Jump to content

F6 RAPID

Legacy Donating Member
  • Posts

    2,332
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by F6 RAPID

  1. F6 RAPID

    Xr8 Or Hsv

    They really don't have a great engine. Sure it makes power but it is VERY doughy down low and a very antiquated design compared to the new 5.4. How many people know of friends with gen3's that have required rebuilds? Go the FORD!!!!
  2. Does anyone know what type of fuel (Optimax, premium or plain unleaded) the xr8 requires? I forgot to ask my dealer (not sure many salesman understand anyway). Also, anyone have any idea yet of expected consumption? Not that it really matters to me, I am just curious.
  3. Which technical vagaries are you most concerned about? And you are correct - a simple dyno graph with the mods I have mentioned would expound all inconsistencies. I must get my dictionary out .................... oh, as a matter of interest to all here, what were the articles? Were they technical in nature? More interesting, were they of turbos?
  4. Nice ride! Have recently changed my order from a ute to a sedan - citric acid!!!!!!! Hurry up March!!!!!
  5. Esky, This is how the bottom end is fixed (improved at any rate - fixed is a personal representation) - very simply. This is from a previous post of mine earlier. Also, go to Autospeed (following my previous directions) and read about Wastgate creep. If you can eliminate that, it dramatically improves your bottom end.
  6. Thanks RichDave. If only I put as much time and effort into work as I do cars and bikes...............
  7. I tried a valve not designed for this purpose (GT Forester) and couldn't get it to work satisfactorily. I bought a boost bled valve from Turbosmart that was designed specifically for this purpose and it worked beautifully. It is now running 3psi more than standard and has been for the last 30 000 kms without a hiccup - and I am not that gentle with the right foot. As I said before, the difference is staggering with only 3psi more boost and no wastegate creep. I can't wait to try it on the xr6 - the valve is coming with me!!!!!! If you keep the increase to 2-3psi, you really shouldn't have a problem with reliability - of the engine anyway. I wouldn't go any higher without a chip for the timing (retard) and I wouldn't be putting in any fuel other than Optimax or Ultimate. The xr6 engine is one of the most under-stressed engines in the world, a little more boost and SENSIBLY driven, shouldn't cause any problems.
  8. Go to www.autospeed.com.au On your left hand menu that comes up, go to Special Features, scroll to the bottom of that page when it loads and type boost in the search box. There are several articles that are worth the read. It is especially interesting when you are a relative virgin?? to turbos. I am sure you will all enjoy !!!!!!! Damn, giving away my secrets....
  9. Ownaxr6t, Look into an electronic boost controller or a simple boost bled valve from Turbosmart will do the same thing for around $110. These things do help low down and part throttle response remarkably. I have done these mods to a previous turbo car and have had excellent SAFE results. Without spending an hour typing trying to explain tuning of them, this is the crux of it. The wastegate on your car is actuated by a pressure diaphragm (that is the shiny gold cylinder thing with a small pressure hose attached). When the turbo starts building boost (which could be as slow as 1000 - 1200 rpm) the diaphragm partially opens and starts to bleed off the boost and it will be fully open by 6psi. This allows a smooth transition through the rev range with no "peakiness". It is good for smoothness, not good when you want instant boost - like you do. By plumbing in a bleed valve (and doing the tuning), the valve itself intercepts the pressure from the compressor outlet before the diaphragm. The bleed valve will not let ANY pressure through to the diaphragm until it reaches its pre-set level (psi). So, even if you retain the factory 6psi, it has the effect of boost building MUCH sooner than the stock setup because there is no boost bleed before reaching it's peak setting. Not only does this vastly improve your bottom end, the part throttle response (as previously mentioned) is excellent. And the upside again?? Dial in another 2-3 psi over the standard 6 psi and feel the difference. It is that noticeable. Mid to high 13's ?? Not a problem.
  10. And the good news is....... I contacted a certain chip company based on the Gold Coast here is Qld and they have informed me that they have already taken delivery of their xr6t for development work and they should have a chip ready mid February. In all honesty guys, the standard intercooler being decent (Garrett) and a front mount will be fine for most street applications. If you are wanting to spend a lot of money bench flow testing new potential replacements, the improvement will not be worth the outlay unless you plan on running a LOT more boost. Run a water spray if you must.
  11. I believe the clip is only there "in case" the lines started contacting each other and made noise. I think we are all pretty safe without the clip. Better that than a fire!!
  12. I hope no-one else likes it so I can have it exclusively!!!!!!!!!!
  13. That could easily start an under bonnet fire!!! Suggest Ford check that out ASAP.
  14. Thanks a lot MrSparkle. A fine dillema I am now in. What do I buy? 6T or 8?? I don't have to wait for the 8 but I really want a 6T! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. C'mon Lionheart, tell us more !!!!!!! Set the scene, paint the picture and all of that. I know I want to hear about an SS being dusted !!!!!
  16. Even if it you go to an extra 5l per 100kms, work it out in real dollar terms. Not much money for the entertainment value. Granted, it could cost in the long term but if I was concerned about fuel economy, I would buy a Honda Jazz and take the stick for the massive drop in porformance. You get what you pay for!
  17. Guys, is there a club of any description in Brisbane ??????????
  18. Guys, a little suggestion for you and one that is completely worthwhile to educate yourself about turbos and the way they work which once you understand will make the job of modifying them (which is so simple!) easy and SAFE! Go to www.autospeed.com.au and search through the archives to find stories about boost control. Well worth the read!
×
×
  • Create New...