Jump to content

cooltint

Member
  • Posts

    686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cooltint

  1. What happens when someone else is driving your car? That wouldn't be so nice would it? Big AL
  2. This article came to my attention yesterday. At least it shines a little light at the end of the tunnel. I've also heard whispers that the new Kuga SUV (based on Focus underpinings) may be built by Ford Australia as well. Here's hoping. Ford Focuses on good news Building the Focus in Melbourne will create jobs and help secure Ford's future in Australia. 25 July 2007 Gordon Lomas Ford Focus will be made in Australia and will be exported to South Africa and New Zealand. Ford delivered some good news this week with confirmation that the Focus will be manufactured at its Campbellfield assembly plant in Melbourne from 2011. It is a ray of hope for the workforce of around 5000 left at Ford Australia following the decision last week to cease production of its six-cylinder engine plant in Geelong at the cost of 600 jobs. The Focus development will add 300 jobs and help secure Ford's future in Australia. The Focus small car which is currently sold in Australia is sourced from South Africa with that operation told the news on Monday that it will no longer make the Focus post 2010. Australia will make hatch and sedan variants for right-hand-drive markets only with South Africa and New Zealand the initial recipients of an export program that will grow with more countries announced closer to the start of assembly in Melbourne. “It's a big opportunity for our local supply base as well as a big opportunity for us,” Ford Australia president Tom Gorman said. “As you can imagine this is a watershed announcement for us.” The Victorian and Federal governments will contribute $20 million each to the project where petrol and diesel Focuses will be made in Australia with imported powertrains. It is expected volume will reach 40,000 a year with 25,000 for Australia and the rest exported. There remains a chance Focus production could overtake Falcon numbers. “You have to keep a close eye on that,” Gorman said. “If we can pick up our volume in terms of overall market share with the Focus it's conceivable. “But at the moment what I like is that we have four very strong products . . . still a very important Falcon, Ute and a very important Territory and from 2011 it will be a very important Focus.” The small car market in Australia has more than doubled on the numbers when Ford pulled the plug on its Laser in 1998 which the Focus ended up replacing when it first arrived here in September 2002. “Ten years ago the small car market was less than 100,000 units and it will probably be 220,000-225,000 at the end of this year.” Ford says engineering and design for future Focus models will continue to be driven out of Europe. But there could be a chance for Ford Australia to have a greater say in product development providing Focus can grow with the “localisation” of the product. “We are a major player in Focus not only in the region but globally,” Gorman said. “I think as we raise our volume and we do better in terms of market penetration we can expect to have more of an input.” Gorman has ruled out niche variations of the Focus for Australian production but admits there is an opening for the Ford Performance Vehicles arm to develop a fresh warmed-over variant along the lines of the current XR5. “With FPV we've always talked to them about extending their reach,” Gorman added. “There is nothing to say we wouldn't have some desire to do stuff with FPV outside of the Falcon and Falcon Ute. “Once you localise, it gives you a whole range of opportunities that don't exist today.” Gorman defended the timing of the Focus deal, saying that it was not signed off until last Friday, two days after the grim news about the Geelong engine plant. “We weren't in a position to finalise the project until Friday. “It's a little early to judge morale (within Ford). “We're trying to be sensitive to the fact we made a very difficult announcement last Wednesday and there are 600 people whose lives have been dealt a little bit of a shock . . . more than a little, a big shock. “We're going to be working with them carefully on redeployment and retraining where necessary. “It's not a feeling of there's a big celebration here at the moment. “I'd say it's relatively muted at the moment given that we made a tough announcement last week.” The Courier-Mail Cheers Big AL
  3. Thanx Shanus for a very entertaining day. I hope your'e all very proud of yourselves keeping me out so long. Surprise, surprise I was late getting to Willowbank and dropped a bolt out of the turbo housing on the way there so I couldn't race anyway, now I've got no chance of winning the 'Club Challenge'. All fixed now and looking forward to the next 'Blonk cruise'. I recommend everyone get your bolts around the turbo area checked when next in getting serviced as 15k seems too long to leave them before they start to fall out. Big AL
  4. Unfortunately this Hot Lap day is on tomorrow and I'll be on the SE Qld Cruise. I was posting it up for anyone else who could make it tomorrow. I have been meaning to speak to you re your contacts as I'm trying to find a set of second hand R-spec tyres so I can have some fun on track days in the 'phoon. I need 18" tyres for a set of 8" BA XR8 rims as anything smaller doesn't clear the calipers. I can't afford the $600 per tyre new price. Any suggestions? Big AL
  5. That's a shame James, I was looking forward to checking out your new setup. Big AL
  6. Nah mate I had mine done last week, I'll show you tomorrow. Big AL
  7. OOPS Well you were still invited if that helps Big AL
  8. I didn't hear you complaining last Sunday when 'The Club' got you into the pits for a tour of the V8 Supercar teams' garage! Now what have you got to say for yourself, hey? Big AL
  9. It will take us about an hour to get to Aspley if we don't have any holdups etc and it's always nice to get there a bit earlier to catch up with everyone before we shoot off. That's all I was thinking. I will be taking my helmet with me but I don't know where the cruise will end, it may take more than an hour to get out to Willowbank. That's why I didn't want to be the one holding up the show. I'm looking forward to running a good time if the weather is kind to us. I thought if we met at 9.30am and left at 10am that would give us plenty of time and allow for anyone who may be running late. It just gives us a buffer that's all. What do you think? Big AL
  10. Mate that thing screams, what a weapon. Big AL
  11. I have to agree 100% that's why I did the drive day. I was just expecting a bit more realism about them. They looked more like modified Production Cars than real V8 Supercars. All they really had over standard cars were bigger brakes, slicks, cage, striped interior and loud exhaust. They looked and sounded great, but not as brutal as I was expecting. Hell even my sister got out there and drove one and she's not much of a driver. AFAIK the Beikoff hot laps is in their only V8 supercar #68. I asked if they just bolted in another seat and the answer was yes. Ideally I'd like to drive that car to see what it was like but as you know leasing a drive in a race car is not cheap and certainly out of my price range currently. I was really just trying to help gather support for one of the low buget teams who battle to get to each round and can use all the assistance they can get. In return you get to experience a real V8 Supercar. I know other teams charge in excess of $500 for a similar experience so I see it as good value. The hot laps this weekend is out at Morgan Park as they said it's hard to get track time at QR. Big AL
  12. With all due respect Russ I recently did the 'V8 Supercar Experience' and was not that impressed by the cars. It was fun but I reckon I could lap my 'phoon quicker. They only had 400hp at the fly. I suspect they're not really ex V8 Supercars either, mine still had the original dash in it. At least Beikoff's car is a current real V8 Supercar with 610hp. My thoughts anyhow. Big AL
  13. We really should be meeting at 9.30am and leaving at 10am as it will take at least an hour to get to Aspley. We need to get this cruise underway on time if we're going to make it back to Willowbank in time for the drags at 4pm. What do you reckon? Big AL
  14. We're heading out to the 'bank on Sat after the cruise if you can find the time mate, we'd love to see you there. Big AL
  15. Why don't you tell us what you really think Shanus? I do concur however. Big AL
  16. Mate send him an email as I'm not sure. He only mentioned Qld. Big AL
  17. Thanx for bringing it forward Shanus, much appreciated (I'd better be on time then hey). Is there anywhere to get a feed once we arrive or do we have to bring a picnic basket? Big AL
  18. Hi All On the weekend I was among a priviledged few that were given the opportunity of a pit tour with a V8 Supercar team at Qld Raceway. These guys are real battlers in the Fujitsu series and can do with all the help they can get. They run on a quarter of the budget the front running teams have. We were given a private tour of their facilities and shown all aspects of the race cars' preparation. I even got to sit in the drivers seat. They're a great bunch of guys (mostly volunteers) flying the Ford flag on a very limited budget. To try and offset some of the costs of running the team they offer Hot Laps in their V8 Supercar. This is their actual race car, not some painted up promo car with a roll cage and loud exhaust, this is the real deal. For just $220 you can get the experience of a lifetime. There are still spots available for the next event at Morgan Park Raceway in Warwick Qld this weekend on Sat 28th July. For those that are keen to experience the thrill of a thundering 600+hp V8 Supercar at full noise on a magic track should contact the team owner [email protected] for more details. You'll be glad you did. Big AL
  19. I'd hardly consider 13sec as slow, especially with the Temp's we get up here. Big AL
  20. I've thought about the same thing. The only solution I could think of was to fit those old skool chrome splash guards that were popular many years ago, but I haven't been game to go looking for them. I think it's the only answer. I'm getting and tired sick of the damage to the paint work caused by having no protection. It's especially bad on the rear with the wider offset on the BF MK1. Big AL
  21. If you change the time I guarantee I'll be there on time, I think. Big AL PS We could always finish the cruise at Willowbank?
  22. Thanx for puttin' in a good word for me Tab ............. I think! Big AL
  23. A bunch of us are going out on Sat 28th after the cruise Shanus is organising, so if it suits anybody better than the Wed night meeting you are most welcome to join us. Gates open at 4pm with racing from 4.30pm. Big AL
  24. Hi All All going well I'll be meeting you guys at the Plaza and I'll try to be on time lol. Big AL
×
×
  • Create New...