Pulsar external wastegate turbine housing

Gaz084

• Member For: 9y 8m 21d

Hi Guys.

I have just purchased one of these with a 45mm turbosmart hypergate.

PULSAR External Wastegate Ford Falcon FG/FGX XR6 5-Bolt Turbine housin – Pulsar Turbos Australia

The wastegate is set from factory with 14psi of spring pressure...currently the car is tuned to 12psi,can I  set the wastegate to 7psi by removing the inner spring and still drive around while trying to keep it of boost until I get a tune done or should I just wait until im ready for the tune?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 18d

Yes, you can. Spring pressure is minimum boost pressure :) So removing a spring to make it 7psi, will suit your current tune.

The only concern may be that your tune is using the stock/OEM wastegate, so you might have issues with overboost, so best to not hammer it on the way to the tuner.

• Member For: 9y 8m 21d

Ahh I didnt know that I was under the assumption that the spring pressure was maximum boost pressure.

I had This current engine rebuilt from an overboost ,so I am a little nervous it will happen again....would it be worth while getting an over boost valve or am I just being paranoid.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 18d

as long as the tune is good and you keep on top of it mechanically and sympathetically (e.g. you don't let plumbing issues cause overboost and/or keep your right foot ready to release when you see boost spiking) then there's less risk of grenading an engine... although with any "increase of power" modifications, means there's more risk of engine damage... as the saying goes, "you play, you pay".

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 29d

No it ain't normal but it won't really matter. You can file it a little bit if you want or just run it as is. As long as it isn't touching the turbine housing it'll be fine.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 29d

No it won't come on as quickly, depending on things it'll be about 500rpm later. The more boost a turbo has to make the later it'll reach full boost and various supporting parts also make a difference, so there isn't always an exact answer.