Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Guest ozzyjim
  • Guests
Posted

I recently test drove the 8 and 6t back to back as im buying in 2 weeks. First I have to say that it feels kinda wrong to compare them, after driving them a walked away feeling that they were very different animals.

The 8 felt like it needed to wind up more, the 6t just stood up straight away. The 8 has huge presence with the sound and bulge, the 6t has that cult? feeling about it.

Either way there both great cars imo, im finding it so hard to choose which to buy that im just going to rock up see which car will give me the better deal. The bad part is that no matter which car I buy, half of me will allways wish I had bought the other:(

If the 8 was quicker than the SS then I wouldnt care if the 6t was quicker, but supposedly it aint so I dont like the thought of getting owned by the 6t AND the ss:(

Ill be sure to let you guys know anyway:)

Cheers

Jim

  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 19d
  • Location: Dodge Scat Pack
Posted

Driving both back to back all of the time, I am now an affirmed XR8 man. (Even after doing evaluations on both the 8 and 6 early in the piece)

The XR8 has got 20k on it now and it just seems to loosen up even more with even better accleration and top end than it ever did. I prefer the weight of the car and it is more stable at high speeds.

The Turbo is still very good and is much better on fuel but (considering I don't pay for fuel, servicing, brake pads or tyres) the V8 just seems to 'turn and burn' a little bit better due to know 'lag'.

I certainly wouldn't complain with either car, but it is the XR8 that is now almost exclusively driven by me and the junior blokes in the office can fight over the Turbo and the Commodores.

  • The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 19d
  • Location: Dodge Scat Pack
Posted

PS - The Late model camira is not faster either. The Turbo had been the fastest accelerating car in the office (until the XR8 loosened up)

Ford engines are notoriously tight and take a good 15 to 20k to loosen up their potential. The power delivery in the Ford is much more linear as opposed to the SS which is doughy down low but only really gets into stride once it hits 4000rpm upwards. A nothing thing (which is typical GMH) is that even thought the redline is set at 5500, the SS will easily spin into the red thus (falsely) giving the impression that the engine is working harder than it is designed to - sort of gives the tossers something to talk about with their mates.

I'll say it again: The 13.98 time recorded in Motor magazine (in the sepcs at the back) for the SS was a freak time set by Jonathon Hawley (I think). It hasn't been repeated (for a standard SS) and this was confirmed by the Editor Michael Taylor. It was just a freak time with a perfect launch and shift through the whole 400m time. It was great but it doesn't reflect the day to day performance of the SS.

There are numerous problems with trying to get a good 400m time with the XR6T/XR8/GT etc and this is mainly trying to transfer the huge amount of torque in the bottom and mid range of the power curve back through two (reasonably) small contact patches with the tyres.

The SS overcomes this by having more of a 'turbo engine' style of surge further up in the rev range thus allowing easier launches without descending into wheelspin like the Falcon does.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 11d
  • Location: Geelong
Posted
PS - The Late model camira is not faster either. The Turbo had been the fastest accelerating car in the office (until the XR8 loosened up)

Ford engines are notoriously tight and take a good 15 to 20k to loosen up their potential. The power delivery in the Ford is much more linear as opposed to the SS which is doughy down low but only really gets into stride once it hits 4000rpm upwards. A nothing thing (which is typical GMH) is that even thought the redline is set at 5500, the SS will easily spin into the red thus (falsely) giving the impression that the engine is working harder than it is designed to - sort of gives the tossers something to talk about with their mates.

I'll say it again: The 13.98 time recorded in Motor magazine (in the sepcs at the back) for the SS was a freak time set by Jonathon Hawley (I think). It hasn't been repeated (for a standard SS) and this was confirmed by the Editor Michael Taylor. It was just a freak time with a perfect launch and shift through the whole 400m time. It was great but it doesn't reflect the day to day performance of the SS.

There are numerous problems with trying to get a good 400m time with the XR6T/XR8/GT etc and this is mainly trying to transfer the huge amount of torque in the bottom and mid range of the power curve back through two (reasonably) small contact patches with the tyres.

The SS overcomes this by having more of a 'turbo engine' style of surge further up in the rev range thus allowing easier launches without descending into wheelspin like the Falcon does.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the XR8 Grant, that they indeed are loosening up and are getting some good speed now and are up there with the turbos (or a tad quicker) your office sounds like a fun place.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Back seat...... waiting for the babes
Posted
PS - The Late model camira is not faster either. The Turbo had been the fastest accelerating car in the office (until the XR8 loosened up)

Ford engines are notoriously tight and take a good 15 to 20k to loosen up their potential. The power delivery in the Ford is much more linear as opposed to the SS which is doughy down low but only really gets into stride once it hits 4000rpm upwards. A nothing thing (which is typical GMH) is that even thought the redline is set at 5500, the SS will easily spin into the red thus (falsely) giving the impression that the engine is working harder than it is designed to - sort of gives the tossers something to talk about with their mates.

I'll say it again: The 13.98 time recorded in Motor magazine (in the sepcs at the back) for the SS was a freak time set by Jonathon Hawley (I think). It hasn't been repeated (for a standard SS) and this was confirmed by the Editor Michael Taylor. It was just a freak time with a perfect launch and shift through the whole 400m time. It was great but it doesn't reflect the day to day performance of the SS.

There are numerous problems with trying to get a good 400m time with the XR6T/XR8/GT etc and this is mainly trying to transfer the huge amount of torque in the bottom and mid range of the power curve back through two (reasonably) small contact patches with the tyres.

The SS overcomes this by having more of a 'turbo engine' style of surge further up in the rev range thus allowing easier launches without descending into wheelspin like the Falcon does.

I agree,

I have yet to be done by an SS yet. The Auto SS's seem really weak as well.

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted

I obviously have the "T" and couldn't be happier. You need to choose which ever car you feel happier with. If you are going to do any sort of mods I'd definately get the "T". For the money spent the "T" will go faster than the 8. The bulge on the 8 is great and so is the sound. I have the bulge and with the centre muffler removed I have a decent sound. It doesn't sound like the 8 (which is awesome), but it sounds pretty good, it sounds powerful.

In the end get what you like the best. Speed and times are not everything, I have yet to be beaten on the roads and its getting a bit boring to be honest. If I was able to I'd get a stock GT (just like Mercturbo's), I wouldn't care about traffic light drags. Rob's car is awesome, wish I could aford it.

Geea. :glad:

  • Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 7m 3d
  • Location: Toowoomba
Posted
Have to wade in here, take both for a test, if u can get a T to test, but I don't see as much unhappiness on any ford sites with the 8 compared to the T

that's so true. There are so many T owners complaining about reliability but very few XR8 owners complaining. 18's and prestige sound are now standard on the XR8 too.

About time too, it needed a little extra standard equipment to make the value for money stakes stack a little more in its favour.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 11d
  • Location: Geelong
Posted
I obviously have the "T" and couldn't be happier. You need to choose which ever car you feel happier with. If you are going to do any sort of mods I'd definately get the "T". For the money spent the "T" will go faster than the 8. The bulge on the 8 is great and so is the sound. I have the bulge and with the centre muffler removed I have a decent sound. It doesn't sound like the 8 (which is awesome), but it sounds pretty good, it sounds powerful.

In the end get what you like the best. Speed and times are not everything, I have yet to be beaten on the roads and its getting a bit boring to be honest. If I was able to I'd get a stock GT (just like Mercturbo's), I wouldn't care about traffic light drags. Rob's car is awesome, wish I could aford it.

Geea. :nono:

Thanks Craig, so you're getting sick of blowing away all the various V8'S and all rest at the lights, tough problem to have, a 12 second V8 killing turbo, you have an awsome machine man, you will think you can get out and walk faster in the GT. btw I still want your job :pinch:

Cheers Rob

Guest Tockley
  • Guests
Posted

Well I have the XR8 Ute (see heavier than sedan) and I have yet to be owned by an SS, and mine hasn't even begun to loosen up properly yet (just under 5 thousand kays on the clock.) I agree with (I can't remember who it was) that said that they are very different animals. They both have their good and bad points and it's not fair to line them up next to each other. It's more of a feeling thing, and it's what brings the biggest smile to your face and makes you go red cos you forget to breathe when you are giving it a boot full! Unfortunately, I couldn't decide so we just got both!

As far as the V8 sound, yeah it's nice but it is stiffled. I've said it before (cos it really pisses me off) that from inside the house, I can't hear my big V8 idling, but I can ALWAYS hear when the turbo is about to leave.. :huh:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...