Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

XtRmn8, all I can say is you did a fkcin' good job cutting that hole out.

Mine was an abomination compared to yours :sick:

Here some pics of mine.

Same way as you. Also a clearer (brighter) Piccy of the tube going under headlight.

is.php?i=368&img=100_2269.jpg

is.php?i=366&img=100_2265.jpg

is.php?i=367&img=100_2268.jpg

Many thanks for your idea. :spoton:

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Seriously Flukey Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 6m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Got your PM Alan. Looks good :spoton:

Posted

These are some of the best posts Ive seen, nice work boys, make me wish I hadn't bothered with the SS induction CAI. I recon yours may work better at 1/4 the price. I might pull mine apart again and put a 2nd one in. :spoton:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 18d
  • Location: S/W Sydney
Posted

I did this earlier this afternoon, great idea... Its easy to do without the adaptor plate, just make the hole a bit smaller and remove the clamp and this is where it fits snugly in place, just remember make the hole small enough and just squeeze it in and pop. I found it easier to remove air box, then place in the new tube, replace airbox and line tube up where hole needs to be cut and mark roughly where hole will be, remover airbox and use the clamp you removed from the new tube as the template for the circle and cut your hole. I cut mine as close to the edge of the airbox I could go which then gave still gave me access to the screw that holds airbox in underneath. Thanks m8 great idea and under $40 :spoton:

LINK TO CAI PIC ...

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 1d
  • Location: Bossley Park, NSW
Posted

Yeah I found the time to finish mine off yesterday too.

90 mm round drainpipe adapter from Bunnings- $1.50

1.5 metres of 90mm flexible rubber hose from Purple Pig @ $20/m- $30 (I got extra- I only really needed 1 metre)

I cut the hole in the air filter housing a few weeks ago and fitted the drainpipe adapter but I didn't have the hose yet so I drove around like that for a while. It is worth noting that the fuel consumption increased to the tune of about 1 to 1.5 litres per 100 km. Propably due to the hot air being pulled in.

Anyway it was too much of a tight squeeze to fit the 90mm pipe under the headlight and route it around the foglight to the lower grille area so yesterday we removed the bumper and headlight to give more room to work with.

End result as seen in the last pic. I'm very happy and I'm hoping that the fuel economy goes back to where it was before I cut the hole. There's no real noticeable increase in power or responsiveness but the turbo whistle and BOV flutter is definitely able to be heard more clearly now.

It'll cost ya no more than 25 bucks, definitely worth doing!

Anth.

Let's see if the attachments work:

post-3560-1108775934_thumb.jpg

post-3560-1108776601_thumb.jpg

post-3560-1108776696_thumb.jpg

post-3560-1108777099_thumb.jpg

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

I also have the 2nd cai and was wondering if grinding or cutting the ribs from inside the air box would make any difference? Make it smooth better air flow? Any thoughts?

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 1d
  • Location: Bossley Park, NSW
Posted

Hmm, I doubt that it would be of any real benefit. That sort of work (removing jagged edges inside the air inlet passage) really only applies in the head and intake manifold. Not forgetting that there's an air filter in there anyway which will interfere with the flow regardless.

But hey, it's good thinking. At this rate us XR6T owners will soon have as many aftermarket options and mods available to us as Skyline owners currently do!

A.

  • god bless my kids
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: claremont meadows, sydney
Posted

I know it is call a 2nd cai

what wouild the benifits be to close of the original cai and only take air from under the head light

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted
It is worth noting that the fuel consumption increased to the tune of about 1 to 1.5 litres per 100 km. Propably due to the hot air being pulled in.

Anyway it was too much of a tight squeeze to fit the 90mm pipe under the headlight and route it around the foglight to the lower grille area so yesterday we removed the bumper and headlight to give more room to work with.

End result as seen in the last pic. I'm very happy and I'm hoping that the fuel economy goes back to where it was before I cut the hole. There's no real noticeable increase in power or responsiveness but the turbo whistle and BOV flutter is definitely able to be heard more clearly now.

It'll cost ya no more than 25 bucks, definitely worth doing!

Anth.

[

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anth, mate, you are keen removing the bumper bar :pooh:

I reckon my mod has reduced fuel consumption by at least 5%.

Can't tell the difference with power or the like though.

Ive just brought a cheapy G-Tech Pro, so I might try experimenting with the 2nd Adaptor blocked and then open to see if there is any change than can be detected?

If nothing else, it will test if the G-Tech works, and waste some time and petrol :pooh:

  • Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m 4d
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted
I know it is call a 2nd cai

what wouild the benifits be to close of the original cai and only take air from under the head light

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think so much an issue of getting cold air from under the headlight, but getting more air into the airbox from under the headlight, so closing of the standard pipe and using only the under the light pipe would be of miniscule benefit, best thing to do is to cram as much air in there as you can.

Dazza.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...