Jump to content

Power

Legacy Donating Member
  • Posts

    314
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Power

  1. They can be modded too. But yeah, love that sound.
  2. Sounds good! Post up the dyno prints!
  3. Despite the apparent lack of need (but many turbos are water cooled), I've never heard of a solution in any of these thread for the T for anyone wanting to consider it. By this I mean one that would allow you to jump out, lock the doors and have it time out. Maybe it is not possible.
  4. EPA is Federal so I imagine so. Also check the website for whatever the State road authority is e.g. Roads & Traffic Authority (RTA) in NSW. So a search for words like exhaust & modification etc. If the site is good like the NSW one you should be able to download/read heaps of info.
  5. ooooohh says I. Should've known that one. Thanks.
  6. Have a look at this page on the APS website. Yes, I use an APS system, but the site is also useful for other general info regardless of what product you are using - if you spend the time searching through all the BS to find it: Go to Exhaust Noise Testing down at the bottom section of this page: http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/falcon/legalities.htm
  7. I use Caltex Vortex 98 exclusively, mainly becuase that's what the car was tuned with. I remain TOTALY unconvinced that it's necessarily the best buy and YES as some smart cookie wrote in this thread it is F---ING expensive compared to the alternatives. My wife keeps giving me these shopping dockets with 4c/litre (or whatever) off Caltex petrol, but every Caltex I've been to that accepts such dockets doesn't sell Vortex 98.....smart. Peak (meaning worst) fuel economy was 20L/100km +/- .3L/100km (see avatar) at around maybe 2,500km - perhaps 3,500km and this was from new, maybe 8km, so never reset. The problem here is Sydney traffic with 99% built up area driving and very low average speeds - say 32km/h - and a heavy foot. Since Phase II the economy according to my calculations by receipts and odomoter, and the tripmeter which seems strangely accurate despite the mods including 500cc/min injectors and dire warnings of inaccuracy, has improved with the same driving to about the 18.5L/100km range. Then again I swapped to Vortex 98 just before the mod so it must be the gas - lol.
  8. What was the car beside you mate? That special hookup method you've been mentioning looked like it was working.
  9. I have the feeling that a spare XR6T engine is going to be a rare thing to find (privately) which is what you are trying to do. Am I right guys? Certainly there is nothing in tradingpost.com.au a well known Australian buy/sell site which includes a whole bunch of other names under its banner. You'll probably end up going to the source - the factory. Wish you well though, I'd like to see a 7 sec XR6T even if it's just the block. Call me stupid (many do) but I didn't catch on to what your "4G63" is. You said it's your daily driver. Keep posting the pics.
  10. My XR6T MkII had a centre divider in the exhaust tip, easy to spot once it was removed for the APS exhaust.
  11. Ford US didn't know - lol - you Americans. Bit of history in the Barra engine (from a recent article in Motor Magazine here): - It still has the same cylinder bore spacings as the original engine was designed in Dearborn in 1957 for the US Falcon, an all new model. - Launched in Australia in the XK Falcon in 1960, built in Geelong, Victoria - 67kW from 2,359cc - Later an upgraded engine for the Falcon XL was available in 'the pursuit - 75kW2 from 2,785cc (170ci) - 20.9 seconds for the quater mile! - Falcon XM & XP were stroked to get 86kW out of the 'super pursuit' 3,277cc version. - Falcon XT in 1968 went to 3.1 litre and 3.6 litre versions. - The XY Falcon in 1970 went to 3.3 & 4.1 litre versions (97 & 115kW) with seven bearing crank with eight counterweights. - Stayed the same for 6 years until the XC Falcon had cross flow heads and (bad) exhaust heating manifold system (emissions controls). Then the Falcon with alloy heads. - 1998 brought the EA with 3.3 & 3.9 litre versions with multi point fuel injection, electronic engine management and chain driven roller bearing cams. - EB Falcon was up to 4.0 litres and 149kW. - 1992 Ford Launched the XR series with the 4.0 at 161kW. - In 2002 the 4.0 went to 182kW with DOHC & varibale cams. - And now the XR6 Turbo takes this to 240kW, and the F6 to 270kW Long live the Barra! -
  12. Just be careful you don't get a stock XR (normally aspirated) engine for example. It probably wont matter, the only difference are lower compression pistons and I'm sure they would go anyway. Then again maybe you want some of the bolt ons too like the turbo exhaust manifold, it's one of those ugly cast iron things that are ideal for what 'we' think of as high hp applications, but again maybe you will go down the custom road with that as well.
  13. Power

    Cams?

    I'd agree with that. If it was a NA motor, of course a cam is a great tool to get more in & more out. But the stock T has so much potential to overcome these limitations the 'unatural' way....more than most will ever do. Of course a bigger turbo(s) on a hotter motor will be a daemon machine.
  14. I've heard so much +tive feedback on Prestons and this $700+ mod I may do that one (I just have a shift kit, and a top notch trans cooler is going in shortly) - but internals will eventually fry no matter what you do. Luckily my box is very very new and as we also know it is very cold in Sydney right now.....but now that get's me thinking colder = more dense air = more power = more auto stress. I'll be moving up to, say, the 350rwKw range next, will this $700 box of tricks still be adequate for that?
  15. Excellent, even amazing for a stock T. Bet you will have a smile for weeks.....and then start thinking of the mods....then you will have trouble sleeping..... Did you bother to do much in the way of burn outs? Stock Ts with TC OFF are hard enough to spin cold, at 2000 they would, but still no big deal. I'm very interested in what you did in this???
  16. Power

    Rim Sizes?

    ....and if you have an accident and your insurance Company notices that legaly it's unroadworthy......and in addition you didn't tell them it was unroadworthy.
  17. Mines tuned at 98 with Vortex 98 in the tank at the time.
  18. Car allowance (helps) pay for it. Software sales rep to the tyre/automotice industry. Get's me to the customer quickly - lol. It actually also gets attention in my industry, which is never a bad thing. Wife has a car, but on weekends I drive.....the T. I can't get her Camry to go the way I want.
  19. I went through this with one local Caltex dealer here in Sydney and he got out some paperwork and said the Vortex was min 96 RON and Vortex 98 still higher. As I said way early in this thread Caltex seem (but the wording is vague) to be the only ones to seem to indicate their RON (reseach octane numbers) are minimums and not avergages. But as I also said, never seen any PROOF. It's all speculation and I've read many hundereds of posts in forums all over....not to mention that often different brands ARE the same - same refinery nothing chnaged - in various areas.
  20. Interesting sideline to the HEAPS of coverage of the new Porsche 911 Turbo S. They, Motor Magazine, pulled off an 11.998 @ 186.29km/h (around 117mph) at WSID! - Stock car - but at $350,000 - ouch! One of the sidebars was this: VBOX v DRAG STRIP TIMES Ever beaten MOTOR's performance times? This is why? For six months our new VBox has been pumping out performance numbers, but this was the first time we'd tested it against the beams of a measured track. So why, we were wondering, did VBox spit out numbers around 0.4 seconds slower than the tracks timers? Blame roll-out. At drag meetings, two staging beams - those two white lights on top of the starting tree - mark the start line. The timer starts when the car moves and uncovers the second beam, a distance close to 30cm - what is called roll-out. A hard launching car like the 911 Turbo S is already travelling at 7km/h by this distance which translates to a time that's interesting but inaccurate against magazine figures. So whilse MOTOR's figures are accurate and repeatable, times recorded at drag strips will always be quicker than our times recorded by the sat-nav based VBox, by around 0.2-0.4 seconds. I guess this means a good G-Tech (different technology but same end result) time, should therefore - all other issues aside - translate into an even better strip time?
  21. 10.44 @134mph What an effort! If the trend becoms a tenth per week, then maybe we will also see this car doing a 9 in 4-5 weeks. 134mph over a quarter in 10.44, think about that another way: 0-216Km/h in 10.44 sec EDIT: Any video!!!!
  22. Truly amazing effort. It's one that we can all be proud of and the 'T's will continue to get second looks wherever they go. Apart from the mini slicks it looks like a daily driver too! Video? Please tell me there is video! Go the 9
  23. I don't want to draw this thread OT, and I don't think I will by asking are any members even driving 100,000Km+ Ts? I'm especially interested in anyone with this distance run modified (even say 80K)?
  24. Power

    Rim Sizes?

    Ha ha, brilliant! Just go to the source! If we had a points system I'd hit you with a few for common sense (wish I had some ). For the Premier State...err NSW for those that don't live here, the RTA has reams of info on modifications as I've found. You can look here for what you want: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...si/vsi_dl1.html Specifically for wheels & tyres you want this: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow.../vsi09_rev4.pdf or if you are lazy a copy of the pdf is attached. It's a very comprehensive document but one core issue stated is: "Minor changes to wheels Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA. The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle." RTA_Guidelines_for_alternative_wheels___tyres_vsi09_rev4.pdf
  25. I just did the quick maths of 410K is approx 260mph (418.42944km/h), but I thought and earlier version of the Callaway (about 88-90) that ran to 410? All I know is that he drove it to and from the Test Course! It definately was not a trailer queen. Lumpy Yeah, my typo it was 1988 (not 1998)! But the speed calcs are correct. There are a bunch of them on the web: Try here for example, but you can find others: http://www.importdriver.com.au/converters.htm
×
×
  • Create New...