loaded Member 77 Member For: 22y 7m 22d Location: sydney Posted 14/05/04 12:25 PM Posted 14/05/04 12:25 PM I have done a search on this brake squeal issue with the premium brakes on the XR6T,but found nothing. Can anyone tell me if Ford have solved this problem with perhaps a new compound of pads. From what I have heard it is a common problem with the premium upgrade package.The dealer told me that it is caused by the brake dust, and if I wash the brakes with water regularly it would be the best option.I must have had moron on my forehead that day.Can someone please help?Cheers,Peter
Mondie Firm Member Legacy Donating Member 2,924 Member For: 23y 10m 26d Location: Adelaide Hills Posted 14/05/04 12:35 PM Posted 14/05/04 12:35 PM Loaded,It is a common problem with premium brakes. l know Redhawk has been onto FPV for a fix and l think Ford have been testing a different pad compound to solve the squeal. It is due to a dust build up from what l have read so washing the brakes down can eliminate it, for a short while anyway.Hopefully Red will jump in on this thread and fill you in on where he is at with the fix from Ford.
Guest Guests Posted 14/05/04 01:28 PM Posted 14/05/04 01:28 PM Im in the same boat,BUT its now time to try QFM for pads.when I did my pad change QFMs wernt around for premo brakes yet,vik
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 14/05/04 11:33 PM Posted 14/05/04 11:33 PM Go Queensland Friction MaterialsScotty CCC
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 12d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 15/05/04 02:43 AM Posted 15/05/04 02:43 AM I got s survey from Ford the other day, I put in the "Other Comments" area that the brake squeal on Premium brakes should have been fixed by Ford ages ago. It's getting my goat too. Yes, a quick spray with a high pressure of the hose fixes it for a while, but it soon comes back. It's damned embarressing.
vaughan Legacy Donating Member 17 Member For: 22y 9m 26d Posted 15/05/04 02:01 PM Posted 15/05/04 02:01 PM I also did the recent survey. I complained about the brake squeal with premium brakes on my T and how I kept getting fobbed off by my dealer's mechanic. I received a phone call from a guy who said he was from Ford and that he would discuss my issue with my dealer. I told him it costs me a day without my vehicle whilst they "play" with it and it costs me 2x taxi fares (workshop -> home -> workshop) each occasion. He also said that the service engineer would contact me by the end of the week and arrange to get it sorted out. Well its now 11:59 pm on Saturday night so by my definition that's the end of the week.Guess what ... not a word from the mechanic.grrrrr!
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 15/05/04 02:18 PM Posted 15/05/04 02:18 PM Well the way my 1 day old car is going I guess I am in for squeel as well. I will wait and see if this is the case as I am well known for my ability to chew up brakes inside 15kMy local workshop loves me
Redhawk ....Time to lay this fairytale aside...... Legacy Donating Member 2,657 Member For: 23y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet! Posted 15/05/04 11:45 PM Posted 15/05/04 11:45 PM So your brakes are squealing like a pair of sows at a porcine orgy too huh??Apparently a new composition has been tested by Ford and the manufacturer and is now in the hands of the government testers. My service manager was hoping for a flier from HQ early June. I will follow this up very soon.Yeah, hosing them gets rid of it for about 10 minutes. The longest I got away with very little squealing was for about a week after my FPV track day, used the brakes bloody hard that day!! So that's an option too I suppose, find somewhere where you can give the brakes sh!t for a couple of hours.On FF a couple of guys allowd their GT's to be used as test cars for the new pads, there is a very good thread there on the issue, FF, FPV thread.Anyhow will let you good people know as soon as I can get some more info out of Ford. In the meantime I have got some bumper stickers that say "Brake Squeal a No Cost Ford Extra!!". Let me know if you would like one :lol:
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 12d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 16/05/04 12:29 AM Posted 16/05/04 12:29 AM In the meantime I have got some bumper stickers that say "Brake Squeal a No Cost Ford Extra!!". Let me know if you would like one :lol: Don't tempt me!
Guest Guests Posted 16/05/04 01:32 AM Posted 16/05/04 01:32 AM In the meantime I have got some bumper stickers that say "Brake Squeal a No Cost Ford Extra!!". Let me know if you would like one :lol:Don't tempt me! What he said.vik
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now