type of very tough threadlock. I read that they use vicegrips to remove them, but it sounded like you tried a vice I do not see why they need to stick it on so well....
TURBO4LT Member 1,533 Member For: 23y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 05/03/05 10:29 AM Posted 05/03/05 10:29 AM Hi,I did the same when I got my T56, to get it off I put the shifter in the vice and used one of those oil filter removers ( the ones that look like a seat belt attached to a ratchet) it came off pretty easy that way.Frank
xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 1d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 05/03/05 11:48 PM Author Posted 05/03/05 11:48 PM Thanks for the suggestion Frank. I ended up wrapping some rag around the knob, put on two hose clamps, tighten them up and then use vice grips to hold the screw bodies of the clamps and turned it while in the vice.Hallelujah !!! It finally came off. Now for the next question.The bottom alloy section of the knob looks like the flared out section (covering the end of the boot) is a seperate screw in section as well. I tried the same trick as above but couldn't shift it. I just wanted to check if it actually is a seperate section ? I need this section to cover the end of the boot, cause I'm using an aftermarket Momo knob and it doesn't have this "cover" piece.When you buy a Ford factory Momo knob option do you get the entire thing. ie. Does the alloy flared piece come with it ? And if so, is it screwed on.CheersRobin.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 18d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 06/03/05 01:32 AM Posted 06/03/05 01:32 AM RobinDo you own a vernier or micrometer?If so get some dimension's of the new shifter and the hieght/diameter you require it to be off the boot, I can whip one up from a bit of Aluminium if you like.
xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 1d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 06/03/05 06:33 AM Author Posted 06/03/05 06:33 AM Hi Dagabond,I appreciate your offer, that's very generous of you. By the time I read your post I'd managed to complete the job.Anyway, I ended up heating the lower collar (from the bottom side) with a gas torch and the loctite broke down and the collar came off !!!I then modded the stick a bit (too long for new knob), and made an insert which went inside the Momo knob, but was threaded internally (M10x1.5) so the knob would just screw on. I then polished up the collar and put it all together.I've added a pic so you can see how it ended up.Also I noted the boot has several cracks (crap material), and was wondering if anyone had knowledge of someone who makes a real leather replacement, not crap vinyl like the Ford one.CheersRobin.
maximum_velocity Lemming No #5 Member 1,991 Member For: 21y 10m 9d Gender: Male Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria Posted 06/03/05 06:39 AM Posted 06/03/05 06:39 AM That looks the goods mate well done.
GlennAUII Former XT pilot Legacy Donating Member 4,791 Member For: 23y 2m 9d Gender: Male Location: The Womb Posted 06/03/05 06:39 AM Posted 06/03/05 06:39 AM Looks awesome!!
Cassius Member 214 Member For: 23y 3m 29d Location: Ipswich...along the goat track Posted 07/03/05 10:48 AM Posted 07/03/05 10:48 AM not bad at all. fantastic result.
JoeG Member 92 Member For: 22y 5m 19d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 08/03/05 01:24 AM Posted 08/03/05 01:24 AM Great job!!...looks great. And theres nothing like playing with a bright new shiny knob!!Ha! :naughty:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now