Jump to content

PAH

Legacy Donating Member
  • Posts

    361
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by PAH

  1. Hi Phantmxr6, Um . . . you're not leaving yourself open here are you mate? Sounds like you're suggesting that my car MAKES HEAPS OF POWER?? A friendly ribbing is good. JUST REMEMBER - the DARK SIDE are the control freaks jamming up the right lane in their poxy front wheel drives, 10 km/h under the speed limit and level peg with the dump truck in the left lane. I'd rather share the road with a fellow car enthusiast any day of the week. Blue Oval AND Red Circle gear is OK by me. Ditto for the WRX. What will you do if If Falcon goes front wheel drive? PAH
  2. Hi Guys, Some of us are oil additive fans. Some are not. In favor of PTFE, cars treated with the stuff have been driven without engine oil from Sydney to Melbourne. Check out Fact Sheet No. 105. http://www.nulon.com.au/factSheet.php If it's OK to add PTFE to motor engines that have wet clutches, why does the PTFE not eliminate the friction between the clutch plates? Here's a quote: 68) WET CLUTCHES http://www.nulon.com.au/applications.php#SixtyEight Most four-stroke motorcycles are fitted with a wet clutch. It is commonly known that friction modified oils are not suitable for use with wet clutches as they cause slippage. Nulon does not have this detrimental effect as the PTFE particles do not change the oil itself and are too fine to create a friction free coating on the extremely porous surfaces of the clutch plates. Nonetheless, it is still wise to ensure the clutch is in good condition and is properly adjusted before adding Nulon engine treatments. I gotta say that the Sydney / Melbourne demo impresses me. PAH
  3. Hi all, I'd been using ssymmetric tyres on my Commode when I complained to my local tyre man about the lack of steering resposiveness just off dead centre. He informed me that it's a sumptom of asymmetric tyres. I fitted two directional tyres up the front end and picked up at least a little bit of the nice sharp turn in that I like. I buy my tyres in pairs and always fit them up the front to maximise the new tyre effect on the steering wheels. Comes time for two moire tyres, I buy another set of directional tyres for the front end and shifted the now part worn directional tyres from the front to the rear. On my way out the door, it occured to me to aska question. If directional tyres help steering response, what's the forte of ? The answer? THEY ARE GREAT FOR REAR AXLE GRIP!! Cars such as Porsche and Ferarri apparently fit directional tyres up the front end for good steering response and asymetric tyres up the back end for good rear axle grip. This discovery stuffs up my plans to rotate used tyres from the front axle to the back axle. All's Ok in the dry, but the back end has stepped out in a snappy way once or twice in the wet since fitting the directional tyres up the back end. NOT a pleasant experince! PAH
  4. PAH

    Fg Xr6 Turbo Brakes Ok?

    Hi Guys, I fitted DBA slotted rotors to my Commonwhore SV8. Be careful what pads you use with DBA rotors. I phoned DBA for advice on pads when I bought their rotors. The DBA tech advisor warned me that some pads are not real good at disipating heat, leading to extra heat in the rotors that can cause cracking. Contact DBA if you want to check my memory. http://www.dba.com.au/contact.php Heading the advice, I fitted a set of heavy duty Bendix pads. They grip well when they're warm but they're a tad ordinary when they're dead cold for the first stop in the mornings. PAH
  5. Thanks guys. Does the XR8 air box mod work on the FG XR6T or just the earlier BA/BF cars? What's involved with the tune? I don't like piggy-back computers or having to hack into wiring looms. This tune you're talking about - is it a remap of the factory computer? PAH
  6. Hi all, I know - 270kw's and heaps of torque should be enough. But . . . who's ever met a kw they didn't like? What's available in the way of easy power-up mods for the FG XR6T? Are there any obvious blockages in the inlet or exhaust system? If extra power merely produces more tyre smoke, and the car needs to be driven with the traction control on to feel safe, "too much power" has probably been acieved. PAH
  7. Hi all, The tech spec panel in a recent Motor Mag comparison between the FG XR6T, FG XR8 and VE Commode SS states that the XR6T has single piston front callipers whereas the XR8 has twin piston front callipers. Is it possible to fit the FG XR8 twin piston front brake callipers onto the FG XR6T? If so, has anybody done this? Does it make a worthwhile difference? PAH
  8. In Nov 2008, I got a quote of $46k drive away on a nitro XR6T manual with 19" wheels and the technology? pack. The big stopper was the $10.5k trade-in they offered on my 2003 SV8. Anybody wanna buy a cheap SV8? Oops - wrong forum for that question HA HA!! Apart from that, the car had been used as a demo. Not much - just 100kms. 100kms of clutch side-stepping and rev limiter bouncing? Maybe - maybe not. The other turn-off was that it was a June 2008 car. Having a car stamped 2009 rather than 2008 has to be worth a few thousand come trade-in time. $1.50 / L fuel prices have prompted me to steer away from another V8. Having said that, I doubt thatb there's too much difference between an XR6T and my SV8 when it comes to around town fuel economy. If I use PULP, the car gives around 13.5L / 100kms around Sydney. That's the result of sensible driving of course. I guess an XR6T driven the same way might return 12L / 100 kms? What now? Expensive Daewoo is offering very attractive deals on SS's and HSV's. I wonder if that will put pressure on Ford dealers to respond? Hope so! PAH
  9. Hi all, The time has come to replace my current ride. It's no longer a tax deduction. I took an FG XR6 Turbo for a spin and liked the car. I need a bit of info on 2 POINTS and hope one or more can help. 1.) Fuel economy. How many L / 100 km's can I expect from an FG XR6 Turbo MANUAL. AROUND TOWN. That's where it's gonna do most of it's work. I know it depends on driving style. Maybe you can tell me fuel economy when going with the flow and also cut and thrust (you-know: when the road is clogged with &^*%$'s in the right lane, 10 km/h UNDER the speed limit; and on their mobile phone!). Also (out of interest - what sort of economy on the open road? 2.) I used the search function but did not get the answers I'm after. Some of the motoring press questioned the brakes on the FG XR6 Turbo. Any feedback from FG CR6 Turbo owners? If the brakes are regarded as marginal, any suggestions for a reasonably priced upgrade? Does the Territory have bigger brakes that will fit? Any feedback on the PBR upgrade? Does it make a noticable difference? How much bigger are the PBR rotors? What's in the kit? Is there a better option? I currently drive an SV8 - anybody wanna buy a few slightly used HSV T shirts (size FB) PAH
×
×
  • Create New...