Is The Gt Diff The Same As The Xr6t?

Mondie

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

l was wondering if anyone knew if the diff used in the GT is the same as in the XR6T. l read in the GT review in Unique Cars that the diff is made by "Dana", l thought BTR made the XR6T diff.

If its different then maybe the GT wont have the same driveleine bangs/clunks that our car has from the low spec diff. l think our car is actually getting worse, or l have become accustomed to the car and the diff now seems that much worse. On the cold mornings we are starting to get, the gearbox/diff feel like something from the Flintstones until things warm up a bit. Anyone else noticed this?

It's a big disappointment to me on such a great car. :(

• Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 23d

appart from the actual gear ratio the 2 diffs are basically the same. they are made by Dana! The reason the xr8-gt doesn't have the driveline shunt is because it has been calibrated out though the ECU with the electronic throttle. You know how in your car if your smooth in applying the throttle it doesn't bang, that's exactly what the v8's ECU does. It slows down the throttle changes to stop the shunt. Apparently the driveline in the v8s is actually worse for the shunt than the turbos and lower! why they didn't calibrate it out of all the cars I don't know but I hope they do in the near future as I like you think its getting worse over time!

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

that's interesting harasn,

l hope Ford does do some reprogramming of the ECU to remove the shunt as l assume this could be uploaded to our cars. It beats me why Ford never did this for the XR6 in the first place, its a stupid problem to have in such an otherwise refined car and it doesnt even need to be there :blink:

l really notice the shunt now and its annoying, keep thinking how great the car would be if it didnt clunk and bang. Not impressive at all.

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 5m 12d
appart from the actual gear ratio the 2 diffs are basically the same. they are made by Dana!

According to the Ford website the GT and XR6T both have the same ratio. (3.45:1) The XR8 has a taller ratio.(3.23:1)