-
Posts
665 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by aiboart
-
Another option may be to feed the data you want through the premium sound screen. Later models of the GTR already have this feature. It allows you to have access to all sorts of information that you may not use often, without filling your cockpit will lots of gauges. If I recall correctly the GTR had all types of interesting but rarely used information that could be output to the screen, like injector cycles and turbo temps. I would be interested if G-Tech outputs could be displayed the same way. Of course there is nothing like having exactly the tool, or the information, or the button you want - directly accessible right there in front of you for instant use. Having to dive down through several levels of menu through a multipurpose screen can be overdone too - as BMW has shown with iDrive. regards aa
-
Does anyone know what these things weigh in comparison to std rotors? regards aa
-
The option for patching into the sound system is the Aux 'mp3' input. It takes the output from the headphone jack from any audio device. (including a DVD player) It sits under the tissue box out of sight. The cost is $65 complete and fitted by your dealer. There are people on this site who have posted comprehensive instructions, with lots of clear pictures, on how to build your own version, including pinouts etc. There are DVD players available for kids that sling over the head rests of the front seats and open up, exposing the screen and the 'head unit'. to viewing from the rear seats. These DVD playes are fitted to a carry bag that is designed for this purpose and they fold up to make the unit portable. Some of these units have dual screens for both front seats. Another option is to take along a laptop. And yet another is to wait for the PSP (Play Station Portable) - this is a hand held PS gaming unit that also plays DVD's/CD's etc All the deviced descibed above will patch straight into your new Aux - mp3 input to take advantage of your car's sound system. regards aa
-
..... and don't forget the colour! (My L.S. XR6T is still just a SIDO at the moment. ) regards aa
-
How many of those km's were airborne? And what are the 'aviator' specs all about huh? .... Perhaps a 'Topgun', jacket would be more in order? regards aa
-
Like the XRT, a great Australian product; http://wickedweasel.com/models/ The cossies are also quite nice. regards aa
-
...ahhhh.... no. regards aa
-
......and while we are at it, the weights of bigger/better brake rotors and callipers? (e.g. Std's vs Premo's vs Brembo's etc. )(vs ceramics anyone?) regards aa
-
Does anyone have any information as to the weights of different wheels by style, (within a given size) and the weights of different wheel/tyre combinations between different sizes)? There is a lot of mass to rotate, translate and oscillate
-
Do you have an option if you order the luxury pack for standard/sports leather? <{POST_SNAPBACK}> sadly no... they won't put the normal leather in with the lux pack. I know if I were a potential buyer I'd skip that option because of the sports leather... <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Aiboart, I've got the lux pac, and while every body is entitled to their own opinion, don’t be turned off it because some don't like the look if it. Duel climate control, neat dash, suede door inserts, TFT screen, and those sports seats finish it off. I like the seats! and the XR logo can be in any color you like. PS If your in Melb I happy to show you my ride if that helps you. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I like the sports seats too. TurboFalke, are you sure you can get the XR logo in any colour, regardless of the exterior colour? I've been making this assumption. If so, that's good news! <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Thanks guys, I do like the sports leather, but I just prefer the plain leather and thanks for the offer of the ride. I am in Sydney, but it may be time for a x country when the new car arrives I think! which should be within three weeks. The, 'Falcon colours and trims', folder that I have has a matrix of, 'Exterior/Interior Trim combinations for XR models - XR Sports Leather Seats'. I can scan and upload/PM this if you like. regards aa
-
I am not sure if the std XR wings do anything, other than change the shape of the car from the rest of the BA range, also, the marketing guys thing that the target demographic wants the 'racer' look. Go with what makes you happy. As cars are pose items, and hey its a human need, big wings can look good, but so can the no wing look, or even the tiny lip spoiler found on some hi performance sedans. Sometimes less is more and sometimes more is more. In performance terms ASAIK, the more that you have a smooth down tapering back to a car the more lift you generate there. Think of what happened to the Audi TT when it was released, (they flew) and you get the idea. There was a recall, at least in Europe, and now they come with a small lip spoiler (but it is really small). It would be nice to see some wind tunnel data for the BA both in normal and XR form, lift generation, CD, that type of stuff. regards aa
-
Yup, that's the point. It depends on what your into. I appreciate the muscle car genera, .... .... but it is not the thing that pushes my buttons. (but if you have Viper to lend me for a couple of hours I would be delighted to try it!) The big thing, for me, about the BAT's, T-Birds, Falcons (insert winged moniker here) is their refinement. I can't comment about the quad cam V8's, but hey the Turbo I test drove was a pretty special motor, so that's what I bought. cheers aa (currently accepting offers for test drives for all mid engined exotics, super lux coupes, bugs in teeth hi strung minimalist roadsters, muscle cars, convertibles... and anything else that looks like fun!)
-
No..... ....but, it could well be. The GT is also a very nicely conceived and executed thing as far as I can tell. I haven't driven one but I do know it puts big smiles on faces... Like wine, cheese and beautiful places and well...other things - cars offer different experiences, they all have a different flavour. The trick is to find the great ones and those that appeal to you and then to spend as much time as you can enjoying them. To do this you also have to know a bit about yourself and what pushes your buttons. cheers aa
-
Hi Doc, We are all glad to hear the good news. It is interesting and a tribute to the designers of the BA series that you are considering buying other cars that vary in price by a factor of 4! I know several guys who are now seriously looking at something in the Ford-BA - Turbo series (BAT series), rather than their usual mid or high end BMW's when their current leases end. It's hard for them to go past the refinement, balanced design and of course the linear power that the BAT mobiles offer whether in F6 or T guise. (and no, I have nothing to do with the motor industry '...The best engine Australia has produced, with performance and refinement on par with $150,000-plus Europeans.... Taut, responsive handling. Compliant ride for a sports sedan. Powerful premium brakes. Efficient dash layout. Comfortable seats and driving position....' regards aa
-
Leather ordered! thanks! Leather is nice.... and as brought up in this thread before, it smells like leather.... and my wife likes leather! regards aa
-
Thanks for all the information. Car is now optioned with P-Brakes. regards aa
-
http://www.smh.com.au/news/News/Cars-of-20...6110911715.html '... Ford Ford's turbocharged Tornado ute arrives next month ahead of the all-new Focus range, due in May. The Falcon is expected to get another minor facelift in October with a new automatic transmission but Ford won't confirm this as it does not want to slow the already weak sales of the current model. ....'
-
The premium brakes incorporate a larger 2 pot caliper and grooved rotor than the standard brakes. These although I don't think will make you pull up faster, but will enable you to pull up time and time again without fade. oh and no shudder either. I had standard brakes on my first XR, fade shudder fade shudder fade shudder. So I bought some DBA 4000 rotors and Bendix pads. Fade fade fade, 4 laps on the track and my brakes were toast. Now I have premium brakes on my new XR. 15 laps around wakefield and I haven't been able to fade them yet. Best thing you'll ever buy <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Sounds like I really want the premium brakes.... ..... but the $3K price is just too high for me. (but I REALLY want the premium brakes ). My car will be a road car and it will never be tracked so I hope that the std system will be OK. I couldn't stand the thought that the car is underbraked. But I really want the premium brakes!!!!!! Option Creep Now consider this. I call it Option Creep (OC). You go out to buy a BA Falcon XT, which you know is a good thing for the purposes that it is intended because you have used one for an extended period. It's only design flaw is the steel wheels. The problem is the guys down at Ford Australia have made a Great Thing (GT), a spectacularly great thing, called the XR6-T. This thing is sooooooooo good you just have to have one because it is a magnificent, coherent, balanced, refined, soooo composed, state of the art design. It's just so brilliant, so together that the GT would cost three to four times the asking price if it had a euro badge. You then add the leather option to your new base model Great Thing.... because..... because it is leather!...so there!!! and as noted earlier in this thread...... .......................it smells like leather!!! Then you add side airbags. Then you add power pedals. And you really want the luxo pack with the LCD screen (very nice).... the sports leather is fine too. And you really!!! want the pemium brakes!!! This process is Option Creep! (OC) (By now of course all the marketing chaps at Ford who monitor the forums are slapping each other on the back for being so clever.) As I explained to my wife, (who really likes the smell of leather a lot) you think a long time about buying say a $4K leather sofa, but, make the leather a $4K option in a car and the same decision making process takes about one second. It reduces to, 'I would like that', tick the box! Anyway, I must be strong, I must resist the OC..... perhaps after I amend the order to include premium brakes and the LCD thanks for all the help guys... this is a great group. I can't wait to get the car. regards John
-
Thanks so much Alan, they are great pics. This is exactly what I hoped the cockpit would look like. Re: 650KB files: My wife bought me a digital camera recently and we have a broadband connection. This is a dangerous combination, for other people's inboxes! :o regards jk
-
Thanks guys! Flukeyluke - It seems that the red 'XR' logo is it. I have seen it and it is quite fine. XRBloke - The sports leather is cool, I have seen that too. The two leather trim options create somewhat different looks though and IMHO both work well. The SPSPL being more or less the same colour as the rest of the cabin gives you, 'the all of piece look'. The 'sports leather' is full of contrasting textures and tones and is more energetic. I like both trims, but on balance I will go with the less energetic, calming look. (Have I been reading too many architectural mags lately???) alpal - From what I have seem of full leather interiors you really do not want leather on the doors or dash. I know that from a strict comfort/performace point of view the std fabric seats are probably better too, but hey we are all human, and I love the look and the feel of the leather! see ya! jk
-
Thanks alpal!
-
Hi All, I have a MkII-T on order in Lightning Strike with side air bags and the power adjustable pedals. The provisional build date for the car is middle Feb. but this will be confirmed tomorrow when the factory opens, or so I am led to believe. So while I still have some time to amend the order I would appreciate your collective thoughts and opinions. What exactly are the Premium Brakes, for $3K? Do the brake the car harder (to the limit of the tyres) or are they intended just to resist fade? Do they feel different to the std units? Do the std brakes pull the car up from high speed, to the limit of the tyres, without fade for at least one stop? (This is not something that you can check during a test drive in peak hour hour Sydney ) Is the semi perforated silky pebble leather (SPSPL) option new? and does its 'XR' logo embroidery come in any other colour than red? (dealer says no) The pictures that I can find on the web of leather cabins do not look like SPSPL as far as I can determine. Can someone please post a picture of the SPSPL cabin? Thanks and regards jk
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.