silverchris Member 129 Member For: 22y 7m 27d Location: Bulleen, Vic Posted 15/02/05 05:29 AM Posted 15/02/05 05:29 AM My Auto T has a makes a high pitched speeling noise....only once a day though!It is kept garaged overnight. When I start it up in the morning it makes the noise as soon as I put it into reverse. It tends to get lounder and believe me, it's loud.If I start up and let the car idle for, say, 30 seconds, in neutral or park, then select reverse it won't make the sound.Once I move out of reverse into any forward gear and go back to reverse, thre is no sound.I mentioned it to the dealer at 30k service and they said they could find nothing wrong (but they wouldn't because they weren't starting up inside my garage after an overnight rest). They did say it could be the power steering pump, but that seems odd because, even though I'm not very mechanically minded, I can't see the relationship between that and reverse gear.If the car if left all day outside work and I start up and select reverse it does not make the noise.Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may the cause so I can tell the dealer.Thanks
silverchris Member 129 Member For: 22y 7m 27d Location: Bulleen, Vic Posted 15/02/05 05:56 AM Author Posted 15/02/05 05:56 AM By the way, it's a squealing noise, not a speeling noise. Even I don't know what that is.
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 15/02/05 06:02 AM Posted 15/02/05 06:02 AM Could it be a belt slipping or bearing noise from the pulleys? Craig and I have this problem at the moment of the cars making a squealing noise when cold. It is the serpentine belt or one of pulley bearings, we are just trying to find which one. It only does it while the car is cold.
Kato Member 184 Member For: 22y 9m 16d Location: Brisbane Posted 15/02/05 06:08 AM Posted 15/02/05 06:08 AM (edited) Had my belt replaced and stopped for a while so maybe more of a bearing issue? because the noise is back, louder than ever,only for the first 5 mins of driving! Edited 15/02/05 06:10 AM by Kato
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 15/02/05 08:23 AM Posted 15/02/05 08:23 AM Could it be a belt slipping or bearing noise from the pulleys? Craig and I have this problem at the moment of the cars making a squealing noise when cold. It is the serpentine belt or one of pulley bearings, we are just trying to find which one. It only does it while the car is cold.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Deano........my T does the same thing except more of a squeak, squeak if that makes any sense. Disappears a few minutes after start up..........Serpantine belt for mine but I will get it checked out the 45000k service
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 10d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 15/02/05 08:34 AM Posted 15/02/05 08:34 AM I had the same problem with mine and mentioned it to my dealer numerous times but the response was that they checked the belts but couldn't find a problem. I gave up and just lived with the problem for a few months. I then needed to take the car in to get an exhaust rattle and water pump leak fixed and it hasn't done it since Not sure what they did but I'm not complaining.
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 29d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 17/02/05 06:08 AM Posted 17/02/05 06:08 AM Mine does it too. It's not hte belts as it only does it in reverse on the first start of the day after sitting overnight. (I parked nose out to drive forward to test theory)....It's a gearbox noise for sure in mine.... But I also get an intermittent problem when hot of the gearbox not engaging reverse until about 1500rpm+ is dialed up (can make parking manouvres interesting) and some erratic down shifting as well...A.
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 21d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 17/02/05 06:51 AM Posted 17/02/05 06:51 AM Could it be a belt slipping or bearing noise from the pulleys? Craig and I have this problem at the moment of the cars making a squealing noise when cold. It is the serpentine belt or one of pulley bearings, we are just trying to find which one. It only does it while the car is cold.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Deano........my T does the same thing except more of a squeak, squeak if that makes any sense. Disappears a few minutes after start up..........Serpantine belt for mine but I will get it checked out the 45000k service <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Julian yours goes "squeak squeak" cause its not as tough as ours. I mean its like JB's its bloody WHITE. What were you thinking. Seriously though, I took my car to my dealer and showed him the noise and we agreed it sounded like the top pully. He took it in whilst I waited and when he returned it he told me the pully was fine and that the problem was the belt. Its fixed now and has been good for the last 2 days. I think its possible that somehow the cars are overtightening the belts through too much power or something. Geea.
hatchy Member 12 Member For: 23y 6m 9d Location: Sydney Posted 17/02/05 07:17 AM Posted 17/02/05 07:17 AM Don't know if this is going to help, but my auto turbo had a noise only when cold. hOW much fun it was trying to get it fixed, seemed like it was coming from the belts but could never be quite sure.Took in to get fixed with a few other issues and they said they couldnt find a noise.So I put up with it for a while, but it sounds like a crapped out pile of sh"t every morning until it warmed up.So I took it out to the dealer just before xmas and told them to keep it over night, the next day the service guy said he couldnt fault it, I went off my and asked to speak to the service manager, but he was in a meeting, so I called the principle at Thomson Ford Parra and spoke to him for a while he got the cogs mooving.They Looked at it that arvo and thought they found the problem (WORN BELTS) I wasnt so sure and said keep it over night and check it int the morning. I think 3 or 4 checked it the next morning and it happened again.THE FAULT .....................................................Alternator was seizing up under load......they replaced it and I never heard the noise again, they also fixed the squeeky premium brakes that were driving me and a noise on full steering lock.....Its been 2 months now and no probs, Hope this helps
tur Flight 6 Member 471 Member For: 23y 1m 29d Posted 17/02/05 09:11 AM Posted 17/02/05 09:11 AM I got the same problem and also a squeeky seat dealer told me sqeekys aren't covered by warranty? is this right I said to him what was warranty For? this was the service manager, they said we oiled the squeeky seat and it still squeeked he said we cant do nothing about it I said replace it he goes no its not covered by warranty.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now