Dr Z Member 378 Member For: 22y 7m 7d Posted 17/12/04 11:38 PM Posted 17/12/04 11:38 PM At some point the unichip will start to have ill effects on performance. Only way to get it right is to make the computer directly tell the engine what to do to avoid any wierd things happening.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lawsy, with the greatest respect, anyone checking your posting history will see that you keep taking unsubstantiated shots at piggybacks like Unichip. It is one thing to repeatedly parrot popularist opinion that PCM Edits are superior to piggybacks but I believe it is borderline slanderous to make this outrageous claim:At some point the unichip will start to have ill effects on performance.I think I know what you mean by that statement, but perhaps you could have chosen some better words to make your point.May I gently remind you that amongst many other achievements the Unichip currently:* has the largest XR6T after-market tuning market share* holds the record for the fastest XR6T at 307km/hr* holds the record for the quickest XR6T on the 1/4 at 10.98sPeter from APS has made positive statements about the benefits of combining Unichip with APS Edit, so we are supposed to just ignore the claims of the most respected after-market tuners in Australia because of unsubstantiated popularist opinion in the APS sponsors area fired off by someone who is not a professional tuner? Think again.Safe and happy driving...Dr Z.
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 6m 22d Posted 18/12/04 12:10 AM Author Posted 18/12/04 12:10 AM At some point the unichip will start to have ill effects on performance. Only way to get it right is to make the computer directly tell the engine what to do to avoid any wierd things happening.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lawsy the Unichip can easily control the APS phase V development at over 500 RwkW's. I can't understand why you think/feel that the Unichip will have ill effects on the engine, after all if you have perfect ignition timing and air/ fuel ratios across all load and rpm sites, map the Turbo boost to the intended level, what more is it that you feel the engine needs when all of these parameters are controlled safely and precisely. ThanksPeter
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 6m 22d Posted 18/12/04 12:19 AM Author Posted 18/12/04 12:19 AM Pete, what I'd like to know is will the current Unichip high-powered cars like mine continue to use Uniship only when heading up to Phase IV, or will the APSEdit have some part in the next upgrade also?Thanks mate!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Unichip is ideal for the APS Phase IV development as the engine/dyno tuner can fully map the 6 aux fuel injectors which are required at the higher Phase IV power and Torque level. The APS edit will be utilised to alter the rpm limit on a built engine and to change some other parameters like speed limiters where required. ThanksPeter
Guest hsveater Guests Posted 18/12/04 02:46 PM Posted 18/12/04 02:46 PM Pete, what I'd like to know is will the current Unichip high-powered cars like mine continue to use Uniship only when heading up to Phase IV, or will the APSEdit have some part in the next upgrade also?Thanks mate!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Unichip is ideal for the APS Phase IV development as the engine/dyno tuner can fully map the 6 aux fuel injectors which are required at the higher Phase IV power and Torque level. The APS edit will be utilised to alter the rpm limit on a built engine and to change some other parameters like speed limiters where required. ThanksPeter<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmmm interesting,Whatss the fuel atomisation quality like with those 6 auxillary injectors mounted so far away from the intake valves?Must be some reason why Ford mounts em so close to the intake valves!
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 6m 22d Posted 18/12/04 10:20 PM Author Posted 18/12/04 10:20 PM Hmmmm interesting,Whatss the fuel atomisation quality like with those 6 auxillary injectors mounted so far away from the intake valves?Must be some reason why Ford mounts em so close to the intake valves!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good question hsveater and a refreshing change from your previous three.The primary injectors are mounted in the standard location because this is very important in achieving the best engine performance at low engine RPM and small throttle opening (ie low charge air mass flow rates). This is why it is very important that the correct primary Directional Multi Orifice fuel injectors are used in the standard position (see http://www.aps-xr6t.com/falcon/injectors.htm)Under low charge air mass flow rate operating conditions, the secondary injectors used in the APS PHASE IV plenum (see http://www.aps-xr6t.com/falcon/plenum/plenum.htm) are held shut.As the charge air mass flow rate increases to the point where the primary injectors are at the desired higher duty cycle, the secondary injectors in the APS PHASE IV plenum are programmed to supplement the flow provided by the primary injectors. These are controlled and modulated by the Unichip computer to maintain the desired air fuel ratios in the high engine load / high engine RPM operating conditions.There were in fact a number of viable positions for the secondary injectors and only after exhaustive R&D and engineering was the position finalised.The position of the secondary injectors in the APS PHASE IV plenum is ideal at the extremely high charge air mass flow rates where the injectors operate.George
Guest jteale Guests Posted 19/12/04 03:15 AM Posted 19/12/04 03:15 AM At some point the unichip will start to have ill effects on performance. Only way to get it right is to make the computer directly tell the engine what to do to avoid any wierd things happening.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lawsy,Ill effects... wha?The Unichip actually had the reverse effect on my car ... rather than ill effects it had positive effects ... my car when standard had small issues with idle (which I am sure would have turned into stalling after more km's) and would regularly hunt after heaving braking, or when cold (don't even mention overboost) ... Ford cannot get the parameters correct in the PCM, I am sure the cars standard ECU offers many options, but it clearly has limitations, like anything ... and I am sure combining an Edit with a Unichip (or any pigyback for that matter) ... will have positive effects ...Clearly you like the Edit option, and I will have an APS Edit at some stage as well ... APS offer solutions and the proof is in the driving Cheers, Jason.
OwnaXR6T Member 1,519 Member For: 23y 10m Location: Sydney Australia Posted 19/12/04 11:07 PM Posted 19/12/04 11:07 PM Excellent news, Peter. I'm waiting with anticipation to see the release of this awesome kit so I can get it installed. I just have to avoid getting divorced first <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My girlfriend only thinks my car has a chip and exhaust. Best moto for me is don't tell her!!!so what is this in kw
Guest hsveater Guests Posted 20/12/04 01:27 AM Posted 20/12/04 01:27 AM Excellent news, Peter. I'm waiting with anticipation to see the release of this awesome kit so I can get it installed. I just have to avoid getting divorced first <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My girlfriend only thinks my car has a chip and exhaust. Best moto for me is don't tell her!!!so what is this in kw<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Owna,Answer is plenty!!! ... the phase IIII at Expensive Daewoo vs Ford Nationals in melbourne was producing 580hp which is 433rwkw at the back wheels and it did it several times consistantly.I too like you Owna am keen to step up to phase 4 myself and went all the way to Melbourne to see this animal in action on the dyno.Thing is though I wasted my time for APS in their WISDOM had decide to run the thing on some cocktail fuel blend which saw them get disqualified.So expect less than 433 rwkw on 98 octane ... unless off course you fill up at the servo APS DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 2d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 20/12/04 01:42 AM Posted 20/12/04 01:42 AM At some point the unichip will start to have ill effects on performance. Only way to get it right is to make the computer directly tell the engine what to do to avoid any wierd things happening.Lawsy, please don't take this the wrong way, but do you actually have a T and if so have you gone down the path of modification? I have a feeling that you don't have neither, which I am not indicating your opinion is not respected, it's just a very limited statement you have made.You will find most of the members that have modded with whatever device they have chosen, have elliminated most of the factory problems they were having prior to the mods, myself included. Ones who have then removed their devices and relied on the factory unit have gone back to having problems. I cannot see how a Unichip for example will be reliable at 330rwkw and not at 400+? The concept is identical, and combined with an aftermarket edit, would surely compliment each other at those sort of power levels?If you have evidence and or facts that back your statement, I am sure there are alot of people here that would be happy to listen to your information.Please take this in the constructive manner it was intended
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 6m 22d Posted 20/12/04 01:50 AM Author Posted 20/12/04 01:50 AM Excellent news, Peter. I'm waiting with anticipation to see the release of this awesome kit so I can get it installed. I just have to avoid getting divorced first <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My girlfriend only thinks my car has a chip and exhaust. Best moto for me is don't tell her!!!so what is this in kw<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well that's really funny, are you serious? :lol: Now the power for the Phase IV system will be around the 400 to 420 RWkW's and maybe a little higher depending on the engine spec and state of engine tune. ThanksPeter
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now