Jump to content

Panda

Member
  • Posts

    225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Panda

  1. I have had a few people ask if I would build them a carputer, and after working out a few bugs and niggles, I am satisfied that the reliability is of a high enough standard to sell to others. I've had a bit of a shop around on the internet and have tried to find the cheapest (but good) parts available. If anyone wants a carputer built and has an old PC laying around, I can recycle the parts if they are of any use. This is about how it will shape up - Minimum PSU Jaycar 250W $120 + for bigger PSU Wiring / Plugs Various $75 Case Custom $50 Cooling Fan 1 x 12cm $20 + for ball bearing Motherboard ATX $75 Processor P3 733 $50 + for faster processor RAM 256MB PC133 $75 + for more RAM Video Card Arcade VGA $175 Hard Drive 80GB IDE $100 + for bigger HDD Extra PCI Cards TV Tuner SD Digital Tuner $100 + for bigger antenna Audio Card Dolby 5.1 $75 PCI USB card Generic $30 Wireless Network D-Link $100 + for bigger antenna PCI Video Card For rear screens $100 Optional Accessories Sartup / Shutdown $100 IRDA $50 + $20 for front mount USB port $20 + $20 for front mount Backup Battery $75 DVD Player $100 + $50 for front mount DVD Burner $200 + $50 for front mount GPS Receiver $125 Reverse Camera $150 On Board Diag. $300 Input Devices Touchscreen $250 Cordless Keyboard $50 Cordless Mouse $75 Extras Hidden PSU – add $20 (extra wiring) Hidden Carputer – add $20 (low profile cards, extra heat sinks) Front Mount- Power switch / USB / IRDA in tissue box area is an extra $20 - DVD in tissue box is an extra $100 More than 2 cards – add $20 (better motherboard) More than 3 cards – add $20 (extra cooling fan) More than 4 cards – add $100 (bigger PSU) Recommendations More than 2 cards – faster processor More than 3 cards – more RAM These are average prices not including postage, so the cost to me will be higher. Like I said earlier, all of the suppliers are different in their list price / postage / bulk discount etc. The average will be around $750 + postage. Of course, bigger and better is dearer. I can install this for you, but I live in Gladstone, CQ. Anybody interested? Any questions just ask. Panda
  2. I'll be keeping track of your progress - it would be great to replace the factory screen with an 8" Panda
  3. The Prestige Audio has all of the fruit (sub, tweeters etc)except the colour screen. The Premium Audio has the colour screen as well Panda
  4. Tried but failed, ended up buying a I/R Tranceiver from Jaycar and putting in its place Panda
  5. Yep, it's coming. I wanted to do MP3, DVD, Internet, Sat-Nav, TV Tuner, and headrest mouted screens first. That way the kids and wife are happy.After that, I'll move on to the OBD (I'm already researching it) to keep me happy. When I do that I can have all of the oil / water temps etc. Don't worry, I'll keep you all updated. Panda
  6. Auto-On Circuit Front Bezel (replaced the tissue box) Sat-Nav Panda
  7. Startup Screen DVD Google Earth
  8. I see what you mean - I'll try again 12Volt 300Watt PSU Carputer in boot Carputer battery Carputer box Panda
  9. Instead of reposting the pictures, here's some links to the postshttp://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=26140 http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=27053 http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=26404 http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=28209 http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=27654 http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...T&f=110&t=27043 Hope this helps, Panda
  10. I've been playing some more with my carputer - I've installed a PCI TV Tuner. I used a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 from here. It is a Digital TV tuner with PVR (Personal Video Recorder) so I can record anything that is on TV or whatever input device I have hooked up to it (reverse camera, security camera etc). It has all of the cool features like Picture In Picture and Time Shift as well. Now I can watch digital TV on the factory ICC (not when I am driving of course) I have installed the TV Tuner and it is working, but I am only using a 'rabbit ear' antenna at the moment. The picture will improve greatly when I get the correct 'Diversity Antenna'. Much Googling to go!! Panda
  11. I've moved on from using Google Earth, to a proper Satellite Navigations program - Map Monkey. Now, instead of just showing where I've been with Google Earth, I type in my destination and it guides me to where I want to go. This will all seem pretty boring to those who have used Sat-Nav before, but I've been trying to make this work for ages so I'm pumped. It turns down the volume of the music or DVD and then gives me a warning 500m before the turn "In 500m turn right", then turns the volume back up and most importantly, if I miss the turn it will re-calculate the route. Panda
  12. I've got the Pioneer TS-A5713 5x7 2-Way's in the front Pioneer Webpage, but if I had the chance again I would get the Fusion EN-FR572 Fusion Webpage The Fusion FEW-8 (can't find a link to it) does a decent job, but the Pioneer sub you mentioned does have a better rating. I think the fusion is 200W max, not sure of the RMS.. Panda
  13. Yep, 5x7's all round. These are the front speakers (not sure why they are different) I replaced the front speakers with Pioneer ones, here's a comparison (stock on the left) And I replaced the stock sub with an Fusion 8" Free to Air It's better, but not exceptional. Panda
  14. I'm interested in doing the OBD and have been doing heaps of research on it. Unfortunately this field is beyond me so I have to rely on others, so your proposal sounds great - what's the details?Panda
  15. The carputers can be anywhere between $500 and $1500, the OBDII cable and software ranges from free to $1500Have a look through here - MP3 Car Forums - OBDII Read the FAQ, it will give you a pretty good idea more still more even more you guessed it, still more still going more again here's another one last one Can you tell I have been doing some research. Panda
  16. I've made up a new front bezel to go in the tissue box slot. It has got the carputer on / off button, the ICC screen toggle button, the power led and an infrared transceiver in it. I've never used fibreglass before, so it was quite a steep learning curve for me. It worked out OK though - but only just OK. I plan to make a new one when I have the time. Anyway, time for pics Next time I will put a plastic sheet on the table - god it makes a mess Panda
  17. Well, I made up this circuit and it works a treat - unlock the doors, and by the time I get in the car the carputer is up and running. All for about $6 Panda
  18. Try this Converter Panda
  19. Hey All, I've been thinking about a Startup Controller for the Carputer, and I want it to be cheap and reliable. I like relays, they almost never fail, they're cheap and they're simple. I also want the Carputer to start as soon as possible. I know that I can buy a Startup / Shutdown controller, but I don't believe that 'Custom Made' means buying off the shelf components and plugging them in. Anyway, what do you electrical gurus think of this - Step 1 - Car off and locked, Carputer off The interior light is off, so the first relay will not close - nothing happens. Step 2 - unlock car When I unlock the car, the interior light comes on which closes the first relay (normally open). This is like pressing the power button on the computer - it sends a signal to the motherboard telling it to turn on the PSU Step 3 - PSU powered up When the PSU receives the command to turn on, it then opens the second relay (normally closed) which is like releasing the power button on the computer. This happens almost instantly. So, while the Carputer is on, opening or shutting the doors or swiching on or off the interior lights will do nothing, because the 2nd relay is open. Of course this does not turn the carputer off, but with a seperate battery for the carputer it doesn't really matter, I won't kill the cars battery. Hopefully, with this controller, by the time I get into the car the carputer should be running, even if it was turned off altogether (I normally just put it in standby though). What do you think? Panda
  20. Well that's going to cause interference, take it back to whoever installed it and complain Panda
  21. Is the cable that runs from the DVD player to the ICC plug shielded? Panda
  22. I don't think there is a part number - not from ford anyway. The one I use I made up myself. I'm guessing that it came with the kit when you installed the DVD. What do you want to do? Panda
  23. I'm afraid I have no idea You can pretty much install anything, but power and heat are a problem with beefier units As above they are much smaller physically, and need no cooling fans, but they don't have an AGP slot - therefore to plug into the ICC you need an external box. That's why I got a motherboard with an AGPPanda
  24. It can get a bit annoying when people PM me to ask about the same information over and over, so I ask them to post it. That way anybody else wanting to know that information will learn without me having to type it out again in another PM - maybe I should make up a template with all of the FAQ'sHowever, PM's aside, I don't mind - when I was researching the whole carputer thing I asked a million questions and found out a lot of information from people that were in the same situation then that I am in now. I wouldn't have gotten to the point I am at now without their help. I guess it's my turn to be the teacher. When the current students are finished their carputer, it will be their turn to teach. Panda
  25. about $700 so far it would probably strugglePanda
×
×
  • Create New...