Jump to content

gsimon

Member
  • Posts

    28
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by gsimon

  1. Happy Birthday gsimon!

  2. Main problem of fitting the Territory AWD to a Falcon would be the ride height, and the floor pan modification needed where the transfer case sits. The Territory looks like it sits approx 50 mm above a Falcon. I recon a complete front suspension off Territory would be needed, but with maximum lowering to bring it down to Falcon looks. This could affect the front driveshafts. Falcon and Territory obviously have the same frame rails, the same firewall, quite similar floor pan, but differences in the centre tunnel where the transfer case is located. Welding in a piece of Territory Floorpan into a Falcon would probably be possible. The front end frame rails are the same, only stud location is different, and these can be moved. I own a BA XR6 that it would be interesting to convert to AWD, as it is going to get a turbo conversion soon, however the ride height is my main consern. Wouldn't look good if it has to sit 50 mm. above standard falcon..hehe.. I also own a BA RTV Ute. As mentioned above a lot of people think these are 4x4, but as mentioned they all were only RWD with a diff lock. I recon the RTV would be very easy to convert to a Territory AWD front suspension, as the RTV already have the raised ride height needed. Only the floor pan job to do, move the front rail studs, and the rest should bolt in. Unfortunately, the value would hardly go up, and spending all that effort on a $10k vehicle is not really worth it.
  3. Hi again, Managed to repair my old ABS/Stability unit, by cracking off the lid, and soldering new wires from the plug to the print board. The CAN network goes through the ABS unit on its way to the PCM. In my case the CAN wires were broken inside the ABS unit. I glued the lid back on, and now the car starts, and the ABS and stability light goes off as it should after internal check. The ABS unit had the smallest print board and most miniaturized electronics I have ever seen. Will still look for a new unit from a wrecker, since my repair was a bit on the 'edge' of what should be done to a new car.
  4. Hi, For my Territory 2WD, May 2008, I have a damaged ABS/Stability control unit, and need a new one. (crash damage, panel beating it now) This part cost an absolute fortune at Ford, and I haven't found the exact same one from the wreckers yet. Some wreckers wanted to sell me a unit for $350 - $ 500, which is fraction of the new cost. The problem is: My car has ABS/DSC unit with part number 8R29-2C405-BA. (used from April 2008 to May 2009) The wreckers only have a part that are a few months older, or a newer part from Falcon FG. Would it be possible to re-load the correct software to one of these, or do I need the exactly same unit as the car had? Ford Unveils its Dynamic Duo - AutoWeb News Would appreciate very much if someone that knows about this could reply. Regards Gsimon
  5. Hi, The plastic material used for the FPV bumpers seem to be near impossible to repair. It is made of a special material that just 'fizzes' if you try to plastic weld it. How do you do your repairs? Staple gun, and a 2-pack Epoxy glue on top of that seem to work. A bumper shop said this glue cost $500 for a bucket, so I had to pay $30 for a little bottle of this glue.
  6. My car was painted by AFM Enterprises in Osborne Park. Also a first class job well done. Prices at a little bit less than some of the other shops in Osborne Park.
  7. Couldn't get this link to work. In general I don't like stripes, but making it look like FG may be an idea
  8. oh, some differences then. The engine however seem to have been used for a while. Wikipedia has this to say about it: B524T2-R (B5254T4) The B524T2-R has VVT and is turbocharged and intercooled. Output is 300 hp (220 kW) at 5500 rpm with 295 ft·lbf (400 N m) of torque at 1950-5250 rpm with the 6 speed M66AWD (Ford/Getrag) manual transmission. Output is reduced to 300 hp (220 kW) at 6000 rpm with 258ft.lb (350 N m) of torque between 1850 and 6000 rpm with the 5 speed AW51AWD Aisin Warner automatic transmission (2004-2005). The 6 speed TF-SC80 automatic transmission is not limited (2006-2007). Applications: 2004-2007 Volvo S60R AWD 2004-2007 Volvo V70R AWD 2009- Ford Focus RS
  9. Hi there, I have been looking at a LPG system, but haven't got around to it yet. Is there only one supplier of the Liquid Gas systems? Has some of you tested both sequential vapour LPG, versus Liquid injection LPG, and are there so many advantages that Liquid really pays off? For a 6-cylinder car is it running two 4-cylinder units next to each other, or is there a dedicated 6-cylinder computer and valve block for the LPG systems? Anyone in WA running their Turbo falcon on gas? regards Gsimon
  10. There isn't so much Government funding anymore, but probably still some saving with LPG. What vapour system are you running? The liquid system would probably give more KW, but seems to cost even more. regards Gsimon
  11. If Ford is not bringing it in, then it leaves us two options, either grey import from UK, or 'front cut' for swapping all the parts with the XR5. Wonder if there is any difference in the body panels, or if it is just plastic and bolt-on? Anyway this tells a bit about the tuning potential in the XR5. Same Engine block, and lots of other parts the same too? regards Gsimon
  12. Isn't it better to wait until you are done with the P-plates? The idea behind the law may seem silly but it is meant to help to 'learn to walk before you can run'. Sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but I had quite a few near miss accidents when I was 18 to 20'ish. My whole point was if you crash with a P-plates and a turbo car then I'm not sure if the insurance will pay out, and you are stuffed, BIG TIME. regards Gsimon
  13. Hi, wouldn't that be very expensive for little gain? Even if you managed to find crankshaft etc, it would still cost you much more than a supercharger kit.
  14. Is it resolved now, or still faulty?
  15. In some cars the Paddles are fixed to the steering wheel. On others they sit on the column. BMW E90 series has them on the steering wheel. Porsche Cayenne has them on the column above the blinker and washer arms. To have them on the steering wheel would require 3 or 4 spare wires in the clock-spring. Not sure if there are any on the BF. One Ford has them on the steering wheel, saw pictures of 2010 US Ford Taurus. (not a nice car) To wire them in to the gear selector can't be too much of a job. Looks like just transfering the same switch functions as used for the +/- switch in the existing gear selector. There was also one universal kit on Ebay, but it costed a bit, and did look a bit 'rally'.
  16. Been watching some Discovery Turbo on TV, and they were test driving an Aston Martin DB9 with Paddle Shift behind the steering wheel. It shouldn't be too impossible to find some micro-switches, and build some similar paddles on our Falcons either? Assuming it could easily be wired in to the + / - switches at the gear stick. Would been nice to have full control from the steering wheel, rather than using one hand for gear shifting. Has anyone of you attempted to build this already? regards Gsimon
  17. Some functionality description by Ford: (for the BA) Traction Control (TCS only) Traction Control, or Automatic Spin Reduction systems are a significant safety feature designed to prevent wheel spin during acceleration. This results in improved vehicle stability and steerability. If wheel spin is desired (this may be so in some sandy conditions to avoid becoming bogged) the driver can disable the traction control by pressing the button on the dash. The traction control can be enabled again by pressing the same switch again or by cycling the ignition. The TCS uses wheel speed sensors to detect the spinning of one, or both, of the drive wheels. When detected the system will automatically apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel(s), and will reduce engine torque. The brake pressure in the spinning wheel(s) is built up in small steps, so as not to over-brake the wheel(s), and will equalise the available torque between the two drive wheels according to the surfaces the wheels are on. The engine torque is reduced via the engine management system (EEC). The EEC will cut fuel injection and ignition to one or more cylinders depending on how much torque reduction is required. The brake and engine intervention will continue to occur until the wheel(s) are no longer spinning. During traction control operation the traction control warning lamp will flash to inform the driver that the vehicle is under traction control. This continues until traction control is finished. Traction Control (TCS only) The addition of a priming valve and a switching valve allow the brake pressure at the rear wheels to be applied independently of each other and of the driver. The rotational speed of each wheel is determined by inductive wheel speed sensors. Any change in rotational speed is used by the processor in the TCS ECU to determine the deceleration, acceleration, and the slip of the wheels.If one side of the road surface is slippery and the wheel on that surface spins, that rear wheel is controlled by brake pressure being applied, with perhaps some engine power reduction. If both wheels are on a slippery surface and spin, the wheels may be slightly braked but most of the control is through reduction of engine power.Use of brake intervention is limited when the vehicle speed is above 40km/h to prevent excessive brake temperatures being generated at the rear wheels.
  18. Hi again, Thanks for reply! DSC certainly needs steering angle sensor, that is one of the very important signals it need to figure out what position the steering wheel is heading. On the VE Commodores this sensor is part of the airbag clock spring, and it could possibly be the same location on the Falcons. You have a good point about the calibration. It wouldn't be nice to lock up the wheels because of more powerful brakes. However I had a look at the new FPV website, and it seems FPV now has done the calibration job for us. (In the new FG) The drivetrain from FG is almost the same, and maybe this FPV-FG ABS unit with DSC will slot directly into the BF F6 ? It could be a better match than the BF XR unit. regards gsimon
  19. Smaller Toyota like the Celica GT4 has not the same stud pattern. That one is 5x100 same as Subaru. Larger Toyota such as Soarer / LS400 has same pattern as the Falcon.
  20. Hi, The BMW X5 seems to be using the 'same' 6HP26 box, but of course with different housing, and with a 4x4 transfer case attached. Has anyone stripped a Z5 box to use for parts? The X5 has been around for more years, so it should be possible to find those boxes more easy than the ford ones, but maybe that box cost more since it is a 'prestige' car. Also the output shaft would be the same as Territory, since they use the same 4x4 transfer box. Is there a repair manual for the 6HP26 ? regards Gsimon
  21. Hi, My car is a BF F6 Typhoon, 11/2005. At the moment my traction control is not working (probably due to software flashing) That is discussed in another tread. This posting was to discuss how much is involved to retrofit the more advanced DSC system from the later models BF MK2, into an early BF. Here is a description of the DCS option for Falcon: (from Webwombat.com.au) "I mentioned the addition of the Euro Sports Package for the new BF earlier in the piece, and this will initially stimulate sales of the new Falcon as Ford will be offering the $3,900 package for $250 for a limited time. It can be added to XT, Futura and Fairmont sedan models and adds the 6-speed automatic transmission, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), sports control blade independent rear suspension and 17-inch alloy wheels and tyres."http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/ford-falcon-bf-mk2.htm I believe the process will involve replacing the ABS unit, since the DSC software is built into the ABS unit. It would also involve fitting a steering angle sensor. On some cars this sensor is part of the Airbag clock spring. (Not sure where it sits on Falcon) Other than that I'm not sure what else is required? New parts are very expensive, but the wreckers should have a BF MK2 ABS unit with DSC. I have driven some cars with stability control, (I also own a VE SS ute) I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes and wonder why I bother thinking of fitting DSC. I believe that during daily driving in a high performance car it is easy to have a near incident where you are not focused on driving, and things happen fast. DSC may improve 'skills' of a not so focused driver, and can prevent incidents. Appreciate if you know some more technical details. Anyone that has access to wiring diagram, or technical manual for the BF Mk2? thanks for your assistance regards Gsimon
  22. Before I had a company car, it was BA XR6 MK2, and it had the most anoying traction control.. If a wheel started spinning (for example on wet road) then it sounded like it was doing ABS breaking, and it also lost power for a very long time. I believe the traction control is provided by the Bosch ABS unit, but I also believe there is communication with the ECU to remove power. Probably my BF F6 is supposed to have the same? (probably a bit more agressive programming?) I'm tempted to look for an aftermarket system, and fit the Racelogics system from UK, It has adjustable slip percentage, and does not use the brakes, only reduces the engine power by removing fuel injection pulses to random cylinders. However the Racelogics system is expensive, and I think it may also trigger the check engine light. Does anyone know more details of the Bosch traction control on BF?
  23. Sorry Gents, I'm not wanting to build an old Falcon. The BA is the oldest I would consider, (except for the street rod alternative with a 30's car) If I was picking a BA/BF, then the next choice is what year should I pick. Body shells rust more with high kilometers due to stress in the spot welds, and if it is a 2003 the value would drop even more just because of age. Even if I'm swapping all the drivetrain parts, it would probably be good to pick a newer repairable car, to pick a BF from 2006/2007 with low kilometers, since it can't be argued that it is 'old'. I don't think the auction price will be much different for a repairable 2003 to a 2007. Therefore I think it its better to build on a newer one. Also in WA the kilometers is documented in the registration papers, so if the repairable shell has 170.000km when it was sold, then that will be stuck to the history, and I can't say that the car has done less, (my writeoff F6 donor has low k's) Anyway, the value of a home built F6 replica will probably not be that great, probably less than a factory XR6T? What do you think about that? regards Gsimon
  24. ... Haha.. not an old battleship of a BMW.. Not sure if I want to be seen in that. Maybe into a 3-series then, since some of them had 6 cylinder from before, and probably has enough space for it, but I prefer a Ford. Makes it much simpler when the wiring harness can plug directly into the fuse box and instrument cluster! I like the looks of late 30's cars. Maybe if I buy one that's already restored, and not doing any body works, but only modify chassis, (fit the complete Falcon sub-frames in front and rear, and the engine) That way it wouldn't take 1000 hours, but just some hundreds.
  25. Hi, Anyone that can tell me exactly how the BF F6 traction control is supposed to work? My car has had some tuning done before I bought it. (unknown place, with at least 280 rwkw) I think they have messed with the software so the Traction is no longer working. Last week I had a near miss on my way home from the licencing centre. A bit tired so when I pulled out from a roundabout the rear end lost traction, and I was suddenly doing 'drifting' (sideways) Not so cool when you are in the middle of public traffic.. Anyway, I have noticed that the little yellow light is flashing on the instrument cluster when I loose traction, but it doesn't seem to kick in and actually do something. Does the factory traction control apply brakes? or does it just remove power from the engine? What happens first? and what can be wrong in my car? Anyone knows if this can be 'edited' back into my ECU software? (without removing the tune) thanks for your help, regards Gsimon
×
×
  • Create New...