crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 18d Location: Sydney Posted 16/05/04 07:41 AM Posted 16/05/04 07:41 AM All,have always enjoyed the old heel-and-toe method of down shifting...but have found this task a little harder to perfect in the T. This thread discusses the use of GT pedals and how they look...nothing about performance.Although they look great, I would also be buying them for the extended accelerator pedal and side extensions.The FPV site states "Alloy pedal covers with rubberised non-slip protection and side extensions make heel-and-toeing exercises easier. "So...any T owners who have the rather highly priced GT pedals...your thoughts?Anyone practice the heel-and-toe action with the standard T pedals? Am I just uncoordinated?thanksChris
Goose 00-XRG / 006-FPV Legacy Donating Member 530 Member For: 23y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 16/05/04 11:23 AM Posted 16/05/04 11:23 AM Hmmmm, this is something I've never done in any car, I don't think. I've just jumped off the brake to give the throtle a quick stab between downshifts.Do you heel the brake and toe the accerator? or opposite?
crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 18d Location: Sydney Posted 16/05/04 11:25 AM Author Posted 16/05/04 11:25 AM Hmmmm, this is something I've never done in any car, I don't think. I've just jumped off the brake to give the throtle a quick stab between downshifts.Do you heel the brake and toe the accerator? or opposite? Goose,I go with the traditional method...ball of my right foot on the brake with the heel "blipping" the accelerator between gears...just proving difficult in the T with standard pedals is all.C
Goose 00-XRG / 006-FPV Legacy Donating Member 530 Member For: 23y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 16/05/04 11:30 AM Posted 16/05/04 11:30 AM Anyone practice the heel-and-toe action with the standard T pedals? Am I just uncoordinated? Have you tried bigger shoes??? hahaha jks, sorry back on topic.
Xr6tBug Member 47 Member For: 23y 1m 8d Posted 16/05/04 12:10 PM Posted 16/05/04 12:10 PM What is the deal with the heal toe thing. Is it to give the the car a few rev's just before changing gears to make for a smoother down shift?
Goose 00-XRG / 006-FPV Legacy Donating Member 530 Member For: 23y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 16/05/04 12:13 PM Posted 16/05/04 12:13 PM that's my understanding of it, to match revolutions of the engine to the gearbox.
davef Member 42 Member For: 22y 10m 7d Posted 16/05/04 12:21 PM Posted 16/05/04 12:21 PM Can't get it to work.Do you think it's because I have an auto?
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 16/05/04 12:31 PM Posted 16/05/04 12:31 PM Can't get it to work.Do you think it's because I have an auto?Wrong technique! You need to try toeing and toeing.Trent.
Goose 00-XRG / 006-FPV Legacy Donating Member 530 Member For: 23y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 16/05/04 12:35 PM Posted 16/05/04 12:35 PM Can't get it to work.Do you think it's because I have an auto?Wrong technique! You need to try toeing and toeing.Trent. there's a minor problem, that generally rusults in this
crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 18d Location: Sydney Posted 16/05/04 10:29 PM Author Posted 16/05/04 10:29 PM Here's a description of the technique of Heel and Toe from a teacher at aperformance driving school:Downshifting - In order to accelerate quickly out of a corner, the carmust be shifted to the appropriate lower gear before the corner.Naturally this should be done as late as possible, preferably at the sametime that you are braking for the corner.This presents a small problem. If you are braking and shifting, yourright foot is on the brake, and your left foot is on the clutch. Withoutthrottle input, the engine RPM's will drop quite low and when you let theclutch out, you will 'pop' or jerk the rear wheels. This sudden jerk actsas an additional brake, but could cause the rear wheels to exceed theirtraction limit and cause a skid, to say nothing of the potential damage toeither the engine or drivetrain! The solution lies with heel-and-toeing. This technique during downshifting helps achieve smoothness,while eliminating possible clutch slippage and extending the life of thetransmission.Here's how it goes:1) As you begin braking with your right foot, depress the clutch with yourleft foot. (so far, just like normal). 2) With the clutch all the wayin, two things happen: move the stick shift into the desired lower gear,and rotate your right foot so that the ball of your right foot is still onthe brake, and your heal is over the go go pedal. 3) Now "blip" thethrottle to raise the RPM's by about 1000 - this matches the RPM's. 4)Now release the clutch, and ease off the brake.I guess it is mainly used on the race track for maximum speed out of a corner and ensuring less chance of a rear wheel lock up, also taking care of your clutch, tranny, engine and drivetrain.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now