bdazla Legacy Donating Member 71 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Posted 10/11/06 10:54 AM Posted 10/11/06 10:54 AM As the title suggests, has anyone damaged their turbo? what happened and what were the symptoms?I am having some problems with my car and I beleive it could be the turbo. I have noticed there is a slight knocking if I spin the turbo manually (I took the pipe off)and I have been having a problem when typically under boost. I seem to have a vibration and a dull growning noise.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 10/11/06 10:55 AM Posted 10/11/06 10:55 AM What's the turbine look like?Is there any broken bits?
bdazla Legacy Donating Member 71 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Posted 10/11/06 11:16 AM Author Posted 10/11/06 11:16 AM (edited) The front looks ok. can't say I'm an expert when it comes to cars but as far as I can tell, all is ok. I am kind of suspect of the exhaust section of the turbo as the front seems to be ok.I have also noticed that the spindle has a little more play in it than I remember it having. I can moved it back and forward, and up and down about a mm or so. doesn't appear to have any scratches or anything though. Edited 10/11/06 11:16 AM by bdazla
PSYCHO XRT THE PSYCHO XRT Legacy Donating Member 1,275 Member For: 20y 9m 26d Gender: Not Telling Location: At the lights! Posted 10/11/06 11:43 AM Posted 10/11/06 11:43 AM As the title suggests, has anyone damaged their turbo? what happened and what were the symptoms?I am having some problems with my car and I beleive it could be the turbo. I have noticed there is a slight knocking if I spin the turbo manually (I took the pipe off)and I have been having a problem when typically under boost. I seem to have a vibration and a dull growning noise. ←Like Adam said, check your turbo for any visible damage, eg, cracked or broken bits....The fins aka (rotor blades), could be rubbing on/against the turbo hsng, (Walls). Also check for broken bits in your piping, your dump-pipe and possibily your exhaust pipe.Check that your turbo bearing isnt suffering from oil starvation from the oil supply tube. It could be blocked which can make the bearing a bit noisy. ie, the dull growning noise your getting.Worse case scenario mate, get it checked by Ford.........Hope your engine is stock mate. Cheers,San.-
PSYCHO XRT THE PSYCHO XRT Legacy Donating Member 1,275 Member For: 20y 9m 26d Gender: Not Telling Location: At the lights! Posted 10/11/06 11:45 AM Posted 10/11/06 11:45 AM The front looks ok. can't say I'm an expert when it comes to cars but as far as I can tell, all is ok. I am kind of suspect of the exhaust section of the turbo as the front seems to be ok.I have also noticed that the spindle has a little more play in it than I remember it having. I can moved it back and forward, and up and down about a mm or so. doesn't appear to have any scratches or anything though.←I think its normal fo the spindle to have a bit of play/movement in them.
PSYCHO XRT THE PSYCHO XRT Legacy Donating Member 1,275 Member For: 20y 9m 26d Gender: Not Telling Location: At the lights! Posted 10/11/06 11:57 AM Posted 10/11/06 11:57 AM I am kind of suspect of the exhaust section of the turbo as the front seems to be ok.←If that's the case mate, take off your exhaust pipe and the dump pipe, and visually check for any damage on the turbo vanes itself buddy. While its all apart, check for any broken bits that could be in there.
simonhoare Member 85 Member For: 20y 28d Location: S.A Posted 13/11/06 03:16 PM Posted 13/11/06 03:16 PM yeah check that inline filter in oil supply line behind the pressure sender but sounds like damage is already done. good luck. warranty?
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 13/11/06 10:24 PM Posted 13/11/06 10:24 PM (edited) As the title suggests, has anyone damaged their turbo? what happened and what were the symptoms?I am having some problems with my car and I beleive it could be the turbo. I have noticed there is a slight knocking if I spin the turbo manually (I took the pipe off)and I have been having a problem when typically under boost. I seem to have a vibration and a dull growning noise. ←I have had a bearing pack replaced, but only symptom I had was a little noise when the turbo was spinning down after the engine was turned off.A little play in the bearing is NO indication that it is damaged, but spinning it with your fingers it should be very smooth to turn, and if you run your car for a while and turn off the engine, then the sound fron the turbo should continue for 15 - 20 seconds, and not make a lot of noise, but only a slight whirring noise. I also had some compressor wheel damage, probably due to some of the coating on the cross-over pipe flaking off on the inside, and making its way into the turbo.It wasn't too bad though, and could be buffed out.The whole repair cost about $850 at TurboTech here in Perth, good as new now Edited 13/11/06 10:28 PM by Ninka
bdazla Legacy Donating Member 71 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Posted 13/11/06 11:42 PM Author Posted 13/11/06 11:42 PM yeah check that inline filter in oil supply line behind the pressure sender but sounds like damage is already done. good luck. warranty? ←have you got any pics of the filter? I'm not 100% sure where that is. Thanks
simonhoare Member 85 Member For: 20y 28d Location: S.A Posted 15/11/06 08:38 AM Posted 15/11/06 08:38 AM sorry no photos but if you follow oil supply line around to where it attachs to the block under manifold you will see the oil pressure switch remove switch makes it easier, there is a large hex fitting there holding oil line onto block. remove this and the filter is inside held in with a small circlip remove circlip and filter , clean with a degreaser. while parts are removed best to take complete oil line of and clean,apply a VAREY THIN SMERE of good sealer to threads and sealing washers and do not over tighten as oil pipe is easly bent and damaged.all of this is easily done with air cleaner housing removed. hope this helps?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now