Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • DavoXT
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 16d
  • Location: 1500km north of Perth
Posted

:cry: Iam just wondering if anyone out there has started using synthetic oil in your BAs yet and if so what km did you start using it.

Thanks

  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Yep, after 4500 k's I changed the oil to Castrol fully synthetic 10W60.

Makes quite some difference to engine response, especially at low rpm.

Spoke to my Service Advisor at Titan Ford, and was told tha 4500 k's was enough before changing to synth. oil :cry:

  • Brendan Dennis
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne, Vic
Posted

Guys,

When I first purchased the AUII VCT I was told by a Tickford technical guy (via email) to keep normal oil in the AUII VCT till 15,000KM to make sure everything beds in correctly mainly for the VCT then change to Synthetic.

I am not sure re the BA. I think I will wait again till the 15,000km mark.

  • I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: West Brisbane
Posted
Guys,

When I first purchased the AUII VCT I was told by a Tickford technical guy (via email) to keep normal oil in the AUII VCT till 15,000KM to make sure everything beds in correctly mainly for the VCT then change to Synthetic.

I am not sure re the BA. I think I will wait again till the 15,000km mark.

I tend to agree. Even 20-30,000K's is a good point to change to synthetic.

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I always thought synthetic was better oil?

If so then why do you have to use normal oil for the first 4k/15k/30k?

Then what are the advantages of changing to synthetic?

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 26d
Posted

Synthetic was originally developed for racing applications. It shouldn't be needed in a road car. It has a higher sheer factor, so the tolerances between moving parts that need to bed (wear) in stay as they left the factory.

The idea is to use a mineral based oil to bed in the motor over say 15,000 kilometres, then go to the added protection of a synthetic.

But I am not convinced that it is needed (the synthetic that is) I feel that a regular oil and filter change every 10000 or so would do the job better.

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 2d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted

l believe the only reason Ford run synthetic oil on the turbo is so they can stretch service intervals out to 15000km. Keeps service intervals in line with the NA six and also service costs down. Although having said that a filter change and fill of Mobil1 at the 3000km checkover cost $70.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Albany Creek QLD
Posted

Whilst Synthetic oils were developed for racing their applicaiotn in turbo cars is in my view essential. The Turbo gets very hot and BMW's have it standard. It when things get hot it works much better than standard oil.

I used it in my WRX and got 3kw at the wheeels!

cheers

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 26d
Posted

True Dallas I forgot the Turbo thing...

Easy to do when the car hasn't arrived as yet after two and a half months! Only five and a half weeks to go.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted

Not just turbos either - synthetic oil, due to the very reason stated ie higher sheer strength, allows the engine to run closer tolerances without impacting on economy, and to keep those tolerances for a longer period ie engine doesn't need rebuilding for a longer time (unless it's a Gen III)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...